Second opinion on my budget build

Go to solution Solved by Riv,
Just now, Jakulon said:

I like this idea. Instead of SSD I would put money into i3 6100. This however needs a different motherboard and gives no option of overclocking. What would you suggest is a capable budget mobo with LGA 1151 chipset? 

Dont worry, your fine ;p Z170 motherboards are more for overclocking, but they can be pretty pricey. If you want to save a pretty penny (and lose some features like more SATA ports/DIMM slots) you could go with a H110 motherboard. Same functionality and socket as Z170 motherboards, you just can't really overclock that well with them. Going with the cheaper motherboard will save you about 50$, but its up to you to decide.

Hello,

I have created a list of components for my budget gaming pc build. I would be glad if someone was able to have a look and give me a second opinion in case I have overlooked something and/or suggest how to improve it. I will appreciate every answer. List >>>

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22697889

I am on a tight budget here trying to keep the cost up to 600 euro, I live in the Netherlands. I am going to be using this pc primarily for gaming purposes. I plan to overclock the cpu in the future. I am not a fan of neither brand rather I am looking for best price/performance ration in this build.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Jakulon said:

Hello,

I have created a list of components for my budget gaming pc build. I would be glad if someone was able to have a look and give me a second opinion in case I have overlooked something and/or suggest how to improve it. I will appreciate every answer. List >>>

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22697889

I am on a tight budget here trying to keep the cost up to 600 euro, I live in the Netherlands. I am going to be using this pc primarily for gaming purposes. I plan to overclock the cpu in the future. I am not a fan of neither brand rather I am looking for best price/performance ration in this build.

Thank you.

have you got a hard drive at home, because 120gb will last you about 10 minutes

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

have you got a hard drive at home, because 120gb will last you about 10 minutes

Yes I do have 1TB HDD.

Just now, Jakulon said:

Yes I do have 1TB HDD.

ok, is the ssd a must, because I would personally ditch it and put the money towards an i5

I would drop the 128gb ssd, you can get a 250gb one for the same price. If that motherboard is the cheapest ATX board that fits your needs go for it, but I think you could probably save 20 or 30 if you went with a micro-atx (would still fit in your case and give you a couple of PCI-E slots to work with). You might look at the 860K quad-core, it is about 25 - 30 bucks cheaper and would give you relatively the same performance when paired with a 380. You might be able to go a step up on the GPU if you did that, plus the FM2+ platform offers pci-e 3.0 support.

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

ok, is the ssd a must, because I would personally ditch it and put the money towards an i5

The 128gb SSD is not a must. These days people make it sound like you either have an SSD in your rig or your back in the 90's. of course, you wouldn't get the lightning fast start up speeds. As long as your 1TB HDD is not something dumb like a PATA Hard drive (lol) you should be fine.

Professional Girl

I would get a i3 6100 instead, since it's around the same price and faster:

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Riv said:

The 128gb SSD is not a must. These days people make it sound like you either have an SSD in your rig or your back in the 90's. of course, you wouldn't get the lightning fast start up speeds. As long as your 1TB HDD is not something dumb like a PATA Hard drive (lol) you should be fine.

exactly, and an i5 is a much better buy

5 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

SSD is for the reference I can get 250GB SSD for 60euro. It is not a must. However fx-6300 after discount is just 84euro and the closest i5 which I have found is i5-4460 for 175euro which makes it rather expensive. link > 

http://www.newegg.com/global/nl/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117302 

5 minutes ago, Riv said:

We are talking about Western Digital 1TB drive.

6 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

I would get a i3 6100 instead, since it's around the same price and faster:

I like this idea. Instead of SSD I would put money into i3 6100. This however needs a different motherboard and gives no option of overclocking. What would you suggest is a capable budget mobo with LGA 1151 chipset? 

Just now, Jakulon said:

Any B150/H110 board you can afford and that supports the features you need. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Jakulon said:

We are talking about Western Digital 1TB drive.

yeaaah your fine. I was more joking about the PATA hard drive since no one has ever seen one of those in probably 10 years, but its always a good thing to make sure I guess lol

Professional Girl

Just now, Jakulon said:

LGA 1151 is not a chipset, instead it is a socket. Sockets are the physical dimensions of which the CPU fits into, while the chipset (commonly known as the south bridge) help process input and output data. There are multiple "chipsets" with the LGA 1151 socket, H110, B150, Z170 ETC. Some chipsets are more expensive than others, as they provide more or less features like RAID support and more or less DIMM slots. 

Professional Girl

1 minute ago, Riv said:

LGA 1151 is not a chipset, instead it is a socket. Sockets are the physical dimensions of which the CPU fits into, while the chipset (commonly known as the south bridge) help process input and output data. There are multiple "chipsets" with the LGA 1151 socket, H110, B150, Z170 ETC. Some chipsets are more expensive than others, as they provide more or less features like RAID support and more or less DIMM slots. 

Thank you clearing this out. :-)

Just now, Jakulon said:

Dont worry, your fine ;p Z170 motherboards are more for overclocking, but they can be pretty pricey. If you want to save a pretty penny (and lose some features like more SATA ports/DIMM slots) you could go with a H110 motherboard. Same functionality and socket as Z170 motherboards, you just can't really overclock that well with them. Going with the cheaper motherboard will save you about 50$, but its up to you to decide.

Professional Girl

First of all I want to thank you all for you great suggestions. Secondly I followed them and have come up with a new iteration of the build. Link >>>  https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=29319785 

Now there is i3-6100 as Castdeath97 suggested and I have chosen mobo with H110 chipset based on Riv`s advice.

This build came to be as expensive as the first one thanks to cheaper mobo. However mobo is making me anxious since several reviews said it tends to be DOA but it`s just a handful of people others seem to be happy with it. Moreover this mobo has only 2 DIMM slots, I think about the option to buy a single 8GB DDR4 now and leave second slot for future expansion.

What are your thoughts on this build ?

I think get the i5, FX 6300 getting very old. Buy an ssd in a few months, once you have more money. You could also save some money on the case.

Here's what i got, i found all these parts on the netherlands newegg site.  I have the fx6100 and i havent had issues with it yet, but intel does make a better processor

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($27.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($36.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X 4GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card  ($233.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Total in euros is 597.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-04 16:12 EST-0500

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor + Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX ATX AM3+ Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive & Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case + Thermaltake TR2 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Monitor: Asus VK278Q 27.0" Monitor

Peripherals: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard + Razer Abyssus Wired Optical Mouse Headphones: Bose SIE2i Orange Earbud Headphones + Mic: Kaxidy Stereo MIC