Mineral Oil Submerged Raspberry Pi 2B Web server

Hi guys,

I have a project that I would appreciate some feedback on.

I plan on constructing a web server for a personal portfolio with a raspberry pi 2B. I am a college kid so i expect nothing more than a couple of hits per day (this is more for recreation than functionality). My website isn't too intense and is rather minimalist 

Out of curiosity I am going to try to submerge the pi in mineral oil in a mason jar. To limit the number of wires requires, I was thinking of using POE, power over ethernet, to both power the headless webserver as well as give it good and flexible access to the world wide webz.

My questions:

Would any sort of circulation be required? The mineral oil is more for the purpose of aesthetics than heat regulation, as i can't imagine it would undergo intense workload. I would rather not have circulation if it is not necessary. I plan on making the mason jar airtight and minimalist and the wires superglued from the tin lid.

Would POE, power over ethernet, cause any potential issues I should be aware of?

What would be the capacity of the web server without any circulation?

How might I update the files on web server without opening up the jar?

If the only cord going into the mason jar is a powered Ethernet cable using POE, are there any concerns with mineral oil?

Should the hardware holdup beyond the use of a year?

Is there a specific type of mineral oil or recommended brand?

What precautions should I make to prevent overheating in the (unlikely) case of massive user spikes?

Many thanks,

Grantham Taylor

I don't believe that the raspberry pi supports POE without some sort of adapter board.

Use an FTP server on the Pi to transfer web files.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

7 minutes ago, JJHW149 said:

I don't believe that the raspberry pi supports POE without some sort of adapter board.

Perfect thank you. Good point. I could always have a POE injector outside of the jar and a POE splitter inside so that there is still only one wire running through the tin lid.