Is it worth it to upgrade to the newer skylake processors?

Hi. I have a i7-4770k and I am thinking about upgrading. Do you guys think it is worth it to upgrade my cpu? If I were to upgrade, I think I would get a cpu with more cores, because mine has 4 and I really want to get into VR. My Graphics Card can run it, but when doing the steam vr hardware check, I barely made into the "ready" category because my cpu might run into some issues by not being able to processes the environment (physics things). So, is it worth it to upgrade into a newer skylake i7 cpu?

NO

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

14 minutes ago, CoolBeans72 said:

Hi. I have a i7-4770k and I am thinking about upgrading. Do you guys think it is worth it to upgrade my cpu?

no, because the best CPU is like 5% faster than the one you have.

Upgrade your GPU and monitor instead if you have money burning your pockets.

check my signature:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, CoolBeans72 said:

Why?

There is barely any difference in performance. Also Skylake still tops at 4 cores.

You would get more benefit going to Haswell-E than Skylake.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

That i7 is more than enough. Not worth it to upgrade to Skylake. Can you post a screenshot of the VR test? If anything, upgrading the GPU would make more sense but the GTX 970 is already good enough.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

13 minutes ago, CoolBeans72 said:

Hi. I have a i7-4770k and I am thinking about upgrading. Do you guys think it is worth it to upgrade my cpu? If I were to upgrade, I think I would get a cpu with more cores, because mine has 4 and I really want to get into VR. My Graphics Card can run it, but when doing the steam vr hardware check, I barely made into the "ready" category because my cpu might run into some issues by not being able to processes the environment (physics things). So, is it worth it to upgrade into a newer skylake i7 cpu?

It is so not worth it. you have to factor in the motherboard new ram the cpu plus z97 is a perfect platform right now. just do some overclocking and you can out proform the 6700k

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Is it worth it from what you have? Hell no.

No way you failed in SteamVR Performance Test with that hardware... There's definitely something wrong going on your end. My overclocked 2700K @ 4.5GHz has about the same performance as a stock 4770K/4790K in both CPU bound games and benchmarking software so in theory you should be Ready too.

FQF2lWr.png