r9 280x Yay or wait

Heesleemer

So a used R9 280x is on craigslist near me, got the price down to 100. It's a Power Color one, and it is going in an Itx rig (hadron air). Do you think cooling would be good enough in a terrible airflow case? Also is 100 a decent price? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

It's good price for something that outperforms a R9 380. Powercolor have pretty decent coolers so I wouldn't worry about it getting too hot.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I have a 280X, albeit a asus DCUII one. I plan on upgrading it when new stuff comes out.

It's a fine GPU, but you should know it's now a couple of years old. It should be fine for medium 1080p for this year, and 720p from then on. If you don+t have anything better to play on, and you're on a budget I'd say go for it. If you have to money to spend, get something better, as this isn't a beast by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully yours is in good condition, although these cards are pretty bulletproof by now...

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Just now, A/C said:

I have a 280X, albeit a asus DCUII one. I plan on upgrading it when new stuff comes out.

It's a fine GPU, but you should know it's now a couple of years old. It should be fine for medium 1080p for this year, and 720p from then on. If you don+t have anything better to play on, and you're on a budget I'd say go for it. If you have to money to spend, get something better, as this isn't a beast by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully yours is in good condition, although these cards are pretty bulletproof by now...

I mean benchmarks show it should be better than my 960 I have in my current rig and that can handle fallout 4 at high settings at 1440p with 40-50 fps The most demanding games I play is fallout or tomb raider. This card will probably be in the itx rig which is an htpc/lan rig (and mobile editing depending on how we

l Adobe likes open cl) but for 100 dollars you think it will more or less be worth the cost? It's not too much so I can save up again and get a high end card for my main rig. Thanks for reading this massive run on sentence #collegegrad

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

It can't run Fallout4 at high settings at 1440p with 40-50 fps - 1080p yes, 1440p no, maaybe medium, haven't tried 'tho so don't quote me on that.

It's faster than a 960 yes, it's no eye-opener compared to it but it's noticably faster. I imagine you could sell your 960 and get some money back, but I have no idea about prices in Boston.

For a 100$ it's worth it, yes. Just be vary you'll have to upgrade next year, but yuo'll cross that bridge when you come to it.

Also, pretty sure all GCN cards, even this one (7970 ghz) support dx12 and all of the newer technologies.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

the 280x is the 7970 if soo yeah get it it runs games fine, pretty sure its also dx 12(dont quote me on that) i got a 7950 which i gve to my cuz and it runs fine playing bf4 and fallout 4

lives on

BAKABT

the fact that it's basically a 4 year old card erks me a bit though

Resist!

Don't expect something as good at this price from pascal/polaris. the 280X is still decent, and priced good for 100$. 

6 minutes ago, David_K said:

Don't expect something as good at this price from pascal/polaris. the 280X is still decent, and priced good for 100$. 

true and it does out perform the 380 by a slight margin

Resist!

2 hours ago, David_K said:

The place where the 380 is really better is the newer tessellation engine of Tonga vs Tahiti.. 

that is true, like I said I'm still wary about the fact that it's such an "old" architecture. With that said I'm going to be in the guy's area this weekend, so might as well go check it out and see if it will fit comfortably in my Hadron Air. 

Resist!

Its mostly still the same architecture, Tonga added better tessellation engine, Memory compression (mostly needed because of the lower memory bus 256 vs 384 of the tahiti card) , support for Freesync and the audio tech amd showed with the 290 . 

27 minutes ago, David_K said:

Its mostly still the same architecture, Tonga added better tessellation engine, Memory compression (mostly needed because of the lower memory bus 256 vs 384 of the tahiti card) , support for Freesync and the audio tech amd showed with the 290 . 

heat wise do you think a non-reference (although I probably wouldn't go for a reference cooler anyways) would be fine in a case with very little air flow? 

Resist!

@Heesleemer As long as you have one intake at the front and one exhaust at the back, it should be fine. the 280X is not a 290X .. Anything below that setup IMHO shouldn't be allowed to run any half decent pc that has a midrange dGPU. 

Hahaha two exhausts up too with passive intakes @David K

Resist!