Lifespan and Overclocking

After searching on google and going thru many websites that talk about hardware lifespan I couldn't find a definitive answer does OC(in frequency and/or voltage) on CPU and/or GPU lowers 'expected' lifespan of that unit. Collecting data for this topic would take years to complete and it's results would never be up to date, so lets look at this topic from a standpoint that we all well know(unless you care about your warranty and you have never OC'd in your life) increase in frequency on GPU and CPU always ends up with ether better FPS or BlueScreenOfDeath, but I haven't heard it actually killed hardware, on the other hand increase in voltage does make an unstable frequency more "stable" but there is always an point where system is going to crash and too much voltage can shorten out and kill hardware, but do we know if it actually reduces hardware lifespan under the assumption that we found OC sweet spot where our computer is perfectly stable? Post your toughs below, also this could be a great topic for a video from LMG

GameSpot has an great article about it: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/overclocking-for-beginners/1100-6421190/

3 minutes ago, Xilarnis said:

After searching on google and going thru many websites that talk about hardware lifespan I couldn't find a definitive answer does OC(in frequency and/or voltage) on CPU and/or GPU lowers 'expected' lifespan of that unit. Collecting data for this topic would take years to complete and it's results would never be up to date, so lets look at this topic from a standpoint that we all well know(unless you care about your warranty and you have never OC'd in your life) increase in frequency on GPU and CPU always ends up with ether better FPS or BlueScreenOfDeath, but I haven't heard it actually killed hardware, on the other hand increase in voltage does make an unstable frequency more "stable" but there is always an point where system is going to crash and too much voltage can shorten out and kill hardware, but do we know if it actually reduces hardware lifespan under the assumption that we found OC sweet spot where our computer is perfectly stable? Post your toughs below, also this could be a great topic for a video from LMG

GameSpot has an great article about it: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/overclocking-for-beginners/1100-6421190/

There is no answer, been pumping 1.6v into my 8350 for close to 2 years now with no ill effect. Who cares, if you're overclocking its an open book as to what you're trying to achieve, either balls to the walls performance or mild or middle ground or all the above.

There is no definiteve answer and there never will be to an open book.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Anandtech had a great article about it, it's a little dated but the same principles apply: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2468/6

The "process" you're looking for is electro-migration.

well, its a science that pushing more volts trough your chip wil shorten its lifespan.

that said, what is the "lifespan" of a processor, i have a 1995 pentium that still works like new, even if your overclock would "scientificly" half your chip's lifespan it'd still be much less than just having bad luck and getting a bad chip that dies early.

just dont do stupid shit and make it run at 6GHz 24/7.

summoning someone that likes to test how much he could oc his parts @Lays

he did >6ghz on a devils canyon

he and some other forum folks tested if ram clocks matter for gaming etc and what everyone denied to believe... it does affect performance

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

2 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

summoning someone that likes to test how much he could oc his parts @Lays

he did >6ghz on a devils canyon

he and some other forum folks tested if ram clocks matter for gaming etc and what everyone denied to believe... it does affect performance

I've been saying ram speed matters for years.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd