Slow speed with Samsung 950 PRO

LeechFilcher

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask you something. I just recently got a 950 Pro m.2 drive from samsung with a capacity of 256 GB.

I was a bit confused at the start because it only had a read of 827 mb/s where everywhere in the internet was getting about 2,2 gb/s

my Motherboard is a ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO

My CPU is a Intel Core i7 4790k

MY GPU is a GTX 970

Hopefully you can help me with this one. Prob. sound a bit nooby how I write this but I have some trouble now (need to install 2 new Windows on a Server) and don't really have time to deal with my ssd right now. Thats why I'm asking you guys for help. Maybe anyone of you has an Idea. Running the SSD on GEN 2 Speed, M.2. Just saying :P 

A read of "only" 827MB/s?

I get lyk 1MB/s, 3 at best, and that is what I call "good"

And 827MB/s is not slow at all.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I don't know if your 827mb/s is normal, but I can tell you that you're probably not going to reach the full advertised speed of 2200MBps

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

On 1.3.2016 at 5:13 PM, Djole123 said:

A read of "only" 827MB/s?

I get lyk 1MB/s, 3 at best, and that is what I call "good"

but you didn't pay about 300 bucks for your drive. I want performance for video/music edeting and stuff like that :P

How have you checked this speed? Benchmarks, file transfers...? 

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Just now, LeechFilcher said:

but you didn't pay about 300 bucks for your drive. I want performance for video edeting and stuff like that :P

Oh but I paid 300$ for my whole computer!

Specs down below.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

I don't know if your 827mb/s is normal, but I can tell you that you're probably not going to reach the full advertised speed of 2200MBps

I know its not reaching 2.2 GB/S but it should atleast run at 1.5 GB/S.

Just now, Xaring said:

How have you checked this speed? Benchmarks, file transfers...? 

Capture.PNG

Just now, itsmyjobtoknow said:

The controller for that drive might be thermal throttling...which from what I read is an issue with the SamsungXP941 and possible an issue with the 950 Pro as well.

How does that happen, they must have real issues with the thing then. I have a good cooling system, they shouldn't overheat. Going with 3 Intakes and 1 Outtake. I could maybe put them on a higher voltage? Currently set them to 5 V maybe If I ramp them up to 7V would that change speed?

OK the controller is sitting at 44.2 °C I think thats bad isn't it? :D

I believe the M.2 slot on that motherboard runs off a PCIe 2.0 x2 connection, which has a theoretical maximum throughput of 1 GB/s. Capping out at 800-odd MB/s isn't too strange, though I'd have expected it to be closer to 900.

Just now, LeechFilcher said:

How does that happen, they must have real issues with the thing then. I have a good cooling system, they shouldn't overheat. Going with 3 Intakes and 1 Outtake. I could maybe put them on a higher voltage? Currently set them to 5 V maybe If I ramp them up to 7V would that change speed?

Just because you have good airflow...doesn't mean the drive will not overheat.

Samsung has included a feature called "Dynamic Thermal Throttling Protection" 

As the name implies....it will thermal throttle the drive so the longevity of the drive isn't affected.

17 minutes ago, LeechFilcher said:

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask you something. I just recently got a 950 Pro m.2 drive from samsung with a capacity of 256 GB.

I was a bit confused at the start because it only had a read of 827 mb/s where everywhere in the internet was getting about 2,2 gb/s

my Motherboard is a ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO

My CPU is a Intel Core i7 4790k

MY GPU is a GTX 970

Hopefully you can help me with this one. Prob. sound a bit nooby how I write this but I have some trouble now (need to install 2 new Windows on a Server) and don't really have time to deal with my ssd right now. Thats why I'm asking you guys for help. Maybe anyone of you has an Idea. Running the SSD on GEN 2 Speed, M.2. Just saying :P 

Its because the M.2 on the Z97 boards is only 2x PCIE, only the AsRock Extreme6 Z97 has full speed M.2

You can overcome this using an M.2 PCIE adapter:

http://www.ebuyer.com/709004-startech-m-2-to-sata-ssd-adapter-expansion-slot-mounted-s32m2ngffpex?gclid=Cj0KEQiAu9q2BRDq3MDbvOL1yaYBEiQAD6qoBsRvZlEXoEzP5bqSdslpKHh6EMTwZxKTfYzps_U2cNgaAjAx8P8HAQ#fo_c=951&fo_k=30515027dd3993e9eaa3b63fef95d827&fo_s=gplauk?mkwid=sG7krog2x_dc&pcrid=51482419499&pkw=&pmt=

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, Sakkura said:

I believe the M.2 slot on that motherboard runs off a PCIe 2.0 x2 connection, which has a theoretical maximum throughput of 1 GB/s. Capping out at 800-odd MB/s isn't too strange, though I'd have expected it to be closer to 900.

ok thanks, still a bit slow but wanted to upgrade my rig in a couple month anyways. Thanks to all the replys. I'm gunna tell you if that solved the problems (I thought I would get speed more around 900-950 Mb/S thats why I asked :P

Actually, the M.2 slot on the Asus RoG boards is 2.0 x2 based, giving about 10gbit/s, due to encoding and overheads, you're limited to roughly 1GB/s. Real world speeds will be between 875-950MB/s.

Same as how sata3 is 6gbits, which technically can provide 750MB/s, is limited by 10/12b encoding on the sata bus, and gives a maximum of 600MB, real world soeeds topping about 550-570MB/s 

1 minute ago, ValkyrieStar said:

Actually, the M.2 slot on the Asus RoG boards is 2.0 x2 based, giving about 10gbit/s, due to encoding and overheads, you're limited to roughly 1GB/s. Real world speeds will be between 875-950MB/s.

Same as how sata3 is 6gbits, which technically can provide 750MB/s, is limited by 10/12b encoding on the sata bus, and gives a maximum of 600MB, real world soeeds topping about 550-570MB/s 

Also note there are some Z97/X99 boards that are 2.0 x4, those provide about 20gbits, with a max of around 1.8GB/s in real world situations.

2 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

OKI thanks ;)

ok I went with the simplest sulution: buying a pci-e card to have the full speed and there you go finally some speeeed (altho its basicly not loading faster because most aplications aren't optimized for that amount of speed :P) Some benchmarks are here ;). I know speeds aren't prefect yet but they sre good enouth for me now :P.

Capture.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Those specs are still low. I get 950 / 2238 using a Lycom adapter, and you might need to set the PCIe lanes to Gen3 in the BIOS.

i7 5820 x2 - Asus X99-A / Gigabyte Gaming 5 - 16GB 2400 / 8GB 2666 - M.2 950 PRO 512+256 - OCZ V2 55GB - 840 EVO 250GB - EVGA 960 4GB - SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64GB 245MB/s

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip :) I'll try it right now 

On 4.4.2016 at 2:21 PM, mark fuckerberg said:

Those specs are still low. I get 950 / 2238 using a Lycom adapter, and you might need to set the PCIe lanes to Gen3 in the BIOS.

Ok now speeds are pretty mutch normal, I forgot to set those values after resetting my computer UEFI the last time attached is a little picture with the results :). Big thanks to mark fuckerberg and everyone else that helped me, anyways I'm gunna keep this open if anyone has questions related to my post :)

Capture.PNG

5 hours ago, LeechFilcher said:

Ok now speeds are pretty mutch normal, I forgot to set those values after resetting my computer UEFI the last time attached is a little picture with the results :). Big thanks to mark fuckerberg and everyone else that helped me, anyways I'm gunna keep this open if anyone has questions related to my post :)

Capture.PNG

You're right where you need to be.  

Contrary to what was stated earlier in the thread, you won't see much throttling out of the 950 Pro unless you are doing long sustained transfers.  A simple benchmark won't cause it unless you are completely starving the 950 Pro of any air.

12 hours ago, ghgmc said:

Wow, read too much about this question. But I would like to share you my way to speed up my SSD and I hope this could be helpful. My SSD was slow and I really doubt who said SSD is better than HDD? While, after I realized it could be the problem that the SSD may not in the best status, I found a software AOMEI Partition Assistant, a free alternative to Samsung Magician that can help you make partition alignment to optimize SSD, which can solve your problem easier.

The Problem here tho was the setup of the Bios, exactly speaking how the PCI-E extension was handled, this was NOT a software problem, I'm just handling my partitions over Samsung magician because I only use SSDs from Samsung on my Machine. I work in a Music Production enviorement (not a professional) where the silence of the PC is a absulute must. Thats why I was going for a full SSD build. For the ones Asking themselfs why the fuck my setup it so overkill I also game on it I just love how quiet it is lolz :D. All other data is Handled by a NAS connected over a 10 Gigabit Speed LAN adapter in my computer :). Hopefully you understand that Samsung magican is the best way to go for me then. ^^ (btw sorry for some typos but I was just having a fast look on here while working >.<)