windows 10 on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Server Dual Xeon 5060 DC 3.2GHz 16GB 2x 73GB PERC5i

can i use windows 10 on this Dell PowerEdge 2950 Server Dual Xeon 5060 DC 3.2GHz 16GB 2x 73GB PERC5i.

the part is???? dose windows 10 suport 2 cpu's???

You can always image the current os drive and try it out, if it doesn't work just restore the image.

I don't see why it wouldn't though, there isn't anything particularly special about dual cpus from a software perspective.

Don't know why you would want a pc os on a server though.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

21 minutes ago, michael bowhan said:

can i use windows 10 on this Dell PowerEdge 2950 Server Dual Xeon 5060 DC 3.2GHz 16GB 2x 73GB PERC5i.

the part is???? dose windows 10 suport 2 cpu's???

Yes you can... But why would you? You'd be better off running Windows server or Linux and virtualizing Windows 10 as a VM.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, michael bowhan said:

can it run windows 7 to than

Also yes, same as Windows 10. You're going to stick a GPU inside one of these? I hope you got it for free/super cheap. Keep in mind, this thing is going to sound like a jet engine.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i have a windows 7 pro copey will that upgrade to windows 10 pro or will that upgrade to windows 10 home

14 minutes ago, michael bowhan said:

i have a windows 7 pro copey will that upgrade to windows 10 pro or will that upgrade to windows 10 home

Pro will upgrade to pro.

thanks a tone all that helped... if i have more Q'S i will come back.. thanks

15 minutes ago, michael bowhan said:

how do i install windows 7 when i'm in windows server 2003????

The same way you install Windows 7 on any PC. You need a Windows 7 install DVD or bootable USB drive.

Did you not research that before going ahead with getting a used server for a budget gaming build?

i need to find the install files for windows 7 pro...

i don't have a windows install disc and i cant get the windows 7 iso to unpack ..there tools wont work on my windows xp rig that im useing...

$140 for the 2950 is too much, in my opinion of course. Performance will be quite sluggish when it's asked to do anything even remotely demanding.

Having said that they are a good basic platform for learning a bit more about server hardware.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Be prepared to spend an extra 1-200$ a month in power

2 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

$140 for the 2950 is too much, in my opinion of course. Performance will be quite sluggish when it's asked to do anything even remotely demanding.

Having said that they are a good basic platform for learning a bit more about server hardware.

so 2 3.2 ghz xeon 5060s is not enough for good rendering on videos.

7 hours ago, michael bowhan said:

i need to find the install files for windows 7 pro...

i don't have a windows install disc and i cant get the windows 7 iso to unpack ..there tools wont work on my windows xp rig that im useing...

You don't want to "unpack" the ISO. Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Plug in a USB stick, and point the program to your Windows 7 ISO. It will create a USB Installation Drive for you. Then you just boot off of the drive and install Windows like you would any other time.

What version of Windows (if any) came on the server, preinstalled? Is there a Windows Certificate of Authentication (CoA) Sticker on the case of the server somewhere? If so, it should have a product license key for the version it came with. Not all servers will have these though.

18 hours ago, michael bowhan said:

so 2 3.2 ghz xeon 5060s is not enough for good rendering on videos.

Having used these exact processor in the past in the very similar 2900, it will do what you ask, just not very quickly. You can see what I mean by running cinebench from it and looking at the score.

I know what your saying, 2 Xeons should surely be good for this, fact of the matter is that this CPU was released in 2006, its a dual core (4 threads) CPU and was by no means designed for a rendering type of workload.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications