MSI Gaming LE Cards

JFischer00

What is the point of MSI Gaming LE cards? They're cheaper than "regular" MSI Gaming cards and the only difference seems to be slightly lower clock speeds. Am I missing something or is that it?

Theoretically they should overclock worse. Just worse quality chips IIRC. "Theoretically".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, mikat said:

less luck in the silicon lottery?

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Theoretically they should overclock worse. Just worse quality chips IIRC. "Theoretically".

So I'm not missing anything? It's just the GPU version of say, an i5-4590 v.s. an i5-4690? (haha Google wanted to correct that to 4690k)

3 minutes ago, JFischer00 said:

So I'm not missing anything? It's just the GPU version of say, an i5-4590 v.s. an i5-4690? (haha Google wanted to correct that to 4690k)

Well, depends. If you want to have a better chance of getting good overclocks, get the regular version. If you don't overclock, get the LE one

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, JFischer00 said:

no, not missing anything if you're not planning on running high overclocks :)

and that is not a good comparison.

silicon lottery explained: (sort of)

Just now, mikat said:

no, not missing anything if you're not planning on running high overclocks :)

and that is not a good comparison.

silicon lottery explained: (sort of)

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, depends. If you want to have a better chance of getting good overclocks, get the regular version. If you don't overclock, get the LE one

Ok, well I'll probably go with the LE version to save some money.

2 minutes ago, JFischer00 said:

Ok, well I'll probably go with the LE version to save some money.

I bought a MSI R9 380 4GB LE, and I was able to clock mine up to what the OC version was and have no issues , I tried to go past it a little but new to overclocking and stopped before I messed something up. Ill try again at some point now that I got a new system. 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

3 hours ago, JFischer00 said:

What is the point of MSI Gaming LE cards? They're cheaper than "regular" MSI Gaming cards and the only difference seems to be slightly lower clock speeds. Am I missing something or is that it?

If you're not planning on overclocking, there won't be much difference at all.  If you plan on overclocking, stay away from them, as they're power limited and voltage locked.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10