OnePlus Paid $300,000 USD to get their phones featured in House of Cards

AlTech

snippy1.png.dfee20e927e0dfd2ca37dc329052

OnePlus paid $300,000 US dollars to have their phones featured in House of Cards.

In industry this is usually called a product placement and is common with technology companies as they want to push the product to the customer so they feel confident to buy it.

Other examples that occurred in the past were (and still are) Hawaii Five O with Microsoft's sponsorship, Blue Bloods with Apple's sponsorship and the list goes on.

Samsung, Sony, Apple, Microsoft, LG, and others regularly use product placement to get their phones into movies and TV shows. While established companies have long used this as a method to improve brand recognition, a number of Chinese companies are now using product placement in US shows to improve their own brand names. It's rare to hear how much a company is willing to pay for this product placement, but OnePlus has revealed this week that it paid more than $300,000 to get its OnePlus One, OnePlus 2, and OnePlus X devices feature in House of Cards.

OnePlus aren't the only Chinese company to opt for product placement in US TV shows and movies. Oppo (OnePlus' parent company) partnered with merica's Next Top Model last year, and Vivo Electronics placed its X5 Pro in The Martian. All of these product placements in the US might seem strange for companies with little brand recognition, but these popular movies and shows are also shown worldwide so the marketing effect is increased. For Chinese companies trying to crack the US, product placement is also an obvious choice to take on the likes of Samsung.

Interesting. IMO, I would like to see more Product placement by Microsoft since a lot of people my age know little to nothing about them.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/8/11177906/oneplus-house-of-cards-product-placement

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Interesting. IMO, I would like to see more Product placement by Microsoft since a lot of people my age know little to nothing about them.

I think arrow has a lot of Microsoft product placement.

26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

-snip-

actually... the first season had alot of Windows Phone placement... 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

waste of money, the only thing I noticed: it was a Windows phone :dry:

On Hawaii Five O? They did loads of product placement: Skype, Windows 8, Metro Apps, Windows Phones, Skydrive (back when it was called that), OneDrive,.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Ex14 said:

For house of cards?

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

For house of cards?

yeap. I recognise a few 920s being used.   tbh tho phone placements are really tough to do unless you have a logo or something recognisable from the back. the sms ui throughout the show was also very reminiscent of the windows phone one. Very blockish. 

tho to be frank (get it :p?),  it wasn't that obvious it was a WP and might have been coincidences. Not everyone is a tech nut like us and I doubt they (the normal peeps)  would have recognised it. 

1 minute ago, Ex14 said:

yeap. I recognise a few 920s being used.   tbh tho phone placements are really tough to do unless you have a logo or something recognisable from the back. the sms ui throughout the show was also very reminiscent of the windows phone one. Very blockish. 

tho to be frank (get it :p?),  it wasn't that obvious it was a WP and might have been coincidences. Not everyone is a tech nut like us and I doubt they (the normal peeps)  would have recognised it. 

Well IDK if Hawaii Five O is anything to go off of but in Hawaii Five O, it was really obvious it was Windows Phone. You saw the tiles, the Blocky message UI, OneDrive (or skydrive as It was called back then).

36 minutes ago, CaptainGunny said:

I think arrow has a lot of Microsoft product placement.

The Walking Dead was sponsored by Microsoft Surface for a season or so.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I just binged the newest season and the only phones I noticed were Galaxy S6 Edge and iPhone :P

Edited by ChrEW

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Seems like a lot when they could have use that 300k to keep at least some fucking stock instead of bullshit invite systems.

Didn't they remove the invite system a while ago? I just checked and it hasn't stopped me until I said I'm in Australia. Though it was annoying they had it that long especially on their new phones.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

White collar had some of the most blatant product placement ever. Every other episode they'd just kind of stop and start highlighting features of the said car. And when one of main characters had a car crash he did so in a Chevrolet. Give them a watch so blatant aha.  

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

2 hours ago, ChrEW said:

I just binged the newest season and the only phones I noticed were Galaxy S6 Edge and iPhone :P

Same, I binged watched it last weekend, and I don't recall seeing a single OnePlus.

I remember seeing Agar.io pretty clearly though, haha.

Seems OnePlus didn't pay enough.

6 hours ago, Ex14 said:

I think only Jackie really used a windows phone. Both frank and Doug used blackberries and Claire used a 4s in the first season and a 5/5s in the second season. Maybe they used whatever phone they preferred? There certainly were a lot of macs though. 

4 hours ago, IAcKI said:

White collar had some of the most blatant product placement ever. Every other episode they'd just kind of stop and start highlighting features of the said car. And when one of main characters had a car crash he did so in a Chevrolet. Give them a watch so blatant aha.  

Hey I liked that show. I think HP also sponsored that show because they had a lot of HP computers. I think the most blatant advertising was for bmw though when they showed the GoPro integration. 

Another show with blatant advertising was Nikita with Kia. 

Oh boy look at the phones the characters use, I want one of those!  Said no one ever.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

null

29 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

Oh boy look at the phones the characters use, I want one of those!  Said no one ever.

EXACTLY!

6 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

5 hours ago, R4z0r244 said:

EXACTLY!

It doesn't work that way. well. It's more akin to subliminal messaging but less nefarious and more in your face.

The goal isn't to get people to straightout buy their phones but rather by having them see it being used, reinforced the recognisability of their phone/brand/top of mind recollection when thinking about phones.

13 hours ago, kurahk7 said:

Hey I liked that show. I think HP also sponsored that show because they had a lot of HP computers. I think the most blatant advertising was for bmw though when they showed the GoPro integration. 

Another show with blatant advertising was Nikita with Kia. 

I loved it too and always had a little giggle at the advertisements. Was sad to see it end:(

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

hey you leave us, five people in the world who have a windows phone, alone. :$

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

13 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Well it re-enforces brand recognition and so when people buy a new phone they might remember it and buy one.

I understand, it's product placement and all, but does it actually boost sales? Iirc even Sony didn't get any results with Xperia being in James Bond movies (I think Skyfall was the first one?). I think their sales fell even lower. And it's not because they have bad phones. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.