What are the updates to avoid for Windows 8.1?

I couldn't find a recent, complete list of the updates to avoid for windows 8.1.

If someone knows them or can link me somewhere, I'd appreciate it.

I particularly want to avoid updates that upgrade you to windows 10.

Are there any 'important' updates to avoid or just optional and recommended?

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Do not ignore any updates as they are there for a reason. There is a windows 10 upgrade that literally says Windows 10 Upgrade. Install everything else, i'm really not sure why you'd be avoiding installing updates considering how crucial and important some of them can be. 

1 minute ago, Jon Trollston said:

Do not ignore any updates as they are there for a reason. There is a windows 10 upgrade that literally says Windows 10 Upgrade. Install everything else, i'm really not sure why you'd be avoiding installing updates considering how crucial and important some of them can be. 

Not interested in the 'telemetry' updates and such, and I don't want windows 10. Certain updates contain this stuff, I'm asking which ones have it so I can avoid those and just install the actual, useful updates.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Just now, Admiral Naismith said:

Not interested in the 'telemetry' updates and such, and I don't want windows 10. Certain updates contain this stuff, I'm asking which ones have it so I can avoid those and just install the actual, useful updates.

Then downgrade to windows xp and turn off your internet connection. No more microsoft spying on you. 

4 minutes ago, Jon Trollston said:

Then downgrade to windows xp and turn off your internet connection. No more microsoft spying on you. 

ffs I'm asking what updates aren't relevant and are potentially just going to cause problems. I do not want windows 10 related updates 'just in case'. Upgrading would be a massive pain in the ass since many of the programs I use on a daily basis don't work that well on Win 10. The telemetry updates are more of 'in case you know them'. Ask a simple question....

17 minutes ago, Jon Trollston said:

This right here.  You should be installing ALL updates.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

8 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

ffs I'm asking what updates aren't relevant and are potentially just going to cause problems. I do not want windows 10 related updates 'just in case'. Upgrading would be a massive pain in the ass since many of the programs I use on a daily basis don't work that well on Win 10. The telemetry updates are more of 'in case you know them'. Ask a simple question....

The windows 10 upgrade is clearly marked. If you are really paranoid, you can go through and write down the exact number of each available update. Then go to microsoft's website and check what it does. 

16 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

Look, no one (and I mean quite literally no one on this planet) knows what you want.  I can tell you what I want, someone else can tell you what they want, and so on.  And you might find someone that aligns with your views well enough that you can use their "list" and be happy.

And by saying that, you will need to educate yourself (and if you really educated yourself you'd know to install all of the updates anyways) and go look up each update.  Honestly it should only take your a hour or two to go through each update and understand what it does anyways.

Good luck, and install all the updates.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

5 minutes ago, Jon Trollston said:

The windows 10 upgrade is clearly marked. If you are really paranoid, you can go through and write down the exact number of each available update. Then go to microsoft's website and check what it does. 

You don't even have to do that, just right click the update and click view info...  It will take you right to the KB article.

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

snip

I'm referring to updates like KB 3035583. I figured there would be someone with a list of the 'unnecessary windows 10-related updates' that would be simple. Seems I'm mistaken. Sorry to bother you guys.

1 minute ago, Admiral Naismith said:

I'm referring to updates like KB 3035583. I figured there would be someone with a list of the 'unnecessary windows 10-related updates' that would be simple. Seems I'm mistaken. Sorry to bother you guys.

There you go, now you know 1 update that you don't want to install.  See, being a admin isn't hard afterall!

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Admiral Naismith said:

Windows 8 has telemetry data collecting since day 1.

Windows 7 also.. and same for Vista, and XP. (was introduced in XP days).

So, I don't know what you are trying to avoid.

But I guess... get Windows 2000 ?!?! There is also no activation system.

But if you ware interested on how Microsoft is making use of it, here are 2 links, one recent, one from the development days of Windows 8.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-insider-hubs-latest-made-highlights-audio-troubleshooting

(original source - image as you don't have Windows 10, nor part of Windows Insider: http://i.imgur.com/Y7RJrvN.png)

And second link: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/b8/2012/05/21/enhancing-windows-8-for-multiple-monitors/