PS4 is 50% faster than the Xbox One

TopWargamer

Your sig says what?!

The Xbox One, I like more than PS4 and I don't care about performance or the way the graphics look ( sometimes ), because I know that any Xbox One or PS4 games will never look like a PC on high, I have a gaming PC ( Which I don't have a graphics card yet ) for when I want to play a single-player game and sometimes multiplayer games on the highest settings.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

if the ps4 can only play bf4 at 720p and its 50% FASTER does that mean the xbox one will play it at 480p :]

edit: ninja'd

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I refuse to become a full PC gamer, I will not join the dark side. :P

Too late. You've joined LTT forum. Its only a matter of time till u fully convert. :P

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Since when did console users care about specs? lolol

I'm slowly watching them turn into PC users....JOIN THE DARK SIDE U CONSOLE PEOPLE!

Lets put up some of the best PC only games of all time (some might have been a small release on consoled but 99% of players play them on PC) vs the best console exclusive games of this generation. This is my opinion, I may be wrong. And feel free to add to either side.

PC: Half Life

Half Life 2

Starcraft

Warcraft 3

Diablo II

Myst

SimCity

Counter Strike

Doom

Command and Conquer series

Battlefield 1942

Quake series

Unreal series

Console (this generation only):

Uncharted Series

The Last of Us

Metal Gear Solid 4

Halo 3, Reach, and 4

Heavy Rain

God of War 3

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

IMO PS3 has the best exclusive games available. Even better than PC exclusives. :o I KNOW I'M HORRIBLE!

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I'm not really sure why everyone is so surprised by this. We saw the raw data for TFLOPS of each console ages ago, the PS4 was the clear cut winner. 

If I remember right it was:

Xbone > 1.31 TFLOPS

PS4 > 1.84 TFLOPS

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

50% sounds a bit on the high side to me.

We already know what GPUs the Xbone and PS4 uses so it's fairly easy to figure out which is more powerful, and by how much.

PS4:

8 Jaguar cores at ~1.6GHz

1152 GPU cores (maximum shader throughput: 1.84TFLOPs)

8GB GDDR5 - 5500MHz (effective frequency) - 176GB/s bandwidth

Xbox One:

8 Jaguar cores at 1.75GHz.

768 GPU cores (maximum shader throughput: ~1.3TFLOPs)

8GB DDR3 - 2133MHz (effective frequency) - 68.3GB/s bandwidth

32MB of eSRAM for the GPU (102GB/s)

For shader throughput, the PS 4 is about 41% faster than the Xbone (and yes I took the recently announced overclock into consideration). The use of GDDR5 makes a ton of sense since it uses an APU, and that will greatly help for raw GPU horsepower, but it might have a small impact on general CPU tasks (since it has much higher latency).

The Xbone has some eSRAM but that's most likely just there to cover up for the lack of bandwidth for the GPU, not to give the Xbone an advantage over the PS4. It might make it so that the two systems are fairly comparable as far as memory bandwidth goes, but the PS4 most likely still have a slight edge.

So yeah, the PS4 destroys the Xbox One when it comes to GPU performance. 50% might be a bit of a stretch, but it is probably about 35-40% faster. The Xbone has a slightly more powerful CPU (probably) but it also has to run 3 OSes (Hypervisor, Xbox OS and some scaled down Windows 8 thing for apps) so that slightly faster CPU might be very busy handling all that, while the PS4 only has 1 OS to take care of.

The Xbox One will probably run a lot cooler though. Not only does it have a much smaller GPU to produce heat, the memory also uses a lot less power. Oh and the thing is huge so it probably has better cooling.

Nice overlook.

One other thing to consider is that the PS4 has a secondary CPU dedicated to video recording, encoding, update downloading, and installing. So the APU can focus on gaming and the OS. There are probably other things it does (aside from things people will not always, or possibly ever, be using), but we don't know much about that.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.