Should I get a GPU

Okay I started off with 8mb graphics back in the late 90's.  I then upgraded to ATI graphics for my next two cards.  I then switched to Nvidia when AMD bought out ATI.   Now I am running a system with no GPU and just running the Intel Graphics off my 4440 which is the HD 4600.  I have a laptop that is also running without a graphics card.  Needless to say I been using the Intel graphics for a while now.  I typically play strategy games along with Kerbal Space Program.  I am not sure if I should upgrade or not.  I know that KSP lags when I have a lot of parts principally because it is 32bit and not 64 bit so it can not use my overkill RAM.  In any case the graphics do not look all that bad to be honest.  Should I continue rocking my system as is or should I look at a GPU. If you think I should get a new GPU which one looks good as I want to have something that can run 2 monitors. 

My System

I5 4440, 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 500GB 850evo SSD, 500GB Green WD, 3TB Green WD, 1050Ti, and more fun fun!

I would recommend upgrading to a GPU although some games can run on Intel HD Graphics alot of other game will require a graphics card to make it playable, choosing one would depend on how much you want to spend on the graphics card and most graphics card these days can run with 2 monitors without a problem.

A new GPU would do you wonders. However, if your only concern is KSP then I have you tell you that this game is very CPU bound due to it's large amount of physics calulations. This is the issue you're finding when you have a large amount of parts of a ship, about 200 or so?, is where you'd notice the large to start, this is where a GPU would not help you, neither would you RAM, yes KSP is 32bit but all that means is that it can't use more than 4gb of RAM which does not correlate with FPS or your CPU's processing power

200 parts is minor for me.  I built an ISS that was cool looking until the system blew it up.  But yeah the 32bit makes my 32gb of ram be unused.  Although now that my CPU is not thermal throttled I think it may work better.  In any case the only other games I hit hard is the Paradox games like EU3, HOI2 and Victoria. 

My System

I5 4440, 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 500GB 850evo SSD, 500GB Green WD, 3TB Green WD, 1050Ti, and more fun fun!

1 minute ago, mdhofstee said:

200 parts is minor for me.  I built an ISS that was cool looking until the system blew it up.  But yeah the 32bit makes my 32gb of ram be unused.  Although now that my CPU is not thermal throttled I think it may work better.  In any case the only other games I hit hard is the Paradox games like EU3, HOI2 and Victoria. 

Again, it's not the fact that it's 32bit holding you back. Yes that does mean you have unused RAM but using it wont magic FPS out of no where. I think the mode called "welder" or maybe "Part welder" something like that will help you out,  what it does it welds parts together, reducing your part count, this would help performance. 
As for the other games I cannot comment since I have no knowledge of their workings

Its okay I just do not think I will see much improvement unless I start game streaming.  With my 15 credits a semester and 40 hour weeks I would have to find some magical time piece that will allow me to go back and forth in time to do any serious video streaming.  As for the paradox games I think they are more CPU based as their graphics are minor to be honest.  They are more about AI control and how they will move and delegate the actions of their countries.  I still wonder why I ever went with 32GB of Ram.  I did run a prime number calculator that one of my classmates ran and I broke the program.  It was funny talking to him the next time and saying it broke and it was the java containers that broke not my system as I still had like 8gb of ram left to be used. 

My System

R9 380 is a neat upgrade

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I don't know how much you play or what you want to spend on a gpu. But as you only are talking about kerbal space program i would say go with a Gtx 750ti or the newer version Gtx 950.

I would say you should get a graphics card, but get a really basic one that just gives you a little boost if you don't see yourself playing that many intense games any time soon.

I'd have a look at the nvidia gt 470 as a nice basic starter that doesn;t cost too much.

Yeah I have dead 560 not a Ti but I am thinking about taking off the heat sink fan and putting it in my toaster oven.  Hmm not sure what I should do. 

My System