970 sli or 980 ti for better fps?

Shinjitago
Go to solution Solved by Stardar1,
20 minutes ago, Shinjitago said:

I am in a bit of a toss and turn to what to do with my graphics card setup.

Running as follows

Asus Z97-Pro(wifi ac)

Intel i7 4790k(stock speeds, 16 pci pipe)

16gb g-skill ripjaw z 2133 ddr3

Looking at some of linus' test runs between sli and single GPU, it would be beneficial for a secondary(sli) gpu.  Rifht now I have a msi gtx970 OC.

I am looking at trying to get Fallout 4 into 4k at around 60 fps(maxed out via moniter/displayport 1.2)

Right now its pretty  choppy and rears a bit, gsync monitor is not an option as acer is the only gsync 4k monitor within about a 27 in size.  

If i go sli, it will give me only 2-8x pcie 3.0 pipes.

Secondly to all this, another option is to upgrade the board with a cpu that provides a lot more pci pipelines (2011v3) with a higher efficiency for a sli system with 2 gpus running at 16x instead of 8x.

Fallout 4 is the most demanding at this time for the games that I play.  Mind you the 970 hits 75C while running 4k in FO4.  It is playable but a little annoying to deal with.

The GTX 970 SLI is technically better performance, but the 980ti is the better option for a few reasons:

1. Heat

2. power

3. upgrade-ability

4. not all software supports SLI

5. SLI can be quite buggy/unstable

6. single GPU is always better. 

Also, if you ever upgrade, you only need to sell one GPU. 

So 1x GTX 980ti, I recommend the EVGA myself.

Running as follows

Asus Z97-Pro(wifi ac)

Looking at some of linus' test runs between sli and single GPU, it would be beneficial for a secondary(sli) gpu.  Rifht now I have a msi gtx970 OC.

I am looking at trying to get Fallout 4 into 4k at around 60 fps(maxed out via moniter/displayport 1.2)

Right now its pretty  choppy and rears a bit, gsync monitor is not an option as acer is the only gsync 4k monitor within about a 27 in size.  

Secondly to all this, another option is to upgrade the board with a cpu that provides a lot more pci pipelines (2011v3) with a higher efficiency for a sli system with 2 gpus running at 16x instead of 8x.

Fallout 4 is the most demanding at this time for the games that I play.  Mind you the 970 hits 75C while running 4k in FO4.  It is playable but a little annoying to deal with.

The GTX 970 SLI will offer the best performance.

BUT it's highly recommended to go for a single GPU solution (980Ti) to avoid SLI issues (and the added benefits of less power consumption and heat).

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Thread moved to Graphics Cards.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

single 980ti perform better in most games and is more consistent in general with better frame pacing and less driver issues...you also get much lower power consumption and heat output and you get 6GB of video memory...and you can upgrade by adding another one down the road.

ALWAYS go for a single more powerful GPU....much less of a headache.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have gtx 970 sli and have no problems everything works nicely but i would still give a vote for 980ti.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

A 980 Ti would give you around 40-50fps at 4k depending on clock speeds, I can't find any sli benchmarks for fallout4 though.

With the difference of the 2-8x pcie 3.0 vs 2-16x pcie 3.0 

Would it be better to also replace the mobo/ cpu to aquire more PCI pipelines?

I had this in general for asking about this question is well. 

20 minutes ago, Shinjitago said:

Running as follows

Asus Z97-Pro(wifi ac)

The GTX 970 SLI is technically better performance, but the 980ti is the better option for a few reasons:

1. Heat

2. power

3. upgrade-ability

4. not all software supports SLI

5. SLI can be quite buggy/unstable

6. single GPU is always better. 

Also, if you ever upgrade, you only need to sell one GPU. 

So 1x GTX 980ti, I recommend the EVGA myself.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

12 minutes ago, Shinjitago said:

With the difference of the 2-8x pcie 3.0 vs 2-16x pcie 3.0 

Would it be better to also replace the mobo/ cpu to aquire more PCI pipelines?

I had this in general for asking about this question is well. 

no pcie 3.0 @ x8/x8 is plenty fast enough even for dual GTX 980ti in SLI, that said...make sure you get the 980ti cause it's clearly the superior option.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Alright, looks like i'll just sell my 970 and grab me a 980ti.  Not looking at getting a kingpin for sure, im guessing evga is a better choice? Ive never run EVGA, just asus and msi.  

Mind you at somepoint I will be going whole rig water cooling at some point, i like how ive seem some temps only reach 140 F.  

if you decide to go for the 980ti I am in the market for a 970. pm me if your intrested

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

why do people even ask this question

they probably dont know about the 3.5gb thing

14 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

why do people even ask this question

they probably dont know about the 3.5gb thing

Its technically 4GB VRAM. Its just that the other 0.5gb VRAM has a slower speed.