Consoles make me sick

max_headroom

I've been mostly a PC gamer but I own a PS3.  I'm a racing fan so I decided to purchase Gran Turismo 6, digital version.  Worst mistake ever!

Being spoiled with Steam and my 225mb/s internet pipe, my downloads average about 1GB per minute.  So I was like, cool, I'll be playing Gran Turismo 6 after dinner.  After I ate, I saw the progress was at 8%.  I was like WTF?  I have a gigabit network and I think the PS3's nic is 1gb.  I figure it must be Sony's POS network.  I forgot about it.

Next day before going to work, the download was still at 80%.  I was like this is ridiculous.  I left for work.  When I got home, I was excited to play the game.  The downloading part finished.  The next part was the installation.  Oh my God, that took about 4 hours.  Even my Pentium 4 from years ago doesn't take that long to install a huge game.  I was furious.  I forgot about the game and went to sleep.

Right before going to work, I decided to race a lap.  Surely it must be done installing after 8 hours.  I clicked on the game to run it.  First it said it needed updates.  I was like, how bad could it be.  There were 21 updates that the game needed and was over 3GB.  That download was to take several more hours.  I was like f-ck this and I left.

When I got home, I was expecting to play.  Only... I wasn't able to.  After the download of the updates, they needed to be installed.  I timed it and it took 4.5 hours to install the updates.  I finally was able to fire up the game after midnight.

It took 2 and a half DAYS to play a darn game.  An OLD GAME to be exact.

I vow again to never buy another game from Sony's network.

I vow to never buy another console ever.

Yeah that is one of my main criticisms of the consoles, its no long just pop in a disc and play, and the network is SO SLOW as is installing it to the tiny hard drives they ship with!

Heck just tried to turn on my PS3 to download the latest PS Plus games yesterday, and it took so long to download an update, install it, check, log into the store and start a download 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah, a lot of the appeal of "put the disc in and play" has gone away with these constant updates, even Day 1 updates that take that long

PCMustardRace

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

which is why u only buy DISCS.

put disc in, play. done

and if you play a single player game, the update isn't really needed, just disconnect your ps3 from the net

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

The thing I'm most annoyed about when it comes to consoles: Couch multiplayer is dying out! I mean, that was one of the best things... Nay, it was THE best things about consoles. Being able to have a few friends come around and play multiplayer in some daft coop game or something like that. I'd rather have no online multiplayer than no couch multiplayer.

25 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

put disc in, play. done

and if you play a single player game, the update isn't really needed, just disconnect your ps3 from the net

Updates, even for single player games, are often needed at times.  Developers rush their broken games to the market to be able to sell them by Christmas.  The only way to really fix bugs are updates.

I don't have any issues with dl speeds, I have fast internet, so maybe it's not the consoles fault, BTW nobody cares in the console section if you hate consoles lol

4 minutes ago, Slickwicked said:

I don't have any issues with dl speeds, I have fast internet,

Fast is a relative term.  Someone in Nairobi with 1.2mbs dsl is faster than someone with 56K.

so maybe it's not the consoles fault,

It's probably Sony's POS network.  Given their service is free, they probably allocate very little money to their bandwidth.

As for the installation of the game and update, it's totally the console's fault.  It has a tiny POS hard drive that does everything.  Untar the files to another location of the drive, apply the patches from that location to the game's directory.  Repeat the same process over and over and you have molasses flowing on the surface of Antarctica. 

BTW nobody cares in the console section if you hate consoles lol

You cared enough to respond.

Changing DNS settings to something like OpenDNS or Google's DNS should fix this.

10 minutes ago, rpgwaiter said:

Changing DNS settings to something like OpenDNS or Google's DNS should fix this.

Downloading the files needed is only 1/2 of the problem.

There's still the painfully slow install process.

I'm sure an SSD would have changed things.

Oh well.  Back to my PC.

On 10.3.2016 at 3:42 PM, max_headroom said:

-Snip-

I had the same thing, GT5 was even worse :(

Edited by tobben
Removed unnecessary quote

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

On 10/3/2016 at 4:16 PM, Zenedge said:

put disc in, play. done

actually , don't forget games have to install now ( that was also the case for the ps3 ). Not to mention you need to download and install the updates regardless.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I've never had an issue with the download speed of updates when I had a PS3, or an Xbox 360. Though, downloading and installing being separate on PS3 is stupid.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

On 3/9/2016 at 6:42 AM, max_headroom said:

I've been mostly a PC gamer but I own a PS3.  I'm a racing fan so I decided to purchase Gran Turismo 6, digital version.  Worst mistake ever!

Being spoiled with Steam and my 225mb/s internet pipe, my downloads average about 1GB per minute.  So I was like, cool, I'll be playing Gran Turismo 6 after dinner.  After I ate, I saw the progress was at 8%.  I was like WTF?  I have a gigabit network and I think the PS3's nic is 1gb.  I figure it must be Sony's POS network.  I forgot about it.

Next day before going to work, the download was still at 80%.  I was like this is ridiculous.  I left for work.  When I got home, I was excited to play the game.  The downloading part finished.  The next part was the installation.  Oh my God, that took about 4 hours.  Even my Pentium 4 from years ago doesn't take that long to install a huge game.  I was furious.  I forgot about the game and went to sleep.

Right before going to work, I decided to race a lap.  Surely it must be done installing after 8 hours.  I clicked on the game to run it.  First it said it needed updates.  I was like, how bad could it be.  There were 21 updates that the game needed and was over 3GB.  That download was to take several more hours.  I was like f-ck this and I left.

When I got home, I was expecting to play.  Only... I wasn't able to.  After the download of the updates, they needed to be installed.  I timed it and it took 4.5 hours to install the updates.  I finally was able to fire up the game after midnight.

It took 2 and a half DAYS to play a darn game.  An OLD GAME to be exact.

I vow again to never buy another game from Sony's network.

I vow to never buy another console ever.

I'm a console gamer, and I've run into similar situations with the Playstation in the past. I bought a 2nd PS3 mostly for use as a Blu-ray player, media streamer and Netflix player at the time. Took me over a day before I could use it because of a system update that needed to be downloaded. GT5 took me over 4 hours to do a required update the first time I played it. Xbox in general has provided me with a better online experience and very fast download speeds, but you did pay for it when Sony was free. So I would hope you were getting something for you completely unjustified Live subscription :)

Remember you're using hardware that's nearly 10 years old. The PS3 came out well within the time Pentium 4's were still be made.

Like most people have said: buy games on disc (At least for the 7th gen or below) because those consoles are slow. I wouldn't suggest to judge consoles as a whole based on what came out nearly a decade ago. Unless you want to play stuff that's retro. 

8 hours ago, CodedGames said:

Remember you're using hardware that's nearly 10 years old. The PS3 came out well within the time Pentium 4's were still be made.

Like most people have said: buy games on disc (At least for the 7th gen or below) because those consoles are slow. I wouldn't suggest to judge consoles as a whole based on what came out nearly a decade ago. Unless you want to play stuff that's retro. 

Like I said, a 10 year old PC doesn't perform that poorly.  I can fire up my 10 year old Core2 PC, download and install GTA 5 on it and it'll be done in a few hours.

This is not to bash console.  This is highlighting their poor engineering and performance.

18 hours ago, CodedGames said:

I wouldn't say that is the case with Xbox, generally downloads on 360 would pin my internet connection. Same is true this gen with the XB1,

I don't have a PS4 yet, so I can't make a fair comparison, PS3 is significantly better than I've experienced in the past it's still painful at times

PS3 and 360 were also fairly bleeding edge tech at the time of release, where this gen is barely a step up from last gen in the case of the xbox,

The PS4 being slightly less crappy

I would venture to say if you were going to make a PC to console comparison last gen would have been your best bet as those consoles were sold at a huge loss, 

This gen they are selling for a profit and were quite frankly release obsolete.

This coming from a console gamer who just recently got my first real gaming PC.

The difference in quality is very apparent to me,