what i learned today

spellmanuk

dont do delicate soldering while emotional :P 

have a few personal problems thought id take my mind off by working on a project i have going, i was being a bit lax with my soldering and bridged two pins and fried the pcb  GG 10/10 m8 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

dont do delicate soldering while emotional :P 

have a few personal problems thought id take my mind off by working on a project i have going, i was being a bit lax with my soldering and bridged two pins and fried the pcb  GG 10/10 m8 

What were you soldering?

at least you didn't burn yourself. my middle finger has half the feeling than the one on my other hand

Just now, Aytex said:

What were you soldering?

restoring a turbografx16 that i got faulty on ebay bridging broken traces

I lurk a lot

I've fried a PCB before, soldering power connectors for my quad, was rather tired mixed up the polarities... Luckily I tested it on the kitchen floor. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

1 minute ago, asiancorruption said:

at least you didn't burn yourself. my middle finger has half the feeling than the one on my other hand

ive burned my finger before but not that bad :( 

I lurk a lot

4 minutes ago, werto165 said:

I've fried a PCB before, soldering power connectors for my quad, was rather tired mixed up the polarities... Luckily I tested it on the kitchen floor. 

yeah im pretty lucky i didnt kill my TV :P 

I lurk a lot

7 minutes ago, peej said:

ive burned my finger before but not that bad :( 

the burn wasnt bad, but i guess i burned off some nerve endings. 

Oh man, It's been like 20 years since I did soldering at college... used to love it, working with PCBs and building something cool (for the time anyway, lol) - we quickly learned to double check the joins to make sure we didn't do what you did.. but we all did it at least once or twice rushing to finish a project. RIP turbografx16 :$

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, asiancorruption said:

the burn wasnt bad, but i guess i burned off some nerve endings. 

damn :/ you've got me paranoid now :P 

I lurk a lot

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Oh man, It's been like 20 years since I did soldering at college... used to love it, working with PCBs and building something cool (for the time anyway, lol) - we quickly learned to double check the joins to make sure we didn't do what you did.. but we all did it at least once or twice rushing to finish a project. RIP turbografx16 :$

yeah man never been properly trained how to do anything just sort of made it up as i go a long and luckily for me it was only £5 coz im pretty sure the ebay seller was just an old lady that wanted the junk out the house :P 

I lurk a lot

Yeah, I wouldn't call it properly trained as such, apart from the first couple days or so just learning to solder joints on duff boards and components they had laying around anyway and then checking to make sure you're not using too much or too little solder on them really... after that it's pretty much your mess and you clean it up situation.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, I wouldn't call it properly trained as such, apart from the first couple days or so just learning to solder joints on duff boards and components they had laying around anyway and then checking to make sure you're not using too much or too little solder on them really... after that it's pretty much your mess and you clean it up situation.

still sounds cool lol 

I lurk a lot

lol, yeah it was a learning experience... but to be honest I haven't used it much since then. I keep thinking about maybe getting back into fixing things and stuff, but I prefer tinkering with building PCs when I get the chance, I know there's not really that much to building them as such and have been doing it since it was less "easy" too, but just need people to pay me to do it now and then i'll be fine :)

I may have to get myself a new soldering iron as I think that 20 year old POS has had it by now... then I might try working on some old parts I have lying around.

Just out of curiousity, were you going the whole fix and sell route, or just fixing for yourself?

Oh, and did you completely fry the PCB, or did you just maybe blow a few capacitors etc?

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

19 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

lol, yeah it was a learning experience... but to be honest I haven't used it much since then. I keep thinking about maybe getting back into fixing things and stuff, but I prefer tinkering with building PCs when I get the chance, I know there's not really that much to building them as such and have been doing it since it was less "easy" too, but just need people to pay me to do it now and then i'll be fine :)

I may have to get myself a new soldering iron as I think that 20 year old POS has had it by now... then I might try working on some old parts I have lying around.

Just out of curiousity, were you going the whole fix and sell route, or just fixing for yourself?

Oh, and did you completely fry the PCB, or did you just maybe blow a few capacitors etc?

i just pick up faulty consoles of ebay anything from a gambeoy advance to a atari 7500 7800 to a ps3 just do it as a hobby then either sell them again on ebay as refurbished or keep them depending on what it is (i like to hoard gameboys :P) as for the turbographx not really sure this is only the second one i've ever worked on gunna leave it till the morning now dont wanna wake the girlfriend up :P she'll be lass than amused im pissing about with a soldering iron at midnight :P fingers corssed its just a case of swapping out a few capacitors 

I lurk a lot

That's cool, don't wanna poke the bear hey? Hopefully it will just be one or two components and won't cost much to remedy, even if it's dead it still might make the money back on ebay from someone else that needs a few components of it.. and if not then at least it was cheap and a worthwhile learning experience. Good luck with it :)

Let us know how you get on with it please.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Three things:

Good quality flux - I used electrolube flux

Good quality solder - I used .7mm multicore solder, which can actually be loaded into a mechanical pencil

Good quality desoldering braid -  I forget the brand but it was the one Dave Jones recommended

I have repaired a receiver with a blown output amp which used .5mm pin pitch ICs and I got it working with no prior surface mount experience. Getting the original one off was fun -_-

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Three things:

Good quality flux - I used electrolube flux

Good quality solder - I used .7mm multicore solder, which can actually be loaded into a mechanical pencil

Good quality desoldering braid -  I forget the brand but it was the one Dave Jones recommended

I have repaired a receiver with a blown output amp which used .5mm pin pitch ICs and I got it working with no prior surface mount experience. Getting the original one off was fun -_-

yeah i have desoldering wick and flux and as for solder i just use the stuff of amazon it seems to be reasonable and lead free so no complaints from me 

I lurk a lot

Just now, peej said:

yeah i have desoldering wick and flux and as for solder i just use the stuff of amazon it seems to be reasonable and lead free so no complaints from me 

Lead free? GROSS. I know everyone has their favorites but I cant stand lead free solder.

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Lead free? GROSS. I know everyone has their favorites but I cant stand lead free solder.

i just don't want get lead poisoning that's all :P

I lurk a lot

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

But its so tasty :P

but my brain :P

I lurk a lot

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I am living proof that you dont need em!

ill leave that theory untested:P

I lurk a lot