Noctua NF-A14 iPPC vs Corsair AF-140 "Quiet" Edition

Saint Chewy

Hello everyone, I am looking for suggestions on me possibly getting some new fans. I have been looking at getting the Noctuas for some time now. I currently have 3 of the Corsair AF-140 quiet fans and 2 SP-140 and one AF-120 in my Corsair 750d chassis. Over the last couple of months I have noticed that my PC isnt as quiet as I would like it to be. I have heard Noctua fans to basically be the best fans you can get.

Now, the reason I havent bought them already is that I am concerned that they might not be exactly what I am looking for. I understand that they use PWM and I can control the fan speed, which is wonderful, however I am wondering if I set the fan speeds to around 900-1000 rpm how is the performance going to be compared to my Corsair fans running at max speed?

In my set up, I have 2x Af-140s in the front as intake. I have 1x Af-140 in the rear as exhaust, I have 2x Sp-140 on my Corsair H115i and I have one Af-120 on the bottom blowing directly at my video card. So basically I am looking to swap all of them out for the Noctua fans. Is this something that is recommended?

both of those fans are loud

if you want your PC to be silent then buy bequiet silent wings fans, noiseblocker fans, or the non-iPPC noctuas

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The Noctua Industrial PPC NF-A14 DC version will not go below 1,000rpm. Which is still too loud for a case fan. There are quieter fans out there.

I'd suggest you get the PWM version for cooling your H115I replacing the SP140.

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Those are PWM fans. That means you're supposed to adjust them to the right speed. Not just run them at 12V as if we're still in Stoneage.

Under volt a PWM fan is bad for longevity of the fan motor.

OP seems to be fine with using PWM.

As those are 24V fans, you will usually have to run them at 12V in your PC (unless you use a transformer) and I can't see anything wrong with that. You can still apply PWM control. Apparantly, Noctua doesn't see anything wrong with that either:

While the industrialPPC 24V models have been designed with 24V industrial applications in mind, they run at maximum speeds of around 1100rpm (2000rpm models) to 1700rpm (3000rpm models) in 12V PC environments. At the same time, they can be slowed down further via PWM, thus combining the advanced features of the industrialPPC line with Noctua’s signature quietness.

I can see no reason why undervolting a PWM fan should be bad for the motor. Apparantly, Noctua doesn't do so either.

So now I guess I'm going to look at the brown ones since I guess they're quieter. Now if I run those at 1000 rpm how is the performance going to be on that? Will they perform better than my corsair fans at lower rpms?

I have the 140mm LTT Special Edition fans on the front of my Fractal R5 blowing over a radiator set at 900-1000 rpm and I don't hear them. The platter drive in the case is louder than the fans.

You might consider Be Quiet fans, they're really good. The non PWM version is the very cheap Pure Wings, and the nicer PWM version is Silent Wings. Fractal Venturi fans are pretty nice as well.

But at max speed, the corsair fans will win (They're running at max speed...) for airflow...There's always a tradeoff between low RPM and airflow.