Water Pump/Cooling Fan Header Help

Hey guys,

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard along with a 2x Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler to cool the CPU and GPU (via a Corsair HG10 N980).  My motherboard only has 2 4 pin PWM fan headers (1 for CPU and 1 for SYS FAN) so I was looking for advice on what configuration I should use to hook up the fans/water coolers.

I have:

2 3 pin fan inputs for the 2 corsair H75s

1 4 pin PWM push fan for the CPU H75 Radiator

2 4 pin PWM push/pull fans for the GPU H75 Radiator

1 4 pin PWM Noctua fan blowing on the GPU/ HG10 N980 blower

I bought a SilverStone Tek 1-to-8 PWM Fan Hub (CPF04) which will get here in a few days and have a bunch of Y-splitters at my disposal as well.

How do you guys think I should hook up all the fans? Should I connect the 2 3 pin water pump plugs (via a Y-splitter) to CPU fan header and then the rest of the fans onto the SilverStone Tek hub (which connects to the SYS fan header).

Another thought I had is maybe I can connect the 2 3 pin water pump plugs via Molex (since PWM functionality is not necessary) and then connect the 4 pin PWM push fan for the CPU radiator to the CPU fan header on the mobo and then the rest of the fans via the Silverstone Tek hub (via SYS fan header again).  

Of course, I don't want to just connect everything via the molex cables, because everything would just be running at full power/speed (high noise) without any variance. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

Rafamundez

PS. I apologize if I was super redundant, I just wanted to be as thorough as possible 

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

interesting..

your CPU H75 to the SS fan hub (will not regulat voltage)

your CPU H75 fan to the SS fan hub connected to CPU fan header on mobo

your GPU H75 fans and the direct Noctua can be controlled via the GPU by using:

Gelid PWM splitter:

IMG_0994_600_400.gif and

Mini_4-Pin_GPU_Female_to_Mini_4-Pin_GPU_

and case fans onto the SYS_FAN header to mobo you don't want to control the 120mm fans off the GPU header.

or another SS hub and have the GPU fans controlled by the CPU temp(?).

Thanks for the help!

Ok so I'm a little confused so let me just repeat some of this to make sure I am doing this right:)

CPU

I connect the SilverstoneTek (SS) hub to the CPU fan header on my motherboard. Then I connect the CPU H75 water pump and the CPU H75 fan to the SS hub.

GPU

I use the 4-way Gelid PWM splitter (1st picture) to connect the 2 GPU H75 fans and the Noctua Fan to the SYS_FAN header on my mobo. What about the GPU H75 water pump?

Or are you saying that I should get 2 Gelid PWM splitters. 1 2-way PWM splitter (second picture) connected to the SYS_FAN header.  Then use 1 of the 2 headers on the splitter for the GPU H75 water pump and the other header for the 4-way Gelid PWM splitter?

Thanks again!

14 minutes ago, rafamundez said:

Thanks for the help!

Ok so I'm a little confused so let me just repeat some of this to make sure I am doing this right:)

1. CPU: I connect the SilverstoneTek (SS) hub to the CPU fan header on my motherboard. Then I connect the CPU H75 water pump and the CPU H75 fan to the SS hub.
  2. GPU: I use the 4-way Gelid PWM splitter (1st picture) to connect the 2 GPU H75 fans and the Noctua Fan to the SYS_FAN header on my mobo. What about the GPU H75 water pump?
  3. Or are you saying that I should get 2 Gelid PWM splitters. 1 2-way PWM splitter (second picture) connected to the SYS_FAN header.  Then use 1 of the 2 headers on the splitter for the GPU H75 water pump and the other header for the 4-way Gelid PWM splitter?

Thanks again!

1. yes. since the H75 pumps are 3-pin, they will run 100% regardless of fan control (PWM)
  2. you'll use the gelid and the other to control the GPU fans via the GPU software (don't need to control via CPU). both H75 pumps are already connected above. the other harness connects to the GPU PCB, then to the gelid, gelid connects to three fans and PSU for power. adjust fan speed as per your GPU software (afterburner, GPU tweak, whatnot).
  3. sys_fan is for case fans

1 hour ago, airdeano said:

you'll use the gelid and the other to control the GPU fans via the GPU software (don't need to control via CPU). both H75 pumps are already connected above. the other harness connects to the GPU PCB, then to the gelid, gelid connects to three fans and PSU for power. adjust fan speed as per your GPU software (afterburner, GPU tweak, whatnot).

Oh I understand now! Do you know the part number/model name of the GPU PCB fan splitter? Thanks!!

Thanks!!

So do I need to get 1 Mini 4-Pin GPU (Female) to Mini 4-Pin GPU (Male) / 4-Pin Fan (Male) Cable Splitter (link you provided) and then a Mini 4-Pin GPU to 2 x 4-Pin PWM Fan Adapter (for the 2 GPU H75 radiator fans)? 

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Mini-4%252dPin-GPU-to-2-x-4%252dPin-PWM-Fan-Adapter.html

What do you think?  Would powering the onboard GPU fan + 2 GPU H75 radiator fans be too much? (the GPU I have is a Titan X) Or would that be OK?

Thanks again!