Nvidia Surround + Overclocked Monitors

xBlizzDevious

Hey all, I've been using Windows 10 for a while now and I can't be bothered with it any more so I've switched back to Windows 7. However, I have come across one issue: I can no longer run my 60Hz monitors at 75Hz while in surround.

With Windows 10, it was as simple as set custom resolutions in the Nvidia Control Panel at 75Hz and then create the Surround config. Then I have 3240x1920 across three panels running at 75Hz.
I tried doing exactly that with Windows 7 and it simply reverts to 60Hz with no option to change it to 75Hz. Each panel works fine on its own at 75Hz but not together.

It used to work with my AMD GPUs before I upgraded but I had to use the Custom Resolution Utility, so I thought I'd try that with Nvidia instead of their own but that didn't work either.

Any ideas? I really want to get this working and I know it can.

Note: once in an Nvidia Surround setup, you can no longer create custom resolutions.

4 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Hey all, I've been using Windows 10 for a while now and I can't be bothered with it any more so I've switched back to Windows 7. However, I have come across one issue: I can no longer run my 60Hz monitors at 75Hz while in surround.

With Windows 10, it was as simple as set custom resolutions in the Nvidia Control Panel at 75Hz and then create the Surround config. Then I have 3240x1920 across three panels running at 75Hz.
I tried doing exactly that with Windows 7 and it simply reverts to 60Hz with no option to change it to 75Hz. Each panel works fine on its own at 75Hz but not together.

It used to work with my AMD GPUs before I upgraded but I had to use the Custom Resolution Utility, so I thought I'd try that with Nvidia instead of their own but that didn't work either.

Any ideas? I really want to get this working and I know it can.

Note: once in an Nvidia Surround setup, you can no longer create custom resolutions.

well the simple solution is to revert to Win10

there are programs that can give it a Win7 "feel" (specifically the start menu)

you could also try 8.1 (same programs exist)

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Its not what you want to hear, but I would just go back to Windows 10, it just makes the most sense going forwards

really dont see what there isnt to like

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

use windows 10

its a lot better than 7

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

well the simple solution is to revert to Win10

there are programs that can give it a Win7 "feel" (specifically the start menu)

you could also try 8.1 (same programs exist)

14 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Its not what you want to hear, but I would just go back to Windows 10, it just makes the most sense going forwards

really dont see what there isnt to like

I don't know what it is about how I use my computer that is just SO much different to everyone else but I cannot get used to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. I've used all of them for several months and just cannot get used to them.

I don't dislike the look of Windows 10 - I can disable the apps that I don't want and mostly get rid of the excess crap that comes with it. I just don't find it as stable as Windows 7 and I constantly have issues with program incompatibility and there aren't alternatives - or at least ones that suite my needs. Generally because they're quite niche programs, but whatever. As for one of the major issues I have with 10, see here (note the complete lack of responses):

No games I play have seen DX12 yet, so there's no benefit there either. And general use of Windows 10 (for me) is nowhere near as simple as 7. For example, "Favourites" on the left pane of an explorer window is used by myself quite regularly. I have network drive folders in there as well as things like my steam directory (to save me finding it when I need to go there). On 7, I can rename things there as it's a simple shortcut. That has been replaced with "Quick Access" on Windows 10 and it's literally holds the folder so you can't name it something different to what the folder is. Another example is that I can't pin saved RDP connections to the start menu. Minor issues, I know, but there are loads of these minor issues and (excuse the language) I really just can't be arsed with dealing with it.

If I can't have the perfect OS, I'll take the one that's as close to it as I can get. Windows is moving further and further away from the "perfect" OS for me so I'm not going to use it. If there are things I want to use that only work on 10, I may dual-boot, but it can stay on the shelf for now.

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

use windows 10

its a lot better than 7

Read above. I quite simply, completely disagree.

Does anyone have any information actually related to the topic? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Try roll back to older drivers? perhaps something changed with a driver update and it no longer works on older versions of windows?

or perhaps that feature was never introduced for the W7 version of the drivers?

did it work on 7 before?

(Eventually you are going to have to move on, 7 will stop being supported, and things will start forcing you and pushing you to update

I must be a super simple use as I've literally never noticed those things, or maybe I just adapted better to the changes

You could always use a program like classicshell to give you the windows 7 interface back)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Try roll back to older drivers? perhaps something changed with a driver update and it no longer works on older versions of windows?

or perhaps that feature was never introduced for the W7 version of the drivers?

did it work on 7 before?

(Eventually you are going to have to move on, 7 will stop being supported, and things will start forcing you and pushing you to update

I must be a super simple use as I've literally never noticed those things, or maybe I just adapted better to the changes

You could always use a program like classicshell to give you the windows 7 interface back)

I've tried ClassicShell - it doesn't fix either of the two minor issues and I can't imagine it would have an effect on that more major issue I linked. Even if it did, I'm happy to use the start menu of Windows 10 if the rest of it works fine. ClassicShell is just more crap to run on startup and have to install when I reformat (which is more regularly than most people).

I guess older drivers is a good idea - I never tested it on Windows 7 with the 980Ti as I ran a fresh install of Windows 10 when I got the GPU.

1 minute ago, xBlizzDevious said:

I guess older drivers is a good idea 

Worth a try, dont forget the latest nvidia drivers are fucked anyway, could have caused further issues

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Worth a try, dont forget the latest nvidia drivers are fucked anyway, could have caused further issues

364.51? I haven't noticed any issues yet myself apart from the inability to run overclocked monitors in surround.

D'you know what's really funny? Everyone always bitches about AMD's drivers being useless compared to Nvidia's. I've had more issues with Nvidia's drivers in the past couple of months that I've had a SINGLE Nvidia GPU than I have had with THREE AMD GPUs over the past 3-4 years...

364.51? I haven't noticed any issues yet myself apart from the inability to run overclocked monitors in surround.

D'you know what's really funny? Everyone always bitches about AMD's drivers being useless compared to Nvidia's. I've had more issues with Nvidia's drivers in the past couple of months that I've had a SINGLE Nvidia GPU than I have had with THREE AMD GPUs over the past 3-4 years...

I definitely have more issues with AMD drivers and their bad software and none with my Nvidia ones

and no issues with 10 :D

maybe its just you haha

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I definitely have more issues with AMD drivers and their bad software and none with my Nvidia ones

and no issues with 10 :D

maybe its just you haha

Hahaha! I do wonder sometimes.

39 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Uhhh... Well, it worked. Sort of. I set the screens up with their OC settings, then proceeded to create the Surround setup and it showed an option for 75Hz. Added it and then applied, left Nvidia Control Panel and went back in and it was still reporting 75Hz. So I changed the taskbar span option and maximise to full window option and restarted. Both of those options reset and I now only have 60Hz available.

So I went to disable the Surround view and it will not let me. I uncheck the box and it flashes off then straight back on. Go into configure and disable and it does nothing. Huh.

1 minute ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Uhhh... Well, it worked. Sort of

thats, strange

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

thats, strange

Yeah, no kidding. I'm just trying another version. If that fails, I'll attempt the "un-plug and re-plug everything" option.

1 hour ago, xBlizzDevious said:

most of your issues are probably because you upgraded instead of clean installing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

most of your issues are probably because you upgraded instead of clean installing

Thats true, it can cause a few problems with old software/drivers trying to run etc

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Thats true, it can cause a few problems with old software/drivers trying to run etc

Yeah. It does. Hence this statement:

2 hours ago, xBlizzDevious said:

as I ran a fresh install of Windows 10 when I got the GPU

I always run a fresh install of things. I never "upgrade" the OS. I reformat on a regular basis because if you update the same drivers regularly, you're bound to run in to some issues eventually. Apart from that, it clears out all the crap that's been building up and keeps your PC running as fast as it can.

So, Enderman, in response to that message, none of my issues are from "upgrading" - and I use that term loosely. I don't know why nothing ever works, but it doesn't.

Yeah. It does. Hence this statement:

I always run a fresh install of things. I never "upgrade" the OS. I reformat on a regular basis because if you update the same drivers regularly, you're bound to run in to some issues eventually. Apart from that, it clears out all the crap that's been building up and keeps your PC running as fast as it can.

So, Enderman, in response to that message, none of my issues are from "upgrading" - and I use that term loosely. I don't know why nothing ever works, but it doesn't.

well a lot of the stuff youre complaining about such as shortcuts and whatnot can be fixed with a bit of research and configuration

you can make custom links in the start menu that go to any folder or setting

or you can set up programs to launch when you click an item in the start menu

and idk what programs youre using but so far all of my windows 7/xp only programs run perfectly on windows 10

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

well a lot of the stuff youre complaining about such as shortcuts and whatnot can be fixed with a bit of research and configuration

you can make custom links in the start menu that go to any folder or setting

or you can set up programs to launch when you click an item in the start menu

Quite possibly you can, but really? Natively, quickly and easily supported in prior version of the OS and now you have to research some probably unsupported tweak that may or may not solve the issue? No thanks. I'll take the already working as intended software.

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

and idk what programs youre using but so far all of my windows 7/xp only programs run perfectly on windows 10

Obviously not the same programs as me. I've noticed a couple of programs that don't work. Nothing major, but all things that I use every now and then and would like to not have to have a Windows 7 machine around as well just to use those when I need to.

44 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

No thanks. I'll take the already working as intended software.

If that's your attitude about life then you're not gonna be happy a lot :P

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If that's your attitude about life then you're not gonna be happy a lot :P

What's wrong with being happy with what you've already got?

And Windows 7 or Windows 10 doesn't exactly mean "life".

As the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Windows 7 (mostly) wasn't broken. Why did they make 8 and 10 so broken in comparison? Or maybe I was broken in the first place and so myself and Windows 7 went together great but 10 (which supposedly works perfectly for everyone) doesn't work for me because I'm still broken?

So... Can I suggest something?

Question: How can I set up Nvidia Surround with overclocked monitors in Windows 7?

Simple question and the answer CANNOT be "just use Windows 10".

8 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

So... Can I suggest something?

Question: How can I set up Nvidia Surround with overclocked monitors in Windows 7?

Simple question and the answer CANNOT be "just use Windows 10".

You said you had it working before right?

Have you tried clean installing windows 7 if you havent already?

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You said you had it working before right?

Have you tried clean installing windows 7 if you havent already?

I had it working on Windows 7 with an AMD Crossfire setup. I've now got an Nvidia GPU so it's a different configuration. This is a fresh install of Windows from just last night. Installed motherboard drivers, installed Nvidia drivers and then tried setting this up. I've since installed all of the Windows updates and have tried a few different driver versions dating over the last few months and it still doesn't work.

Edit: I should note that I tried configuring it with the Custom Resolution Utility somewhere after the first attempt with Nvidia drivers.

4 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

I had it working on Windows 7 with an AMD Crossfire setup. I've now got an Nvidia GPU so it's a different configuration. This is a fresh install of Windows from just last night. Installed motherboard drivers, installed Nvidia drivers and then tried setting this up. I've since installed all of the Windows updates and have tried a few different driver versions dating over the last few months and it still doesn't work.

Edit: I should note that I tried configuring it with the Custom Resolution Utility somewhere after the first attempt with Nvidia drivers.

what custom resolution utility?

are you taking about the one in nvidia control panel?

thats the only one i know of

Spoiler