Update: XFX XT series

Sat1600

Anyone know anything about this series. At first I thought that all xfx were seasonic. However looking around I haven't found anything that confirms that. This seams very cheap for a SeaSonic with a 5 year warranty.

Xfx xt

UPDATE:

So the psu arrived today. According to the manual there is only a 2 YEAR WARRANTY!

I contacted newegg. They said that the manuel might be in error. They are looking into it.

If all other XFX psu have a 5 year warranty then this makes me nervous. So it's going back.

I did manage to get a picture of the caps through the grill. If anyone can identify I would appreciate it.

update 2:

Newegg confirmed that the warranty is 3 years as it says on the XFX website. The newegg website for the unit now says 3 years.

I convinced newegg to issue a credit for $15 to keep the XFX unit. That would match the price of the evga 500B promo that I missed. So my total upfront cost comes to $35. After I get the rebate the total cost will be $15. I hope that this unit is at least worth that price.

20160308_153307.jpg

It is a Seasonic designed unit outsorced to one of thier other facilities not directly related to them.

I don't know if it's a good unit, but all signs point to it, especially with that 5 year warranty.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

But some other signs don't, such as the CS capacitors (notoriously not-good brand). You never know with warranties. You have a company like Ultra that offers a lifetime warranty, yet their PSUs are nothing special. I'd say all sings point to it being poor quality. If Corsair was making this unit, everyone would be more skeptical.

2 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

But some other signs don't, such as the CS capacitors (notoriously not-good brand). You never know with warranties. You have a company like Ultra that offers a lifetime warranty, yet their PSUs are nothing special. I'd say all sings point to it being poor quality. If Corsair was making this unit, everyone would be more skeptical.

Doesn't work that way.  We have tech reviews for a reason.  Seasonic ONLY makes good-to-outstanding quality PSUs.

It's designed by Seasonic, but it's actually built by another factory. It's outsourced to Shenzhen Rui Sheng Yuan Technology factory (also used by SuperFlower for some units). 

It shares internals with the Hydance CT series. It's still a decent unit, but it's not really a Seasonic unit, strictly speaking.

EDIT: Then again, the design is more important than builder, to an extent. Even though there seems to be some cost saving measures (lower quality caps and some some for additional capacitors that have been skipped with a jumper wire). Seems to be a more budget oriented unit, but considering Seasonic's reputation, it should be decent. 

Will have to wait for detailed reviews and breakdowns, I guess. 

http://www.orionpsudb.com/news/the-mystery-of-xfx-budget-xt-line-solved-oem-and-platform-discovered

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Doesn't work that way.  We have tech reviews for a reason.  Seasonic ONLY makes good-to-outstanding quality PSUs.

Oshino is right. Seasonic does not make it strictly speaking.

Thanks for the replies

I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I have premier now thanks to groupon so free shipping. Unless someone can think of a better unit for $30 shipped. 

3 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Thanks for the replies

I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I have premier now thanks to groupon so free shipping. Unless someone can think of a better unit for $30 shipped. 

You mean $50, with a $20 MIR... still a good deal.

Note:  it only delivers 440W on the 12v rail.  Is that enough for your system?  The 600W is $60.

Secondary capacitors rated 85C, CS brand. I wouldn't touch this. Grab yourself a Corsair CX instead.

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

SeaSonic designed, XFX outsourced to a company that does well.  From what I've read the XT is not a junk line at all.

Seasonic is a brand/OEM. A power supply is a hunk of a metal box with electronics inside. Whether it is made by whoever, it does not change what is inside, which are 85C secondary CS capacitors.

4 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Secondary capacitors rated 85C, CS brand. I wouldn't touch this. Grab yourself a Corsair CX instead.

Wait... we have a PSU that in all likelihood will perform well, yet you recommend a known "shitty" PSU as the alternative?

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

SeaSonic designed, XFX outsourced to a company that does well.  From what I've read the XT is not a junk line at all.

It seems somewhat questionable. Depends on the system it's being used for as it is fundamentally a budget unit. 

3 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Primary caps are CS 85C and the secondary are from CS, but there doesn't appear to be much info on the temperature tolerances for them. 

Just now, stconquest said:

Wait... we have a PSU that in all likelihood will perform well, yet you recommend a known "shitty" PSU as the alternative?

Point being that the CX is most likely less crappy, even though both are low quality.

Just now, turkey3_scratch said:

Point being that the CX is most likely less crappy, even though both are low quality.

No, most likely the CX will be shit-ier.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It seems somewhat questionable. Depends on the system it's being used for as it is fundamentally a budget unit. 

Primary caps are CS 85C and the secondary are from CS, but there doesn't appear to be much info on the temperature tolerances for them. 

To quote Orion:

" The capacitor mention on the Brazilian store page is weird too: "Outros Capacitoress: 85C (Taiwan)" - secondary capacitors in PC power supplies are never rated for only 85 degrees Celsius. Even the worst of the worst are 105C. "

Which, while he's unclear, and I don't speak Taiwanese, sounds like 85C secondary caps to me. Ask anybody why they don't like the CX, they all say "capacitors". Something like the CX 430 has solid voltage regulation and ripple, all that stuff is good, it's just the capacitors. Yet, because of brand loyalty, when an XFX XT pops up and has CS capacitors, everyone wants to defend it. Analyze this unit for what it really is, not by brand.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

No, most likely the CX will be shit-ier.

Explain to me how then.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I've seen more people bitch about CX than XT, given that ratio, I doubt it.

That's because people don't know what they're talking about half the time. The CX are poor quality, yes, they are bad. But why in your righteous mind do you think this XT will be better?

Just now, turkey3_scratch said:

To quote Orion:

" The capacitor mention on the Brazilian store page is weird too: "Outros Capacitoress: 85C (Taiwan)" - secondary capacitors in PC power supplies are never rated for only 85 degrees Celsius. Even the worst of the worst are 105C. "

Which, while he's unclear, and I don't speak Taiwanese, sounds like 85C secondary caps to me. Ask anybody why they don't like the CX, they all say "capacitors". Something like the CX 430 has solid voltage regulation and ripple, all that stuff is good, it's just the capacitors. Yet, because of brand loyalty, when an XFX XT pops up and has CS capacitors, everyone wants to defend it. Analyze this unit for what it really is, not by brand.

Read further down. 

"User f14 on vozforumz.net has opened his Hydance 400W and 500W a while ago. Both Hydance and XFX XT implementations use rather low end CS hold-up capacitor rated for 85 degrees C on the primary side, and the secondary side uses caps from the same brand for output filtering."

85C on PSU caps does seem really low. 

To be honest, ask most people why they don't like the CX series and they won't really be able to tell you why, they've just heard they're bad. It's led to people just believing they're crap, despite the ripple, voltage and all that good stuff being decent. It's just the caps and temperature tolerances that make it bad for high power draw systems. 

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

That is an invalid argument. You are pitting a CX 500W, a poor quality unit, against a high-quality S12ii. We are not talking about the S12ii, we are talking about XFX XT, a completely unrelated unit.

That is an invalid argument. You are pitting a CX 500W, a poor quality unit, against a high-quality S12ii. We are not talking about the S12ii, we are talking about XFX XT, a completely unrelated unit.

So why are you recommending the CX series when you could have just recommended the SeaSonic S12II instead?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Oh I'm sorry... please link a non-poor quality CX unit.

Just now, stconquest said:

Oh I'm sorry... please link a non-poor quality CX unit.

There are none, but that's aside the point that they're still likely better or equal to the XFX XT units.

I wasn't exactly "recommending" a CX, it was a way of saying, "Well, if you're going to get XFX XT junk, might as well get slightly better CX junk". I never recommend either unit, I always recommend increasing the budget for a quality unit.