Upgrade sata speed on old motherboard

Is there any way to be able to have faster speeds on an old motherboard. 

Like can a PCI allow PCIe sata cards or something like that. 

Yep, you can definitely find pcie add-in cards that give you access to sataIII ports.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

5 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

Yep, you can definitely find pcie add-in cards that give you access to sataIII ports.

But my motherboard is PCIe x1 so is that slow speed though. Can I not put a PCIe in an PCI slot. 

3 minutes ago, dragoncurt said:

But my motherboard is PCIe x1 so is that slow speed though. Can I not put a PCIe in an PCI slot. 

Pcie 1x is much faster than pci(over 5x the speed). There is normally no use for a faster hdd interface as the cpu won't be fast enough to use the extra bandwith.

4 minutes ago, dragoncurt said:

No, pcie and pci are physically different. however, you can find SataIII cards that are pcie x1. 

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Pcie 1x is much faster than pci(over 5x the speed). There is normally no use for a faster hdd interface as the cpu won't be fast enough to use the extra bandwith.

Hi what is the speed of Pcie 1x I thought it was 250MBs. 

1 minute ago, dragoncurt said:

Hi what is the speed of Pcie 1x I thought it was 250MBs. 

what pcie version is it?

Screenshot.png

2 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

what pcie version is it?

This motherboard has these.

1 x PCI-E x16
3 x PCI-E x1
3 x PCI 2.2

Just now, dragoncurt said:

This motherboard has these.

1 x PCI-E x16
3 x PCI-E x1
3 x PCI 2.2

yeah but what version is it?

1.0, 3.0, etc

1 minute ago, TrifectaIII said:

yeah but what version is it?

1.0, 3.0, etc

1 I think as I have 3 PCIE at x1 speed

Just now, dragoncurt said:

As in Version 3.0 or as in 3 1x slots?

2 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

As in Version 3.0 or as in 3 1x slots?

The 3 x1 slots. 

The 3 x1 slots. 

You have version 1 of the pcie standard. Id just use the sata ports on the motherboard. There more than fast enough for any hdd and you won't notice a difference on a ssd. I have a ssd in my laptop running on sata 2 and its just as fast as a ssd on sata 3 in my desktop. 

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's PCIe gen 2

Can I ask where did you find that. 

7 minutes ago, dragoncurt said:

There is no reason to add a card. It will run at the same speed as the on board sata.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You have version 1 of the pcie standard. Id just use the sata ports on the motherboard. There more than fast enough for any hdd and you won't notice a difference on a ssd. I have a ssd in my laptop running on sata 2 and its just as fast as a ssd on sata 3 in my desktop. 

must be a pretty slow ssd on your desktop then.

1 minute ago, TrifectaIII said:

must be a pretty slow ssd on your desktop then.

No i mean for every day tasks like opening programs and booting windows. Sequential speed doesn't matter as much as random speeds.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I just know,

PCIe gen 3 was brought to Intel platform much much later, and only via CPU PCIe lanes; the chipset PCIe was still gen 2

not exactly sure, but Ivy Bridge was the 1st microarchitecture to bring PCIe gen 3 to the Intel platform

Oh so If I did get an PCIe sata 3.0 card I know it would not go sata 3 speed but close as is PCIe gen 2 500MBs

Oh so If I did get an PCIe sata 3.0 card I know it would not go sata 3 speed but close as is PCIe gen 2 500MBs

I made a mistake, please read my previous post :/

sorry, it's ~4:30 AM here

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

No i mean for every day tasks like opening programs and booting windows. Sequential speed doesn't matter as much as random speeds.

Kind of misleading to say it's "just as fast" then. "Not noticeable different when used as an OS drive" maybe. After all, we have no idea if OP wants a different drive speed for OS use or for sequential data transfer uses.