Most power dense build i can imagine (Linus or Luke should build it, like if you agree)

Going to keep it as short and simple as possible.

AsRock X99E-ITX/AC motherboard

M.2 to PCIe 4x (or mini PCIe to PCIe) adapter (since gen 3 4x is enough)

X4 to X16 PCIe riser

2 water cooled AMD R9 Nanos

One radiator with integrated fan/pump (to go in area behind R9 Nanos since they're so short)

Specific CPU and storage options are essentially irrelevant.

A dual GPU extremely compact rig that could game with the best of them.

If possible R9 Nanos would be replaced with 2 Fury Xs, but i doubt they would leave enough room for the water cooling. Obviously the coolers on the Fury Xs would need replaced with a single pump slash radiator to cool them both.

Screenshot_2016-03-10-14-56-05.png

Screenshot_2016-03-10-15-08-19.png

Screenshot_2016-03-10-15-05-39.png

Screenshot_2016-03-10-15-21-47.png

Screenshot_2016-03-10-15-21-03.png

1 minute ago, MarcWolfe said:

So is this just a proof of concept or are you actually building this?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

actually this is far more power dense than what you came up with

c03383919.png

Vis-Knoten_800x533.jpg

Password_Cracking_HPC.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

And now...?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I think this is not necessarily the most power dense, but perhaps the smallest build you could think of that had top level gaming ability (2 high end crossfire/SLI cards, etc.)

yes?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think this is not necessarily the most power dense, but perhaps the smallest build you could think of that had top level gaming ability (2 high end crossfire/SLI cards, etc.)

yes?

If you think there is something anywhere near as small with more power (that an average enthusiast could make use of) I'd love to know.

27 minutes ago, Enderman said:

actually this is far more power dense than what you came up with

c03383919.png

Vis-Knoten_800x533.jpg

Password_Cracking_HPC.jpg

Well, looking at size per performance i think mine still wins. That thing is much more than four times the size of a Node 202.

31 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

So is this just a proof of concept or are you actually building this?

If i had the money to burn, I'd give it a try. Figured somebody else might like the idea, and we can all discuss the issues that may arise and alternatives that have the same goal.

2 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

Well, looking at size per performance i think mine still wins. That thing is much more than four times the size of a Node 202.

Do you know what "density" means?

Its in your title, so you should...

Yeah its like 4x time size, it also has several hundred times the computing power, ram, storage, etc...

Still more power dense

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

If you think there is something anywhere near as small with more power (that an average enthusiast could make use of) I'd love to know.

No not really :)  But thanks for clarifying; it seems I was right - this is about making the smallest possible high-end enthusiast rig you can, not necessarily the most power dense build.  Which there is nothing wrong with - quite frankly it is a lot more relevant and useful to everyone here, but I just wanted to be clear what the goal was.

And a lot more than 4 times the performance too if you use the right cards :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

50 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Do you know what "density" means?

Its in your title, so you should...

Yeah its like 4x time size, it also has several hundred times the computing power, ram, storage, etc...

Still more power dense

Several hudred!? Lmao No. It could have more power per volume depending on CPU(s). 2 E5-2699 V3s would keep me from arguing witch is more dense. But I'll argue the crap out of that "several hundred" nonsense.

51 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No not really :)  But thanks for clarifying; it seems I was right - this is about making the smallest possible high-end enthusiast rig you can, not necessarily the most power dense build.  Which there is nothing wrong with - quite frankly it is a lot more relevant and useful to everyone here, but I just wanted to be clear what the goal was.

And a lot more than 4 times the performance too if you use the right cards :)

I'm trying to leep it (somewhat) "practical" with this one. Lol

2 hours ago, MarcWolfe said:

Several hudred!? Lmao No. It could have more power per volume depending on CPU(s). 2 E5-2699 V3s would keep me from arguing witch is more dense. But I'll argue the crap out of that "several hundred" nonsense.

I'm trying to leep it (somewhat) "practical" with this one. Lol

thats a quad CPU server, and a single rack usually has about 10-20 of those

also you can have coprocessors in servers like the third image i posted

one xeon phi has 61 cores and you can fit 12 per unit

clearly you have little idea of what server hardware is, but if you are actually talking about computing power "density" you cannot beat enterprise server hardware.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

thats a quad CPU server, and a single rack usually has about 10-20 of those

also you can have coprocessors in servers like the third image i posted

one xeon phi has 61 cores and you can fit 12 per unit

clearly you have little idea of what server hardware is, but if you are actually talking about computing power "density" you cannot beat enterprise server hardware.

Yes, I've argued the same point to other dumbasses. That build didn't have any xeon phi's, and your point about putting more more servers in a rack does not change the density. By your logic i could throw 100 of the rigs that i described into a box and say "i win". Each server (assuming they are actually built the same) has the same power density, there fore the entire cabinet of servers has the same density. 

Yes, I've argued the same point to other dumbasses. That build didn't have any xeon phi's, and your point about putting more more servers in a rack does not change the density. By your logic i could throw 100 of the rigs that i described into a box and say "i win". Each server (assuming they are actually built the same) has the same power density, there fore the entire cabinet of servers has the same density. 

actually thats not how it works

some units are just GPUs and PSUs, you actually need a second unit with the motherboard, CPUs, and ram, which is linked to the coprocessors.

So by doubling the size you can increase the computing power by many more teraflops

as i said earlier, no use arguing with someone who doesnt know anything about server hardware.

go fantasize about you "most dense build" somewhere else

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Enderman said:

actually thats not how it works

some units are just GPUs and PSUs, you actually need a second unit with the motherboard, CPUs, and ram, which is linked to the coprocessors.

So by doubling the size you can increase the computing power by many more teraflops

as i said earlier, no use arguing with someone who doesnt know anything about server hardware.

go fantasize about you "most dense build" somewhere else

Go be ignorant somewhere else. So you're saying that those GPUs aren't even in an entire computer, so the entire computer has to be even bigger than that case? Lol damn, now you make less sense. I know how the modules are connected through PCIe cables, its not complicated, only expensive.

13 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

Go be ignorant somewhere else. So you're saying that those GPUs aren't even in an entire computer, so the entire computer has to be even bigger than that case? Lol damn, now you make less sense. I know how the modules are connected through PCIe cables, its not complicated, only expensive.

the "case" is the server rack which houses all the components

and no, you do not use PCIe cables to connect servers together

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

the "case" is the server rack which houses all the components

and no, you do not use PCIe cables to connect servers together

High end server systems sure as hell do. I thought you were talking high end.... no? Doing a little back pedaling instead?

This thread is literally going nowhere. Locked.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch