OC'ing the MSI GTX 960 Gaming

Hey there. smile.gif

Any of you know how much i can safely overclock my MSI Geforce GTX 960 Gaming?

I haven't done much oc'ing on MSI's Gaming series cards so i wanted to ask you guys first. smile.gif

I've heard that the twin fan cooling on these cards is really really good so any advice on how much i should OC it? smile.gif

One of my friends almost did a 200Mhz OC on his GTX 970 Gaming, but i don't know if that's possible on this card too. smile.gif

We can never estimate how much you will be able to push your card safely, its all up to the silicone in the card. For now just try pushing it gradually to see where you can get it to.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

We can never estimate how much you will be able to push your card safely, its all up to the silicone in the card. For now just try pushing it gradually to see where you can get it to.

ok thanks for the advice. :) Do you think that increasing the clock in increments of 10mhz is ok and then when it becomes unstable give it a bit more voltage until i can't go any high or until it gets too hot?

1 minute ago, DjZaze said:

ok thanks for the advice. :) Do you think that increasing the clock in increments of 10mhz is ok and then when it becomes unstable give it a bit more voltage until i can't go any high or until it gets too hot?

The 960 won't get too hot anytime soon with that cooler, just try increasing the clock now alone, maybe in bigger increments like 40 Mhz.

Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

The 960 won't get too hot anytime soon with that cooler, just try increasing the clock now alone, maybe in bigger increments like 40 Mhz.

will do. :) I'll update with screengrabs when i get a stable OC on it with included screengrab of stock speeds, OC speeds, temps and benchmark results. :) might be a couple of hours though. :)

8 hours ago, DjZaze said:

will do. :) I'll update with screengrabs when i get a stable OC on it with included screengrab of stock speeds, OC speeds, temps and benchmark results. :) might be a couple of hours though. :)

Unfortunately i didn't figure out how to take screenshots from inside BF4, but it ran smoothly at 75fps with this OC for over two hours. ;)
I'm pretty happy with a clockspeed of 1513mhz. :) It's alot higher than what i expected to get. :)

OC.PNG

Really should be able to get more out of the memory than that.  I'd shoot for 150+ offset or more.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

1 hour ago, DjZaze said:

Unfortunately i didn't figure out how to take screenshots from inside BF4, but it ran smoothly at 75fps with this OC for over two hours. ;)
I'm pretty happy with a clockspeed of 1513mhz. :) It's alot higher than what i expected to get. :)

OC.PNG

I will try to push the memory now.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

I will try to push the memory now.

I'll do that tomorrow, it's getting late here in Denmark so no more OC'ing for me today. :)

I was able to oc my 960 to 1575mhz and +410 on the memory.

It would depend on the model you bought.

The one I have is an EVGA SSC.  Manufacturers know this so they create SC and SSC variants of their cards and charge more money..

GPU oc doesn't help as much.  The most I've seen is a 9 fps increase on certain games.

The 960 is a great card.  Nvidia should have given it 3GB ram.  4GB is too much for it to handle and 2GB is too little.

9 minutes ago, max_headroom said:

I was able to oc my 960 to 1575mhz and +410 on the memory.

It would depend on the model you bought.

The one I have is an EVGA SSC.  Manufacturers know this so they create SC and SSC variants of their cards and charge more money..

GPU oc doesn't help as much.  The most I've seen is a 9 fps increase on certain games.

The 960 is a great card.  Nvidia should have given it 3GB ram.  4GB is too much for it to handle and 2GB is too little.

that is some really high overclocks there ... sweet deal