Transporting my desktop.

So I'm in university in the uk and needing to get home for Easter break. I want to take my gaming PC home with me but one of my housemates naively threw away my case box that I usually use to ship my PC in through a courier. So I'm a bit stuck here. I'm thinking that I'm going to try and transport the PC in my suitcase with my clothes as a cusion to protect it. As I'll be handling the case myself I know that it won't be thrown around and I won't have to worry about it getting damaged that way but I'm bait concerned that the static that my clothes will generate will shock my PC. 

Im thinking it should be OK as all of the parts are in the case and the static should dissipate but I'm not 100%. What do you guys think? I was also thinking of maybe attaching a metal wire to the case and tying it around the metal poles that run through the suitcase to ground it.

ps. I know this is a stupid way of doing it but I'm a bit stuck for options until I get back home as I have a spare box I can use to go back to my old ways. 

Welcome to the forums.

Just cover up the IO port with something (cardboard and tape?!). The rest will be fine as long as it does not touch any components. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

3 minutes ago, TomXD1 said:

So I'm in university in the uk and needing to get home for Easter break. I want to take my gaming PC home with me but one of my housemates naively threw away my case box that I usually use to ship my PC in through a courier. So I'm a bit stuck here. I'm thinking that I'm going to try and transport the PC in my suitcase with my clothes as a cusion to protect it. As I'll be handling the case myself I know that it won't be thrown around and I won't have to worry about it getting damaged that way but I'm bait concerned that the static that my clothes will generate will shock my PC. 

Im thinking it should be OK as all of the parts are in the case and the static should dissipate but I'm not 100%. What do you guys think? I was also thinking of maybe attaching a metal wire to the case and tying it around the metal poles that run through the suitcase to ground it.

ps. I know this is a stupid way of doing it but I'm a bit stuck for options until I get back home as I have a spare box I can use to go back to my old ways. 

Did the same thing with ps4 wrapped it in bubble wrap and put a lock on the case. It was fine nothing happens to it 

|| CPU Intel Core i7‑4790K 4.9 Ghz || Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition || RAM corsair vengeance pro 4x8gb 2400mhz || GPU msi msi twin frozr gtx 1080 8g sli x2 || Case nzxt phantom 410 || Cooling corsair h100i ||

Wrap it up and take it to a courier to ship home?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i just put my on my passanger seat and seatbelt it in xD

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

I forgot to mention I am going home on the train. 

7 minutes ago, TomXD1 said:

I forgot to mention I am going home on the train. 

I thought it was a plane...it it's small just bring it on board with you.

Unless it's some behemoth case it should be easy to carry around. If not, leave your clothes behind...wearing underwear is only ever a suggestion ;) 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

id worry about the GPU in the PCIe slot. I've seen PCIe slots get ripped off from being jostled before, not pretty. Take the GPU out if you can. Also if you have a large heavy heatsink I'd worry about that too..

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

I thought it was a plane...it it's small just bring it on board with you.

Unless it's some behemoth case it should be easy to carry around. If not, leave your clothes behind...wearing underwear is only ever a suggestion ;) 

It's a midi tower case but I'm just worried about frying my components.

6 minutes ago, TomXD1 said:

It's a midi tower case but I'm just worried about frying my components.

oh. cover the ports with something non conductive and I suggest removing the gpu if it's a fatty and putting it in an anti-static bag separately if you have one.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Great excuse to do a whole new mini-itx build! ;)

I wouldn't even entertain the idea of taking my PC on a train unless the case it was in had wheels. It will be an awful experience. If you're going to do this often, maybe invest in a hard plastic case like this? http://tinyurl.com/zqptufu Unfortunately this particular one is only 390mm wide, but the depth and height of it are enough for mid towers.

You might be able to get a 2nd hand one if cost is a problem, and then you could make your own foam inserts using upholstery (seat cushion) foam.

6 hours ago, Ykno said:

i just put my on my passanger seat and seatbelt it in xD

This, before I had a gaming laptop I would take my desktop to college. I would just buckle it in, drive to college, than wheel in a corsair 760T on a skateboard. Good times.