Do cpu's degrade in performance?

stan92

Do cpu's degrade in performance over time? and degrade in overclockability?

One topic! :D

And do not think they do.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

CPUs do not degrade over time in performance.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

@Godlygamer23 how are you sure of this?

Because I had an Intel Celeron for 10 years. It performed the same. And my Intel Pentium Dual Core laptop from 5 years ago performs the same.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

@ how did you make your memeber thing loading... instead of junior? also please reply to your case picture that i commented on

@ how did you make your memeber thing loading... instead of junior? also please reply to your case picture that i commented on

Just change your title to "Loading...". Profile>Edit my Profile>change the title>save.

Just change your title to "Loading...". Profile>Edit my Profile>change the title>save.

I don't see this option, screenshot?

i7-4770K, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB, Samsung 840 120GB, 2xSeagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Cooler, NZXT Phantom 820, Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold, 2xASUS VH238H Build Log- http://bit.ly/1bWZKu6

It dependent on the heat and voltage they are running at, as well as the time they are running for. Most cpu's may need a bit more voltage to get a higher if running high clocks after a while. It's very cpu dependent.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

everything degrades over time, but it's not something noticeable and not something you should worry about, ofcourse it depends abit on the voltage/heat you are trying running it on.

Running it with stock clocks won't effect on performance over time. With high OC (like @Jumper118 said) it might loose ability to hold oc after time. But you really can't notice it since I doubt you'll have same cpu over 10 years.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you overclock your CPU your silicon will begin to degrade due to the increased voltage, however it's nothing significant unless you raise it to over 1.5V. 

If you overclock your CPU your silicon will begin to degrade due to the increased voltage, however it's nothing significant unless you raise it to over 1.5V. 

This. Running at stock speeds nothing will happen but running overclocked constantly does have an affect over time. It used to be more noticeable in older chips that required a bit more voltage.  

This. Running at stock speeds nothing will happen but running overclocked constantly does have an affect over time. It used to be more noticeable in older chips that required a bit more voltage.  

This^

Modern CPU's like my friends i5 2500K or my 2570K we just turned the multiplyer up to 42 and took Vcore off of auto and put it at what it already was at so it would stay at a constant 1.xx and has had no stability problems. (I forget his but mine was at 1.12v and has been there ever since at 4.2Ghz)

My older cpus just to get a bit high frequency out of them I always had to mess with the voltage to keep it stable. Even at a 200Mhz increase

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932