Upgrade from R9 270X to GTX 770

Hello, everyone!

My PC currently runs Ubuntu and I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU. Since Nvidia support for Linux is great, I'm thinking about switching my R9 270X for a card from team green. However, because here in Brazil we are in a deep sh*t, the prices for the Gtx 900 series are horrible. Because of that, I was thinking about getting a used Gtx 770. I have a 600W 80 Plus PSU, so in terms of power I should be covered. My doubt is the following: is it a relevant upgrade from the R9 270X? Bear in mind that the amd drivers on linux are lacking. For example, the Gtx 950 delivers the same performance than my R9 on Ubuntu.

Thanks for any help :)

@profBenjamim To be honest I don't see where is the problem as a R9 270X is actually comparable to a GTX950 on Windows, a 770 would be an upgrade as the 270X is comparable to a 760 with today's drivers more than it did when the cards launched, but still it will be small upgrade like going from the 270X to a 280X/380, and i were at your situation with the 270X but decided The real upgrade would be a GTX970 and nothing less (and here the prices are not the "best" either, the 970 costed me more than 450$..) 

perfrel_1920.gif

wait, nvidia support for linux?

--

that said, have you tried both opensource/proprietary amd drivers?

also, appareantly (on windows) the gtx770 will be roughly 25% fater than the 270x, and i have to say aside from some display related issue (i have a really fucked up monitor setup, i'm in the process of fixing it) my gtx970 is a mostly pleasant experience.

i guess it comes down to how much you're gonna be paying for the 770, i wouldnt dump the full retail price on it.

Thanks for all the replies. About Linux support, even tough AMD is more friendly towards open source, Nvidia's drivers give more performance. As I said on my first post, the R9 270X performs like a Gtx 950 on Ubuntu with the proprietary AMD drivers installed. It is good enough for the games I play right now, but if you are not familiar with linux gaming, a lot of games run like garbage on AMD hardware because they are developed in close relation to Nvidia, so having an Nvidia card, even a weaker one, will result in better performance than any AMD card.

About price, my main option is an used well conserved Gtx 770 that is going for about $266,00. A new full price Gtx 970 here is about $439,00. 

7 minutes ago, David_K said:

@profBenjamim To be honest I don't see where is the problem as a R9 270X is actually comparable to a GTX950 on Windows, a 770 would be an upgrade as the 270X is comparable to a 760 with today's drivers more than it did when the cards launched, but still it will be small upgrade like going from the 270X to a 280X/380, and i were at your situation with the 270X but decided The real upgrade would be a GTX970 and nothing less (and here the prices are not the "best" either, the 970 costed me more than 450$..) 

because on linux drivers are more so a lotery than a given.

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

wait, nvidia support for linux?

nvidia drivers are far better than AMD for linux, they actually work properly

to use AMD cards on linux without issues or bad performance or broken features you need to install opensource drivers which are made by the linux community, so a bit more complicated than download and click to install

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, profBenjamim said:

As I said on my first post, the R9 270X performs like a Gtx 950 on Ubuntu with the proprietary AMD drivers installed.

That's pretty much how it is on Windows?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

That's pretty much how it is on Windows?

I don't think so. According to Gpuboss the r9 270x should be better than the gtx 950 on Windows.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

nvidia drivers are far better than AMD for linux, they actually work properly

to use AMD cards on linux without issues or bad performance or broken features you need to install opensource drivers which are made by the linux community, so a bit more complicated than download and click to install

the issue with nvidia drivers is they're being developed completely seperately from the linux community, and there is far less cross-talking between teams than there should be. 

Just now, profBenjamim said:

I don't think so. According to Gpuboss the t9 270x should be better than the gtx 950 on Windows.

ignore gpuboss, userbenchmark seems to be a far more reliable source of information.

Just now, manikyath said:

the issue with nvidia drivers is they're being developed completely seperately from the linux community, and there is far less cross-talking between teams than there should be. 

And so are the AMD proprietary drivers, which are the ones that deliver performance. On the open source drivers, I get half the fps on my games :(

Just now, manikyath said:

yeah, sucks for devs that use linux, but for a consumer and just wants to install something that works its a lot easier to go with nvidia

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, profBenjamim said:

I don't think so. According to Gpuboss the r9 270x should be better than the gtx 950 on Windows.

perfrel_2560.gif perfrel_1920.gif

Stock to stock , the same. 

3 minutes ago, David_K said:

perfrel_2560.gif perfrel_1920.gif

Stock to stock , the same. 

Just so I know, what is the source for those gaphs? I see them on lots of foruns and I'd like to know who is responsible for them, so I can check them out directly next time. I'm kind of a noob with gpus :P

25 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The 770 should utterly destroy the 270x in Linux.

Thanks :) I think I'll buy the 770, especially because It is costing about $266 and I can sell my r9 270x for about $186 here in my country.

I wish I could find it, but I remember seeing some gaming benchmarks showing the 970 demolishing the Fury X in either Linux or SteamOS, can't remember which.

Go for it. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I wish I could find it, but I remember seeing some gaming benchmarks showing the 970 demolishing the Fury X in either Linux or SteamOS, can't remember which.

My guess would be that you saw it on phoronix.