Last Advice for $2800 build

Go to solution Solved by JMJenkins,
On 3/4/2016 at 1:23 AM, Darkzed1 said:

Hey do u know what cables I would need to get to be compatible with my fans and motherboard if they dont reach? (There is a built on fan controller) 

Sorry, never built a PC myself yet, my first time will be in 'merica *blush*

Hey guys I am finally to the day of purchase I will be getting all the parts later today and would like some advice from some more experience builders to help me out. This will be my first build and if there is anything I am missing like a missing cord or a longer cord for my fans etc it would be appreciated if I can get some last minute tips. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($308.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($86.75 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($629.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($629.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($163.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Silverstone SST-FHP141 171.0 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($16.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2739.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-04 17:21 EST-0500

Just my two cents, nothing about your build, I'm not skilled enough to say what is right and what is wrong with your build. But why not just buy one graphics card for now and buy a PASCUL (new Nvidea GPU) that is supposedly being released in June, then try sell off the 980 Ti for about $50-$100 less and get a second PASCUL GPU if possible. They are being unveiled on April 5th, it isn't too much of a wait and I'm pretty sure you can play whatever you want on a single 980 Ti no problem. Just a simple 3 months and you'll have the chance of buying a better GPU for a similar, if not cheaper price. (Probably more expensive but more power)

If you could get a 500gb SSD I'd do that and do you need 32gb of RAM?

Just now, jcw150 said:

If you could get a 500gb SSD I'd do that and do you need 32gb of RAM?

I will be upgradeing to better SSD at a later date for now this one suits my purpose. and the 32GB of ram is mainly because this is a no holds barred PC with a very large budget. 

1 minute ago, jcw150 said:

Also what display will you be pairing this with?

An Asus PG348Q 34" Ultrawide Display 

2 minutes ago, JMJenkins said:

Just a simple 3 months and you'll have the chance of buying a better GPU for a similar, if not cheaper price. (Probably more expensive but more power)

I agree with him ^^^ I mean after the new card hit you could probably get a titan or just save a lofty amount.

Also in that price range, why not spend a bit more for a WD black?

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

3 minutes ago, JMJenkins said:

Just my two cents, nothing about your build, I'm not skilled enough to say what is right and what is wrong with your build. But why not just buy one graphics card for now and buy a PASCUL (new Nvidea GPU) that is supposedly being released in June. They are being unveiled on April 5th, it isn't too much of a wait and I'm pretty sure you can play whatever you want on a single 980 Ti no problem. Just a simple 3 months and you'll have the chance of buying a better GPU for a similar, if not cheaper price. (Probably more expensive but more power)

If he's buying now waiting is literally the stupidest idea.

3 months he might save a couple hundred bucks for the performance of a 980Ti. 

You might also spend the same price

have you ever seen launch day prices? $600 on the 980, skip to now, $30 dollars more and you could get a 980Ti

Dont wait, waiting is stupid you'll spend more for less.

16 minutes ago, Darkzed1 said:

-snip-

Personnally , if you plan to spend that much money on a new build , you should wait .

But i came up with this build that should outperform yours. I know scaling beyond 2 way sli isn't great , but you should still see a boost in performance .

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xHBd3C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xHBd3C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($134.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2815.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-04 17:32 EST-0500

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Ronnie76 said:

If he's buying now waiting is literally the stupidest idea.

3 months he might save a couple hundred bucks for the performance of a 980Ti. 

You might also spend the same price

have you ever seen launch day prices? $600 on the 980, skip to now, $30 dollars more and you could get a 980Ti

Dont wait, waiting is stupid you'll spend more for less.

I never said he shouldn't buy a 980 Ti now. I just don't see the reason to buy 2 of them RIGHT NOW when he could buy one, wait 3 months, buy something a lot more powerful. As for how much more powerful, I cannot say until someone has done benchmarks with it.

I never said he shouldn't buy a 980 Ti now. I just don't see the reason to buy 2 of them RIGHT NOW when he could buy one, wait 3 months, buy something a lot more powerful. As for how much more powerful, I cannot say until someone has done benchmarks with it.

Its not worth the gamble. 

Its really risking it. We know there no problems with the 980Ti, whos there to say there wont be a problem with the **80 ex) 970 gate, again you also put a very heavy risk in relying that the new GPU's will be better.

More people than just I will tell you to buy now and that waiting is the stupidest move you can do.

1 minute ago, Ronnie76 said:

Its really risking it. We know there no problems with the 980Ti, whos there to say there wont be a problem with the **80 ex) 970 gate, again you also put a very heavy risk in relying that the new GPU's will be better.

More people than just I will tell you to buy now and that waiting is the stupidest move you can do.

I fail to see this "gamble" or "very heavy risk", first of all, it will feature much faster memory which already helps him in the regard of his very large monitor. A single 980 Ti, I'm not sure how well it performs on his monitor and I'm not sure how much better SLI 980 Ti will do it, these new graphics cards boast some pretty big performance boosts.

Also, how is it a gamble? Buy a 980 Ti, use for 3 months, check out the new graphics cards and see if they are worth buying, if so, buy one, if not, buy another 980 Ti. Where exactly does this gamble come into place?

3 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

I dont want to have another situation like the titan then the 980 so I eill wait a year or so for them to release better iterations

9 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Personnally , if you plan to spend that much money on a new build , you should wait .

But i came up with this build that should outperform yours. I know scaling beyond 2 way sli isn't great , but you should still see a boost in performance .

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xHBd3C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xHBd3C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($134.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2815.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-04 17:32 EST-0500

Ya the only issue is I am new to building and 2-way sli is as far as I am willing to go beyond my experience and knowledge. Just in case something happens and I would have to troubleshoot there are much less variables. 

Just now, Darkzed1 said:

Ya the only issue is I am new to building and 2-way sli is as far as I am willing to go beyond my experience and knowledge. Just in case something happens and I would have to troubleshoot there are much less variables. 

well , if you test the gpus one by one , you should be fine , but i get what you mean.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, JMJenkins said:

I fail to see this "gamble" or "very heavy risk", first of all, it will feature much faster memory which already helps him in the regard of his very large monitor. A single 980 Ti, I'm not sure how well it performs on his monitor and I'm not sure how much better SLI 980 Ti will do it, these new graphics cards boast some pretty big performance boosts.

Also, how is it a gamble? Buy a 980 Ti, use for 3 months, check out the new graphics cards and see if they are worth buying, if so, buy one, if not, buy another 980 Ti. Where exactly does this gamble come into place?

It won't, I'm telling you this

Its like a car, you buy a GPU it INSTANTLY decreases value 

the most preformance boost you'll see is in Anti-Aliasing and Antisotrophic filtering.

Thats literally all VRAM does.

I wouldn't even recommend Pascal then, its literally the stupidest idea when buying flagship GPU's

Get a Fury X for HBM if you want fast memory. Something NVIDIA will be lacking for quiet a while.

1 minute ago, Darkzed1 said:

I really would not go 3 way SLI as it causes issues with stuttering and just the fact that there's also so much heat with 3 GPUs

3 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

It won't, I'm telling you this

Its like a car, you buy a GPU it INSTANTLY decreases value 

the most preformance boost you'll see is in Anti-Aliasing and Antisotrophic filtering.

Thats literally all VRAM does.

I wouldn't even recommend Pascal then, its literally the stupidest idea when buying flagship GPU's

Get a Fury X for HBM if you want fast memory. Something NVIDIA will be lacking for quiet a while.

I see your point, but I'd still wait. This is a huge leap in hardware improvement compared to a GTX 700 series or 800 series to a 900 series. If I understood the boosts in performance, it's like a 500 series to a 700 series. What you said about fast memory and getting a Fury X for HBM, isn't the PASCUL GPU's supposedly meant to be using HBM 2 (which I presume is faster, going to research this after I post).

I would also say get the fastest 980Ti you can get, wait for pascal and then go SLI. 

You tell me! Who is your daddy and what does he do? 

Systems:

Spoiler

• Silent-WS: 5820k@4,5GHz, 32GB Klevv Cras white DDR4, Titan X Pascal@EKWB, Asus X99 E-WS 3.1, 512GB 950Pro, Caselabs Merlin SM8, Seasonic Prime 850W
  • MacBook: 15" Retina Late 2013
  • Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5"
  • Network Storage: -

10 minutes ago, JMJenkins said:

I see your point, but I'd still wait. This is a huge leap in hardware improvement compared to a GTX 700 series or 800 series to a 900 series. If I understood the boosts in performance, it's like a 500 series to a 700 series. What you said about fast memory and getting a Fury X for HBM, isn't the PASCUL GPU's supposedly meant to be using HBM 2 (which I presume is faster, going to research this after I post).

If I remember a while back NVIDIA won't be getting top priority especially since in a long, long time no news on Pascal +HBM (5~ months) and even if it is, it won't be HBM 2.0 because NVIDIA never was able to get priority access because of some conflict if I remember between Samsung and them

2 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

If I remember a while back NVIDIA won't be getting top priority especially since in a long, long time no news on Pascal +HBM (5~ months) and even if it is, it won't be HBM 2.0 because NVIDIA never was able to get priority access because of some conflict if I remember between Samsung and them

Well then we'll just have to wait and see for April 5th, not the OP, me personally. They are apparently unveiling a working unit, not a prototype, so we should find out the specifications then, hopefully?

Well then we'll just have to wait and see for April 5th, not the OP, me personally. They are apparently unveiling a working unit, not a prototype, so we should find out the specifications then, hopefully?

hopefully. Lets also hope we don't have another 970 gate eh?

Just now, Ronnie76 said:

hopefully. Lets also hope we don't have another 970 gate eh?

The only thing I hope for is that by the time I arrive or leave America (July 29th to October XXth) there will be a working Pascal GPU that I can use for my new PC that I'll be buying during my stay. Fingers crossed as I really hope they will bring a GPU that can run 100FPS in most games on the Asus PG348Q 34" (or better) as I was planing on buying one of those.

20 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

I really would not go 3 way SLI as it causes issues with stuttering and just the fact that there's also so much heat with 3 GPUs

Agreed I am already worried about the heat from two haha 

13 minutes ago, JMJenkins said:

The only thing I hope for is that by the time I arrive or leave America (July 29th to October XXth) there will be a working Pascal GPU that I can use for my new PC that I'll be buying during my stay. Fingers crossed as I really hope they will bring a GPU that can run 100FPS in most games on the Asus PG348Q 34" (or better) as I was planing on buying one of those.

Hey do u know what cables I would need to get to be compatible with my fans and motherboard if they dont reach? (There is a built on fan controller)