Do you even "put everybody else in danger" Bro? Cos the FBI does according to Apple.

AlTech

snip.PNG.aed307e94cff694e383bd7389c1a8f5

An Apple Vice President is accusing the FBI of putting everybody in danger.

The Vice president in question appears to be the head of the software division.

As the legal battle between Apple and the FBI continues, Apple's vice president of software today presented the company's case to the public. Craig Federighi, Apple's vice president of software, is the latest to present the case for the company to the public. In an op-ed in the Washington Post, Federighi argues that the FBI is demanding Apple "turn back the clock to a less-secure time," a move that he says "puts everyone at risk."

Federighi suggests terrorists may be able to hack your phone

Where many of Apple's previous arguments for encryption — including letters from CEO Tim Cook — have focused on more nebulous concepts of freedom and the right to privacy, Federighi's letter directly invokes the threat of faceless hackers. "In just the past 18 months," he writes, "hackers have repeatedly breached the defenses of retail chains, banks and even the federal government, making off with the credit card information, Social Security numbers and fingerprint records of millions of people." In addition to personal data, Federighi also raises the specter of terrorism, an argument used by the FBI in the case against Apple. "Our nation's vital infrastructure — such as power grids and transportation hubs — becomes more vulnerable when individual devices get hacked," Federighi writes. "Criminals and terrorists who want to infiltrate systems and disrupt sensitive networks may start their attacks through access to just one person's smartphone." As hackers become more advanced in their attacks, Federighi says encryption represents "the best data security available to consumers," making it "so disappointing" that the FBI is pushing against its technology.

Damnit FBI. Stop putting people in danger.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/6/11170710/apple-fbi-vp-software-encryption-order-risk

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

you guys do realize the FBI could get into his damn phone.

Like seriously, they just want the back door for convenience 

Just now, Ronnie76 said:

Yep.

FBI's too god damn lazy despite the fact they have the resources and money to do so.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yep.

FBI's too god damn lazy despite the fact they have the resources and money to do so.

meant to mark agree, not imformative but same difference,

AND apple, gave the FBI resources to do so as well. 

They're assuming this would be like after 9/11, where the general public, for some odd reason, stopped using their brains and reverted back to tribalistic tendencies. Thankfully, most tech company have come out fully against this.

On March 8, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Ronnie76 said:

meant to mark agree, not imformative but same difference,

AND apple, gave the FBI resources to do so as well. 

You can change it

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

You can change it

I'm an idiot and too lazy to fix it tbh. Especially since my mouse is broken.

The FBI finally has an excuse to get this back door they so desperately want so they're milking the situation. They cracked the password once already and changed it while the phone was in their custody.

13 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

Exactly,

Tbh the FBI probably could've unlocked it by now if they would have stopped bitching as soon as apple said no the first time.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

terrorists may be able to hack your phone

OMG, this is perfect.   Please let them use that from now on when governments wants something stupid done because of "security"

If they turn encryption off, Pedofiles can hack into your children's phones!

If they turn encryption off, Terrorists will hack into all phones and find the best way to attack us!

Using their same faulty arguments against them, so good.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

6 hours ago, TechFnatic said:

The FBI finally has an excuse to get this back door they so desperately want so they're milking the situation. They cracked the password once already and changed it while the phone was in their custody.

They changed the iCloud account's password. They haven't unlocked the phone as far as we know.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

17 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

They changed the iCloud account's password. They haven't unlocked the phone as far as we know.

iCloud would have given them the information they were looking for to a certain extent, they cracked it and changed it so that they can convince the world they need a backdoor

8 hours ago, Ronnie76 said:

Well, it's possible they can read the secret key from the secure rom chip on the iPhone by electronic means, it's also very risky. They could damage or otherwise lose the secure chip and then it would be lost forever. They'd never get in.

That's really the only way they could feasibly get in to the device without a back door, and its very risky and I could understand why they wouldn't want to.

I'd be prepared to say they possibly can't without great risk... they might not only want the back door for convenience but also to eliminate any risk of losing the data.

Instead of requesting a back door from Apple, they could have spent this entire time cracking the phone/s they needed. But nope, they want a way into all the phones. If that doesn't raise flags for some people, good Lord we're all screwed. -_-

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

2 hours ago, TechFnatic said:
iCloud would have given them the information they were looking for to a certain extent, they cracked it and changed it so that they can convince the world they need a backdoor

Not necessarily. The phone had stopped auto backing up a few months before the attack and Apple has already given the FBI the backups. The FBI's reason for changing the iCloud password is to prevent a remote wipe. Apple would of preferred attempting to get the phone to backup but it was never a guarantee they would get anything that way. It's also completely different to unlocking the phone itself.  

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

19 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Instead of requesting a back door from Apple, they could have spent this entire time cracking the phone/s they needed. But nope, they want a way into all the phones. If that doesn't raise flags for some people, good Lord we're all screwed. -_-

If they tried to crack it and got it wrong after a couple of tries then all the data would be erased. not worth the risk IMO.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If they tried to crack it and got it wrong after a couple of tries then all the data would be erased. not worth the risk IMO.

Technically the data isn't erased, but the key is deleted from the secure ROM chip... rendering the data essentially lost. You can't bruteforce AES 256.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It doesn't erase the data at all...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

Data on the "Secure element" found in Apple A7, A8, A8X, A9 and A9X delete data if the device is compromised.

This is not the case with Apple A4, A5, A6 and A6X.

7 minutes ago, Albatross said:

There is an option in the iOS settings to have the key deleted if there has been 10 failed attempts at unlocking with the PIN.

It's not technically deleting the data, but it has been made irretrievable because it can no longer be decrypted.

Data on the "Secure element" found in Apple A7, A8, A8X, A9 and A9X delete data if the device is compromised.

This is not the case with Apple A4, A5, A6 and A6X.

Source please, because I've worked at Apple support and it never deletes the data itself.

5 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Source please, because I've worked at Apple support and it never deletes the data itself.

The issue with this case is that the data on the iPhone will be deleted if the device password is guessed wrongly 10 times. This is their fear.

The issue with this case is that the data on the iPhone will be deleted if the device password is guessed wrongly 10 times. This is their fear.

You are wrong. It does not delete the data.

38 minutes ago, Albatross said:

You are wrong. It does not delete the data.

Then what does it do? Summon Satan and then he deletes your data?