CPU remps get really high after a while

pippu

Hey I recently made a new pc for my brother.

I have issue with the cpu temps. Running Prime95, the temps stay around 70-80c, but after couple minutes it quikly jumps to 90-100. Idle temps were around 20-30, but after the test they jump rapidly to 50 sometimes. I use Core Temp to monitor CPU temps, are these rapid jumps (at idle) normal? And why it goes to 100c after a while? The cooler is quite tight and does not wiggle around. I used MX-4 thermal paste, and applied a decent line of it. I use the turbo fan mode in Q-fan control (BIOS).

Intel core i7 6700k, Asus Z170-A and thelmalright Macho Direct.

Help is really appriciated.

Any free alternatives?

7 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Use AIDA64 for temp monitoring.

Any free alternatives?

Just now, pippu said:

Any free alternatives?

You don't need to use the full version, the only limit (temp wise) is you won't be able to see only the storage devices' temps.

19 minutes ago, Dabasepc said:

I wouldn't use Prime95 tbh.

How should I make sure that the cooling works properly?

Heavyload works great for me also i would check if the cooler and the coolingpaste is alright. Also check with speedfan the rpm of the cpu fan. If they jump then the fan might is broken, mine runs on 1400rpm constantly under heavy load.

Prime 95 is a not a realistic test for your system. It way over stresses your system compared to anything most normal people would use a computer for. To the point where you could actually damage parts.

I also find that it isn't really all the accurate at telling if your system is stable or not. I have had my system pass an hour of prime 95 and crash during a game or a benchmark. I have also had it fail prim 95 right away but run fine when doing anything else.

Its a good way to see how your cooling system handles extreme heat, but that is about it in my opinion.

I use cinebench, unigine valley and RaceRoom to do most of my testing. I also render some audio and video since that is most likely what I will actually be doing with my computer.

CPU-Z also has a benchmark/stress tab in it if you just want to heat things up a bit to test that.

My experience with over clocking seems to be a bit different others. I have never had heat actually be the limiting factor for me. What I mean by that is if I have an over clock setting fail to work, adding more cooling never makes it suddenly work. With any of my AMD cpus I have never had to use more than normal fans and a cheap aftermarket cpu cooler to keep thing under control. I get concerned if anything in my system gets over 60c when stress testing.

At the current moment I waiting for my new fans and fan controller to be shipped. My system is running with almost no cooling. The only thing it has is a cheap 3 pipe cooler with a 90mm fan on it. It is over clocked from 4.2 to 4.6 and doesn't get over 55 degrees under hard use. It idles at around 27c.

18 hours ago, pippu said:

Any free alternatives?

OCCT, XTU, RealBench.

P95 needs some certain version to be decent for stress test. You should use it if you are using automatic voltages in BIOS.

As for temps. Load temps look about what they usually are with P95. Jumping while on idle is kinda normal too. There's most likely some software needing CPU power and temps adjust for it. It might also be related to CoreTemps update fequency and way to show temps. Like showing average of all cores, and not them as package like many other software do. Neither is really accurate, so if you can check individual core's, that would be much better. Screenshots, pls.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7.3.2016 at 2:05 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

OCCT, XTU, RealBench.

P95 needs some certain version to be decent for stress test. You should use it if you are using automatic voltages in BIOS.

As for temps. Load temps look about what they usually are with P95. Jumping while on idle is kinda normal too. There's most likely some software needing CPU power and temps adjust for it. It might also be related to CoreTemps update fequency and way to show temps. Like showing average of all cores, and not them as package like many other software do. Neither is really accurate, so if you can check individual core's, that would be much better. Screenshots, pls.

I run Prime95 on my computer, 4790K and hyper 212 evo, max temps were under 80.