Update: XFX XT series

Sat1600
3 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

There are none, but that's aside the point that they're still likely better or equal to the XFX XT units.

I wasn't exactly "recommending" a CX, it was a way of saying, "Well, if you're going to get XFX XT junk, might as well get slightly better CX junk". I never recommend either unit, I always recommend increasing the budget for a quality unit.

So, since OP is spending $50 on a 500W unit of unknown performance value... would it be fair to say the same $50 can be put towards a better unit like the 520W s12ii?

Just now, stconquest said:

So, since OP is spending $50 on a 500W unit of unknown performance value... would it be fair to say the same $50 can be put towards a better unit like the 520W s12ii?

Yes, but I was not talking about the OP. It was more of a rhetorical statement about the quality of the XT series ;) I know what PSUs are good and not good, I don't recommend CX units, there are always better ones for the money. My statement was used as a comparison between two low quality units.

Just now, turkey3_scratch said:

Yes, but I was not talking about the OP. It was more of a rhetorical statement about the quality of the XT series ;) I know what PSUs are good and not good, I don't recommend CX units, there are always better ones for the money. My statement was used as a comparison between two low quality units.

I don't understand, but okay.  :)

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Why are you discounting the $20 rebate? 

1 minute ago, Sat1600 said:

Why are you discounting the $20 rebate? 

You need to spend $50 in order to get the PSU, so you have that money.  Let the stupid rebate go and grab something good for your $50.

:)

ive overclocked both intel and amd on my cx and i've had no problems, but just because i've had no problems dosen't mean anyone else wont encounter some. all im saying is you people over exaggerate some psu's lmao

That's not how money works. $30 after rebate does not equal  $50

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

ive overclocked both intel and amd on my cx and i've had no problems, but just because i've had no problems dosen't mean anyone else wont encounter some. all im saying is you people over exaggerate some psu's lmao

It's not that, it's just then when a non-Corsair unit comes in looking like it's garbage, everyone defends it because it has "XFX" on the cover and Seasonic played a role in the design. If the XFX XT was a Corsair unit, I can guarantee everyone would be talking about the next worst CX.

20 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Oh I'm sorry... please link a non-poor quality CX unit.

The new, updated CX 450M / 550M / 650M should be better than the CWT DSA-III based CXv3 / M. Since it utilizes DC-DC for the generation of the minor rails, it offer better electrical performance (voltage regulation, transient loads, efficiency, etc) than even the Seasonic S/M12II-B 380-620w. It also had been updated to 40C and a 5 year warranty. The CWT PUQ-B based 750/850w was also updated this warranty change and temperature rating, in which it offer a higher rated bridge rectifier.

Many probably still won't like the capacitor choice, but Japanese caps are indeed part of the AVL for the CX now. Of course, I'm still waiting to see a review of this new platform, so how good is it is still an unknown.

21 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

That's not how money works. $30 after rebate does not equal  $50

Actually it does work that way.  You won't see that $20 for many months, if ever.

1 hour ago, Sat1600 said:

Anyone know anything about this series. At first I thought that all xfx were seasonic. However looking around I haven't found anything that confirms that. This seams very cheap for a SeaSonic with a 5 year warranty.

Xfx xt

It's a good unit. No issues.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

12 minutes ago, quan289 said:

The new, updated CX 450M / 550M / 650M should be better than the CWT DSA-III based CXv3 / M. Since it utilizes DC-DC for the generation of the minor rails, it offer better electrical performance (voltage regulation, transient loads, efficiency, etc) than even the Seasonic S/M12II-B 380-620w. It also had been updated to 40C and a 5 year warranty. The CWT PUQ-B based 750/850w was also updated this warranty change and temperature rating, in which it offer a higher rated bridge rectifier.

Many probably still won't like the capacitor choice, but Japanese caps are indeed part of the AVL for the CX now. Of course, I'm still waiting to see a review of this new platform, so how good is it is still an unknown.

Most people, like myself, understand one thing:  degrading performance over time.  We want units that will deliver the advertised wattage for as long as possible.

Looks like the Linus Tech Tips forums is circlejerking on misinformation again.

I said earlier than the XFX XT is a Seasonic designed unit and not made by them. It's an okay unit but if you're considering taking this over something like a Corsair CX430 or even an EVGA 500B, I'd personally have to pick a CX430 because it's at least tried and true. Not saying that this is a bad PSU at all, but there's not much information on this, making it a bit sketchy. If you wanna step up higher, get a Seasonic M12II 520 or an EVGA GQ 650.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

We have to review every model before we establish a clear, general opinion (remember the reliable CX ads). XFX XT is so new we can't say anything. Every manufacturer made shitty ones or series for very limited usage. Whatever you say it remains a guess until  tested. We know the OEM is seasonic so it is probably reliable. We know it has rather bad caps so it is probably made for office usage. Still we don't have much information about the internal or about the output quality and we have no idea what else it would be good for.

And I wouldn't buy and wouldn't recommend it because of this.

1 hour ago, Erwylh said:

We know it has rather bad caps

I don't know enough about psu manufacturing. Why do we have to assume that just because it shares a platform with another psu that it has the same caps? Is that how the are made?

50 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

I don't know enough about psu manufacturing. Why do we have to assume that just because it shares a platform with another psu that it has the same caps? Is that how the are made?

I said the opposite: Seasonic OEM means almost nothing.

10 minutes ago, Erwylh said:

I said the opposite: Seasonic OEM means almost nothing.

I mean that the source for the idea that the caps are bad is because they share a platform with the hydance CT series. I have not seen any photos or anything saying what kind of caps are in the XFX unit.

Now it could be that there is good reason to assume that they are the same. I don't know enough about the manufacturing process to know. That's why I was asking.

Sorry for not being clear enough. So, I gathered infos from orionpsudb, they said that the capacitors are bad.

Platorm has nothing to do with it. Think about the EVGA B500: HEC OEM (this specific design is terrible btw) but they replaced everything bad to decent stuff, after that the bad psu became pretty good for entry-level. The opposite can happen to the XT series, if they swap expensive stuff to crap to save money.

Most of the time OEM means the flat circuitboard itself (so in this case Seasonic offered a solution but XFX picked the components). The exception is the rebranding companies who sell the same product with different external design.

4 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

And you know how?

It's a Seasonic OEM unit http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page625.htm

It sounds about on-par with an ECO-series rebrand, but we can call in @quan289

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

But the ECO Series has no professional reviews done on them online, except a crappy review that uses software to test voltages, but from the interiors Chemi-Con capacitors are visible. The XFX XT is unknown as of now to how it performs, only the internals are known, and Seasonic it's even the manufacturer.

I think it's best to avoid assumptions. No one on Jonnyguru has made any positive assumptions: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12983 let alone any at all.

The Seasonic ECO = Seasonic ST platform = XFX TS 430

It's a group-regulated design, where the 12V and 5V shared the same regulating mechanism. The difference between this platform and the other group-regulated S/M12II-B / Evo is the generation of the 3.3V from the 12V via DC-DC which can help with crossloads and efficiency. This seem to be Seasonic cheaper method of making it "Haswell Compatible"  / ATX12V 2.4 compliant

Anyways, I don't have much time to read through the whole thing again (bottle feeding newborn puppies), but here's the results of the performance of the platform (ripple suppression on page 9 and internals on page 4) : http://www.itocp.com/htmls/14/n-5814-11.html

I'll let you decide whether or not the platform is good. Hopefully, my lack of sleep doesn't affect by ability to do basic math, but here's the ripple suppression and load regulation within its rated output.  It doesn't seem that itocp test for transient loads (a test to see a PSU ability to hold it regulation during a dynamic change in load) though.

12V: 1.58% | 48mVpp; 5V: 2.8% | 17mVpp; 3.3V: 2.73% | 44mVpp

As for XFX XT, admittedly, I haven't read too much on it aside from what had been posted at Orion's PSU Database, and that is since Seasonic is a fairly small company in comparison to CWT for example, their factory may not be able to keep up with the demands of their contractor. As such, they may hand over their reins to another company for the manufacturing process, as you can see with the XFX XT.

According to Robert aka RobiKenobi @ TweakPC, it's "performance is quite good". Or at least "good" for a group-regulated design, and he is testing it under an ATE, oscilloscope, etc. as they had assess to Cooler Master testing equipment.

UPDATE:

So the psu arrived today. According to the manual there is only a 2 YEAR WARRANTY!

I contacted newegg. They said that the manuel might be in error. They are looking into it.

If all other XFX psu have a 5 year warranty then this makes me nervous. So it's going back.

I did manage to get a picture of the caps through the grill. If anyone can identify I would appreciate it.

20160308_153307.jpg

Apparently, it supposed to be 3 years. http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/xt-series-bronze-full-wired/xt-series-500w-psu-80-bronze-p1-500b-xtfr

Site states 3, manual state 2, and e-tailer state 5...

Those are Chun Shing (CS) caps from 12Kuang Jin which aren't great. IIRC, OW from JG would deduct one full points for them, while CapXon would get a half point deduction.

On 3/7/2016 at 9:15 PM, Sat1600 said:

Anyone know anything about this series. At first I thought that all xfx were seasonic. However looking around I haven't found anything that confirms that. This seams very cheap for a SeaSonic with a 5 year warranty.

Xfx xt

UPDATE:

So the psu arrived today. According to the manual there is only a 2 YEAR WARRANTY!

I contacted newegg. They said that the manuel might be in error. They are looking into it.

If all other XFX psu have a 5 year warranty then this makes me nervous. So it's going back.

I did manage to get a picture of the caps through the grill. If anyone can identify I would appreciate it.

20160308_153307.jpg

Thanks. I'm waiting for a reply from newegg.