Execute f.bat in DOS?

Go to solution Solved by Benergy,
1 minute ago, Jerochy said:

alright this is what I got when I typed dir

Oh boy. OK so it looks like your USB stick becomes the C drive when you boot into DOS.

What you need to do is boot back into windows, copy the whole M15R1A09 on to your USB stick, then boot back into DOS.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to update the BIOS on my m15x as I'm upgrading the GPU, and I'm unsure of what to type in the DOS window when I boot from my USB. I downloaded the BIOS update .exe, extracted it to \dell\drivers and copied the contents of that to my bootable USB. When I get into the DOS window, I get >C: and dell tells me to type " C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 " but that didn't do anything for me. So I'm thinking that executing f.bat will do it instead of typing " C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 ", but I'm not sure what to type. just "f.bat"? Thanks

I think u need to type "CD  C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 " and then type F.bat.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

6 minutes ago, Jerochy said:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to update the BIOS on my m15x as I'm upgrading the GPU, and I'm unsure of what to type in the DOS window when I boot from my USB. I downloaded the BIOS update .exe, extracted it to \dell\drivers and copied the contents of that to my bootable USB. When I get into the DOS window, I get >C: and dell tells me to type " C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 " but that didn't do anything for me. So I'm thinking that executing f.bat will do it instead of typing " C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 ", but I'm not sure what to type. just "f.bat"? Thanks

You were supposed to download R293649.zip, and extract it to the C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 folder while still in windows.

Then when you're in the standalone DOS environment, you type 'cd C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09' and from there, typing f.bat should hopefully run it

Almost as cool as my temps  

15 minutes ago, Benergy said:

You were supposed to download R293649.zip, and extract it to the C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 folder while still in windows.

Then when you're in the standalone DOS environment, you type 'cd C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09' and from there, typing f.bat should hopefully run it

;Woah wait so I don't need to use a bootable USB to update this BIOS? I was under the impression I had to boot from USB with the info on my USB. So I downloaded the executable, extracted the info to  \DELL\DRIVERS\R293649, and now how do I get tot he standalone DOS environment that you're talking about? 

8 minutes ago, Jerochy said:

;Woah wait so I don't need to use a bootable USB to update this BIOS? I was under the impression I had to boot from USB with the info on my USB. So I downloaded the executable, extracted the info to  \DELL\DRIVERS\R293649, and now how do I get tot he standalone DOS environment that you're talking about? 

Hold up here, your bootable USB is the standalone DOS environment.

You extract the files from the EXE in Windows, to get the files ready to install after you've shutdown and then booted into DOS.

From that DOS 'command line' interface, you are running a batch file, which will install the BIOS update - from the files that you extracted from the EXE in Windows.

2 minutes ago, Benergy said:

Hold up here, your bootable USB is the standalone DOS environment.

You extract the zip in Windows, to get the files ready to install after you've shutdown and then booted into DOS.

From that DOS 'command line' interface, you are running a batch file, which will install the BIOS update.

Alright sorry if I seem like an idiot. 

So I extracted the bios update .exe from dell, put in in \dell\drivers on my C drive, and I used rufus to make my 8gb USB stick bootable. Now, do I need to copy any files on the the USB stick, or did I just make it bootable to get into a stand alone dos environment like you said? And if so, do I literally just type "  cd C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09 " when I get to the dos window when it has something like C>\: ? 

The first time I tried to update the bios, I did extract everything to \dell\drivers before and did everything dell said and typed " C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09 " and I kept getting an error, but it might be because I didn't type that "cd" before it. 

Thanks for all your help man. 

7 minutes ago, Jerochy said:

Alright sorry if I seem like an idiot. 

So I extracted the bios update .exe from dell, put in in \dell\drivers on my C drive, and I used rufus to make my 8gb USB stick bootable. Now, do I need to copy any files on the the USB stick, or did I just make it bootable to get into a stand alone dos environment like you said? And if so, do I literally just type "  cd C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09 " when I get to the dos window when it has something like C>\: ? 

The first time I tried to update the bios, I did extract everything to \dell\drivers before and did everything dell said and typed " C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09 " and I kept getting an error, but it might be because I didn't type that "cd" before it. 

Thanks for all your help man. 

Naw it's good, so were you able to boot into the DOS environment last time from your USB stick? 

The files are all on your Hard Drive (C:\), which you will still have access to in DOS, so you don't need to copy any extra files on to the USB stick.

'cd' means change directory, so for example:

If the command line says 'C>\:'  and you type in 'f.bat', it will try to run 'C:\f.bat', rather than 'C:\dell\drivers\R2393649\M15R1A09\f.bat'.

However, if you change directory first of all, it changes the directory you're 'working in' so to speak, so you would 'cd' into  'C:\dell\drivers\R2393649\M15R1A09'.

The command line should now look like 'C:\dell\drivers\R2393649\M15R1A09>' (or something similar) instead of 'C>\:' .

Now, if you type 'f.bat', it should run 'C:\dell\drivers\R2393649\M15R1A09\f.bat', because you're running a file in your active folder that you 'cd'-ed into.

Let me know if I'm not being clear

Naw it's good, so were you able to boot into the DOS environment last time from your USB stick? 

The files are all on your Hard Drive (C:\), which you will still have access to in DOS, so you don't need to copy any extra files on to the USB stick.

'cd' means change directory, so for example:

If the command line says 'C>\:'  and you type in 'f.bat', it will try to run 'C:\f.bat', rather than 'C:\dell\drivers\R2393649\M15R1A09\f.bat'.

However, if you change directory first of all, it changes the directory you're 'working in' so to speak, so you would 'cd' into  'C:\dell\drivers\R2393649\M15R1A09'.

The command line should now look like 'C:\dell\drivers\R2393649\M15R1A09>' (or something similar) instead of 'C>\:' .

Now, if you type 'f.bat', it should run 'C:\dell\drivers\R2393649\M15R1A09\f.bat', because you're running a file in your active folder that you 'cd'-ed into.

Let me know if I'm not being clear

Oh alright, well I formatted my USB stick again to just make it fresh, and made sure everything was unzipped to \dell\drivers. I'm gonna reboot, get to the boot menu, hopefully get to the DOS window, type "  cd C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09\f.bat " when I get to C>\: and hopefully it should run? If everything looks good here I'm gonna go for it when I see your OK ;)

Oh alright, well I formatted my USB stick again to just make it fresh, and made sure everything was unzipped to \dell\drivers. I'm gonna reboot, get to the boot menu, hopefully get to the DOS window, type "  cd C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09\f.bat " when I get to C>\: and hopefully it should run? If everything looks good here I'm gonna go for it when I see your OK ;)

Almost, but f.bat is a file not a directory, so you will type cd C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09 to get into the directory that the f.bat file is in.

Then you just type f.bat

(Alternatively, you can type in the whole path of the file to run it directly C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09\f.bat without the cd should also run it.)

It'd probably be a good idea to make sure f.bat is actually there too before you reboot, if you just navigate to that folder in Windows.

10 minutes ago, Benergy said:

Almost, but f.bat is a file not a directory, so you will type cd C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09 to get into the directory that the f.bat file is in.

Then you just type f.bat

(Alternatively, you can type in the whole path of the file to run it directly C:\dell\drivers\R293649\M15R1A09\f.bat without the cd should also run it.)

It'd probably be a good idea to make sure f.bat is actually there too before you reboot, if you just navigate to that folder in Windows.

this is what I'm getting right now. I tried a couple variants of the path, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?

WP_20160313_005.jpg

Just now, Jerochy said:

this is what I'm getting right now. I tried a couple variants of the path, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?

WP_20160313_005.jpg

You need to type cd each time you try a new path, type cd C:\Dell

If you use the 'dir' command, it will give you a list of files/folders in your current active folder, allowing you to navigate them.

e.g. if you type dir inside C:\Dell it should tell you the drivers folder is inside, so then you could type cd C:\dell\drivers and so on.

You need to type cd each time you try a new path, type cd C:\Dell

If you use the 'dir' command, it will give you a list of files/folders in your current active folder, allowing you to navigate them.

e.g. if you type dir inside C:\Dell it should tell you the drivers folder is inside, so then you could type cd C:\dell\drivers and so on.

when I type "cd C:\dell " I get a CHDIR failed.

WP_20160313_006.jpg

Just now, Jerochy said:

when I type "cd C:\dell " I get a CHDIR failed.

Try omitting the C:\, and typing 'cd DELL'

Just now, Benergy said:

Try omitting the C:\, and typing 'cd DELL'

still getting CHDIR failed :[

Just now, Jerochy said:

still getting CHDIR failed :[

Type 'dir' to get a list of folders in C:\

It's looking like the DELL folder doesn't exist .

Type 'dir' to get a list of folders in C:\

It's looking like the DELL folder doesn't exist .

WP_20160313_007.jpg

Oh boy. OK so it looks like your USB stick becomes the C drive when you boot into DOS.

What you need to do is boot back into windows, copy the whole M15R1A09 on to your USB stick, then boot back into DOS.

Ok once I got the m15r1a09 file on my USB, what file path should I be typing? Just "\m15r1a09" ? Do I need to do anything with that f.bat then? This is the stuff dell should have in the instructions on their instructions of installation and that's why I've been just so confused.

Just now, Jerochy said:

Ok once I got the m15r1a09 file on my USB, what file path should I be typing? Just "\m15r1a09" ? Do I need to do anything with that f.bat then? This is the stuff dell should have in the instructions on their instructions of installation and that's why I've been just so confused.

Yeah they should have it, although changing out the GPU probably doesn't happen that often.

Once you boot back up, you can do a 'dir' again to get the exact directory name you should 'cd' into, which will likely be \m15r1a09.

Once you've cd'ed, you can do another 'dir', and you should hopefully be able to see f.bat

If you can, type f.bat to run it :)

Yeah they should have it, although changing out the GPU probably doesn't happen that often.

Once you boot back up, you can do a 'dir' again to get the exact directory name you should 'cd' into, which will likely be \m15r1a09.

Once you've cd'ed, you can do another 'dir', and you should hopefully be able to see f.bat

I typed dir, saw the m15r1a09 folder, typed cd \m15r1a09 and got into that folder. I then typed dir again, but this is what I'm seeing. I don't see an f.bat. Should I just type f.bat anyway?

WP_20160313_009.jpg

Just now, Jerochy said:

I typed dir, saw the m15r1a09 folder, typed cd \m15r1a09 and got into that folder. I then typed dir again, but this is what I'm seeing. I don't see an f.bat. Should I just type f.bat anyway?

It's there, see where it says F on the left hand side? Then BAT as the file type to the right?

You should be able to run it now

5 minutes ago, Benergy said:

hahah nevermind I'm an idiot I see it now. I'm updating as we speak. Thanks a TON man. If you ever need a hookup in Rust or WoW, lemme know I got you son.

Just now, Benergy said:

It's there, see where it says F on the left hand side? Then BAT as the file type to the right?

Like literally, could not find anyone or anything experienced in doing this kind of BIOS update.

1 minute ago, Benergy said:

Ok it just beeped really !@#$ing loud and said flashing of memory complete and now it's just sitting in the DOS window with "C:\m15r1a09" on the screen and a blinking under score with nothing else. Is it safe to shutdown now? And the preferred method is to ctrl+alt+delete to shut down right?

2 minutes ago, Jerochy said:

Ok it just beeped really !@#$ing loud and said flashing of memory complete and now it's just sitting in the DOS window with "C:\m15r1a09" on the screen and a blinking under score with nothing else. Is it safe to shutdown now? And the preferred method is to ctrl+alt+delete to shut down right?

To do it from the command line, you can type 'shutdown -s'

Edit: oh yeah ctrl alt del works to restart too