How to make Kraken x61 quieter

Hello all!  Today I am writing this thread about the noise that my Kraken x61 is making on 100% fan speed. Needless to say, it's REALLY LOUD.  I live in an all tile house about 3500 SQ FT and the noise can be heard about 25 feet away. If I change the fans on the kraken to something different like Noctua/Corsair will the cooling performance be the same? How much quieter will it actually be? Is the noise reduction worth the money?

Feel free to recommend fans to use.   If there will be any issues with the CAM drivers please let me know.

Thanks!

-Dr_Pleeper 

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

Hello all!  Today I am writing this thread about the noise that my Kraken x61 is making on 100% fan speed. Needless to say, it's REALLY LOUD.  I live in an all tile house about 3500 SQ FT and the noise can be heard about 25 feet away. If I change the fans on the kraken to something different like Noctua/Corsair will the cooling performance be the same? How much quieter will it actually be? Is the noise reduction worth the money?

Feel free to recommend fans to use.   If there will be any issues with the CAM drivers please let me know.

Thanks!

-Dr_Pleeper 

Is there a particular reason they are operating at 100% speed?

Just now, Stylized_Violence said:

Is there a particular reason they are operating at 100% speed?

Stress testing for overclocks. I keep it running at 45% on daily use, but even then I can hear the fans over my headphones.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

Adjust the fan curve if you can. If not, try getting quieter fans to put on it.

You can get a noise dampening case, or make your own using adhesive foam. 

Just now, Dr_Pleeper said:

Stress testing for overclocks. I keep it running at 45% on daily use, but even then I can hear the fans over my headphones.

Ah, I see. I got the same cooler so was curious. The Noctua's are supposed to be pretty superior in noise and performance, but I feel like anything operating a 100% would be fairly noticeable. The CAM software should be okay with any fan you put in there, provided they are PWM.

You should be able to go into the CAM software and set the fans to a silent temp graph setting. I have the X61 so I know how bad this must suck to have the fans on max. Looks at the temps on the CPU, if they are abnormally high, you might have a thermal paste issue. Just to make sure.. you have the fans plugged into the leads from the NZXT usb 2.0 lead connected right??? I never run into this issue btw and I'm on the latest version of the software... Lastly if you have got it fixed by now, I highly recommend to upgrade the fans to the Fractal Designs HP 140mm Venturi. They make half the noise at max than the stock NZXT fans and are completely silent at min RPM. So quiet i now have the temp to fan speed graph in the performance setting because I just can't hear them.

7 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Adjust the fan curve if you can. If not, try getting quieter fans to put on it.

You can get a noise dampening case, or make your own using adhesive foam. 

I'm on a fractal define R5 with the noise dampening foam and the fan noise is still really noticeable 

5 minutes ago, The_KIASER said:

You should be able to go into the CAM software and set the fans to a silent temp graph setting. I have the X61 so I know how bad this must suck to have the fans on max. Looks at the temps on the CPU, if they are abnormally high, you might have a thermal paste issue. Just to make sure.. you have the fans plugged into the leads from the NZXT usb 2.0 lead connected right??? I never run into this issue btw and I'm on the latest version of the software... Lastly if you have got it fixed by now, I highly recommend to upgrade the fans to the Fractal Designs HP 140mm Venturi. They make half the noise at max than the stock NZXT fans and are completely silent at min RPM. So quiet i now have the temp to fan speed graph in the performance setting because I just can't hear them.

No, actually i have each fan from the kraken plugged into a separate fan header slot on the motherboard and the pump is plugged into the CPU fan slot.

try the NZXT plugs and use the CAM software. I have used both my MoBo fan controller software, Speed Fan, and CAM. I prefer CAM honestly, plus i like their in game fps and temp/load monitoring overlay. But seriously the Fractal fans are worth every penny, if i had known just how quiet and that they are just as effective as the stock fans, i would of ordered them day one. I hope to see just how quiet the airflow series is in the future

Is it a grinding whirring sound? if so it's not the fans, it's the pump and it's a known issue with Kraken X51's. I have the same issue right now. Contacted NZXT and they told me to remove the cooler and lay it on it's side for a while then put it back in I haven't had the time to mess round with it but yeah it's pretty loud under load.