Australian NBN - Turnbull Turns Down Petition To Reconsider NBN Plans

jscho

Malcolm Turnbull has turned down a petition for the Coalition to reconsider their FTTN plan and consider the benefits of FTTP on change.org with more than 200,000 signatures.

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/government-it/malcolm-turnbull-gives-thumbs-down-to-fibre-nbn-petition-20130913-hv1po.html

Why Turnbull is a knob:

> Malcolm Turnbull to become communications minister next week
> Turnbull states "We do not regard technology as an ideological issue. We are technologically agnostic."
>
Is comms minister and doesn't care about technology.

I'm sitting here shaking my head. Please sign the petition if you have not already. Our internet needs you.

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/the-liberal-party-of-australia-reconsider-your-plan-for-a-fttn-nbn-in-favour-of-a-superior-ftth-nbn

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I thought politicians were to do the will of the people? Silly me..

I was under that impression too... 

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

yeah, seems that is a thing of the past.

GPU: Gigabyte HD7970 | Mobo: ASUS Z97i PLUS | CPU: 4790K

HDD: Samsung 1tb SSD | Disp: 3x Asus 23.6" 1080p

RAM: 16gb Kingston Hyper X | Case: None

At the moment they can claim 200,000 people isn't much compared to the 24 million or whatever it is these days who clearly don't want it because they haven't signed

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

At the moment they can claim 200,000 people isn't much compared to the 24 million or whatever it is these days who clearly don't want it because they haven't signed

In the US, a petition requires 200,000 signatures and they have over 300 million. They have to pay attention to the petition. I'm sure it's in the constitution somewhere.

well thats gay

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

In the US, a petition requires 200,000 signatures and they have over 300 million. They have to pay attention to the petition. I'm sure it's in the constitution somewhere.

And this is why places like change.org aren't always going to work, no matter how many signatures that can be obtained

Rules about signatures

Every petition must contain the original handwritten signature and full name and address of the principal petitioner on the first page.

Each signature on the petition must be made by the person signing in his or her own handwriting. In rare circumstances of incapacity, a petitioner who is unable to sign may ask another person to sign on his or her behalf.

Every signature must be written on a page bearing the request part of the terms of the petition. Signatures must not be copied, pasted, photocopied or transferred on to the petition. They must not be placed on a blank page or on the blank reverse of a sheet containing the terms of the petition.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/House_of_Representatives/Powers_practice_and_procedure/00_-_Infosheets/Infosheet_11_-_Petitions

Digital signatures are too open to spam, so even still for a petition to technically be valid it has to have handwritten signatures

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I'm pretty sure everyone knew that the Liberals would stop the roll-out when in power because it's not the focus of their mission.

They have stated that there are other things that they feel are more important than improving speeds.

Yes I admit the internet coverage, speed and prices are crap here, but they can't make everyone happy, and they can't afford to cover everything that needs improving.

In a couple of years time or maybe very soon; more people will start to dislike what the coalition is doing and realize that the labor party will be a better option for the next election because they will promise all these things that the people want.

Sometimes I think that it's a bit of "the grass is always greener on the other side" .

And that people's feelings and attitudes are usually changed towards the parties depending on how the media portrays them. 

A lot of the time the media focus' on the negatives which make people think badly about their government.

Ok I'm just waffling on now because I'm infinitely tired.

But my opinion on the matter is that the majority of people living at home don't need fibre. 

I sure don't. I can't even find a website that will max out my 100mbit down speed.

YES people who have servers and business' would need fibre speeds but if you look at it from the governments angle then it's a lot of money to cater for a small amount of people. (well not small, but a minority)

It would be fantastic if australia could have the state-of-the-art speeds and technology but I guess we'll have to wait a while before majority of main cities can use it. (maybe 10 years)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

If you're rolling out new network infrastructure to people who only have dialup, the answer isn't to use already massively outdated tech.

Hint: The big cost of new network infrastructure isn't the cable itself.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

They are this is is a democrasy isnt it?

AnywayTelstra wont budge unless it is in the intrests of the share holders.

Yeah I signed it when it was around 1000 or so people was wishing they would actually take it into consideration. And the one quote I find hilarious is how he recons it works great in the UK. Ask any people from the UK on the forums and majority will say they hate fibre to the node/vdsl.

I'm pretty sure everyone knew that the Liberals would stop the roll-out when in power because it's not the focus of their mission.

They have stated that there are other things that they feel are more important than improving speeds.

Yes I admit the internet coverage, speed and prices are crap here, but they can't make everyone happy, and they can't afford to cover everything that needs improving.

In a couple of years time or maybe very soon; more people will start to dislike what the coalition is doing and realize that the labor party will be a better option for the next election because they will promise all these things that the people want.

Sometimes I think that it's a bit of "the grass is always greener on the other side" .

And that people's feelings and attitudes are usually changed towards the parties depending on how the media portrays them. 

A lot of the time the media focus' on the negatives which make people think badly about their government.

But my opinion on the matter is that the majority of people living at home don't need fibre. 

I sure don't. I can't even find a website that will max out my 100mbit down speed.

YES people who have servers and business' would need fibre speeds but if you look at it from the governments angle then it's a lot of money to cater for a small amount of people. (well not small, but a minority)

It would be fantastic if australia could have the state-of-the-art speeds and technology but I guess we'll have to wait a while before majority of main cities can use it. (maybe 10 years)

On the fact of gigabit yes we probs dont need it for a while, but personally for me the thing I like about fibre is that it has low ping and speed doesnt drop by huge amounts over great distances. Whilst I am not getting fibre ever probably at my current residency and Fixed Wireless will do I strongly hope that the towns will get all fibre to the home so that no matter where you are you get the same speeds as someone down the road.

I think a huge advantage of the original NBN plan is futureproofing, it's a 100 year infrastructure. It wasn't about now, it was about the future, and a communication minister saying '25mbit is plenty for everyone now and in the future' is pretty worrying. Sure it costs more, but under the coalition plan consumers will need to pay quote 'in the thousands, but under five thousand dollars' for a fibre line from the node to their home. A big problem with the coalition in my opinion is that they lack scope.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

http://www.sortius-is-a-geek.com/hypocrisy-thy-name-mal/

An interesting article on the hypocrisy of Turnbull and what the senate actually thinks of the NBN/FTTP 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

The FTTP was all about futureproofing, but in all honesty, the Coalition doesn't give a fuck about the future, they only care about the now. Labor was trying to set things up for the future, sure it cost more, but it would last. Liberals went around saying "we can save you money now instead of later". Because people don't care about the future, they really don't, and it saddens me that people can be ignorant towards future generations who will surely have to clean up this generation's mess.

Not the mention the senate is a bloody mess. The next 3 years shall be interesting.

The rest don't have internet fast enough to load the page.

The FTTP was all about futureproofing, but in all honesty, the Coalition doesn't give a fuck about the future, they only care about the now. Labor was trying to set things up for the future, sure it cost more, but it would last. Liberals went around saying "we can save you money now instead of later". Because people don't care about the future, they really don't, and it saddens me that people can be ignorant towards future generations who will surely have to clean up this generation's mess.

Not the mention the senate is a bloody mess. The next 3 years shall be interesting.

110% agree with this .

What the hell is gonna happen,who knows ? Maybe another freak election before the term has ended for Liberals.

Time will tell , so very tempted to move to the states when I'm older because all this shit is just ridiculous

tbh orderly people (ie Malcolm Turnbull) should not be in charge of Australians Telecommunication & broadband network and there just useless f**knards......

All I want is for them to roll out FTTP, but where i live that was like still 5 years away

at the moment i think im sitting on a crummy ADSL connection with 2.89M/b Down and a .8 up and a 39ms ping? i just want faster internet so i can game and not be frustrated by bullshit 

@Google Please Come to Australia Roll out Google Fiber i will literally bow down to you11

110% agree with this .

What the hell is gonna happen,who knows ? Maybe another freak election before the term has ended for Liberals.

Time will tell , so very tempted to move to the states when I'm older because all this shit is just ridiculous

The states might have better internet, but their Government is in a scary mess right now :S I'm worried for the American public with all the shenanigans the US Govt. is up to...

tbh orderly people (ie Malcolm Turnbull) should not be in charge of Australians Telecommunication & broadband network and there just useless f**knards......

All I want is for them to roll out FTTP, but where i live that was like still 5 years away

at the moment i think im sitting on a crummy ADSL connection with 2.89M/b Down and a .8 up and a 39ms ping? i just want faster internet so i can game and not be frustrated by bullshit 

@Google Please Come to Australia Roll out Google Fiber i will literally bow down to you11

FTTP was promised to my area by 2017, I can wait, but I want FTTP to be locked in. The FTTN thing is stupid. Might as well not do it at all. They just came up with that idea just to make it seem like Liberal had an opposing policy. I get 8mbps down and variable up, but my internet has been really slow lately :(