New PC - Hardware

Hello guys,

I wanted to share with you guys the new PC hardware that im thinking of buying and wanted to share the specs with you all and see if all i selected matches together :P

here it goes...

Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell 3.5Ghz 8MB L3 Cache s1150 - Box 1 26118 CPU Cooler

Corsair Hydro H100i Extreme Performance CPU Cooler 1

Motherboards for Intel ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA1150, Intel Z87, DDR3 1866, 3xPCI-E, HDMI, DP 1

Memory Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600MHZ Dual Channel CL10-10-10-27 2

VGA Cards Asus GTX760 2GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E 1

Solid-State Drives (SSD) Corsair Force LS CSSD-F240GBLS-BK 240GB SSD Sata III MLC Retail 1

Power Supply Antec High Current Pro PLATINUM 1000W Active PFC 13.5cm PSU HCP-1000 1

Case Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Graphite Special Edition White Mid-Tower Case (No PSU)

The only thing im worried about here is the CPU cooler H100i cause it comes with dual 120mm fan i think, was wondering if it will fit in this case the Corsair 600T which i love btw.. if it wont then i guess ill have to go with the H80i CPU cooler which is single fan not dual.

Other than that what do u guys think of the specs that i have selected so far? this is going to be my new PC after 7 years of waiting :)

What's the system for?

Get CL9 ram instead.

Corsair ssds aren't that good--there are better and cheaper alternatives.

PSU is way overkill. A decent 500w is plenty. 650w would do if you wanted to sli.

The h100i fits in the 600T.

The system is quite expensive and the performance doesn't match up with the price.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

you could get 8gb instead of 16 if you are just gameing. The 600t has a place for the h100 in the top. Looks good

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

the system will be for gaming mostly, also whats wrong with the ram that i have chosen? and why not get the 16gb and in the future i can add another 16gb if i ever feel the need.. but getting 8gb now days on this board seems to be not right....

Also the PSU i rather have the best one in this case, i dont want to cheap out on the PSU, i might in the future do SLI or even triple SLI so why not be ready.. and i have been using Corsair SSD and i'm really happy with it. never caused me any issues and this Corsair SSD is one of the fastest SSD's out to date.

I say 16 gigs of ram. 8 is "standard". and who likes being standard. haha. latency isn't really an issue, neither is speed. honestly you will never tell the difference.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

The platinum power supply is a bit overkill, a smaller wattage gold would be a better buy. But I dont know how expensive electricity is where you live or if you plan to triple/quad SLI in the future.

the system will be for gaming mostly, also whats wrong with the ram that i have chosen? and why not get the 16gb and in the future i can add another 16gb if i ever feel the need.. but getting 8gb now days on this board seems to be not right....

Also the PSU i rather have the best one in this case, i dont want to cheap out on the PSU, i might in the future do SLI or even triple SLI so why not be ready.. and i have been using Corsair SSD and i'm really happy with it. never caused me any issues and this Corsair SSD is one of the fastest SSD's out to date.

16GB is plenty for even some moderate editing. Having 8GB is plenty for gaming and it'd be a waste to get more. More ram that you don't use is just useless. Having 8GB allows you to upgrade to 16GB i you ever need it. 32GB is overkill in most cases especially since you're just gaming. You're better off putting your money elsewhere. 

You don't need a 1000w to not cheap out on a psu not to mention triple 760 sli doesn't scale well and that 750-800w would already be plenty for triple sli. The ssd you chose is far from the fastest ssd--the normal samsung 840 outperforms it. http://ssdboss.com/ssds/Samsung-840-vs-Corsair-Corsair-Force-LS

Also, the i5 will perform pretty much just as well as the i7 for gaming. For a gaming build, you're focusing the funds in the wrong places. You could have a better performing system for the same price or a similar performing rig for much less.

Where are you shopping?

Fyi, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Wait for 9 series or go a 7950'

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

The platinum power supply is a bit overkill, a smaller wattage gold would be a better buy. But I dont know how expensive electricity is where you live or if you plan to triple/quad SLI in the future.

Can you tell me why the Platinum is overkill? i mean whats the difference between the gold and the patiunum, i simply thought i'd just as well go for platinum if im spending so much money already on this rig, and also how much do you guys think this will effect my monthly electricity bill the 1000W, i currently have 750W running on my old rig for about 6 years now..

16GB is plenty for even some moderate editing. Having 8GB is plenty for gaming and it'd be a waste to get more. More ram that you don't use is just useless. Having 8GB allows you to upgrade to 16GB i you ever need it. 32GB is overkill in most cases especially since you're just gaming. You're better off putting your money elsewhere. 

You don't need a 1000w to not cheap out on a psu not to mention triple 760 sli doesn't scale well and that 750-800w would already be plenty for triple sli. The ssd you chose is far from the fastest ssd--the normal samsung 840 outperforms it. http://ssdboss.com/ssds/Samsung-840-vs-Corsair-Corsair-Force-LS

Also, the i5 will perform pretty much just as well as the i7 for gaming. For a gaming build, you're focusing the funds in the wrong places. You could have a better performing system for the same price or a similar performing rig for much less.

Where are you shopping?

Fyi, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

I dont like samsung hardware tell you the truth and im pretty okay with the Corsair one.

560 MB/s sequential read — 535 MB/s sequential write thats fast enough for me.

Also  the i7 CPU 4770k i think that should be fast enough and it's not that expensive comparing to my old CPU which i bought 6 years ago Quad core extrene 2.7ghz which alone cost me $1400 USD and also im looking for overcloacking it in the future.. and also i dont wanna cheap out specially when it comes to PSU,Mobo and CPU.

I also forgot to mention that i do video editing and photoshop too..

so i did the math to all that components and i got up to $1750 total, thats because i already have the SSD and the GPU 760, which im running on my old rig now.

so $1750 is really too much for that kind of rig?

Can you tell me why the Platinum is overkill? i mean whats the difference between the gold and the patiunum, i simply thought i'd just as well go for platinum if im spending so much money already on this rig, and also how much do you guys think this will effect my monthly electricity bill the 1000W, i currently have 750W running on my old rig for about 6 years now..

The amount of money you might save from bronze to platinum isn't even a fraction of the initial cost difference for the psus.

You don't need to spend so much money. No offense, but you're just doing it wrong--it doesn't have to cost so much.

I dont like samsung hardware tell you the truth and im pretty okay with the Corsair one.

560 MB/s sequential read — 535 MB/s sequential write thats fast enough for me.

Also  the i7 CPU 4770k i think that should be fast enough and also im looking for overcloacking it in the future.. and also i dont wanna cheap out specially when it comes to PSU,Mobo and CPU.

I also forgot to mention that i do video editing and photoshop too...

Corsair ssds are a bit notorious for being pricey and not having the performance to back it up. There's a reason why the highest rated ssd is the Samsung 840 Pro.

Sequential speeds don't really matter unless you transfer large files back and forth all day. What makes a ssd feel fast is the random read speed and the memory controller.

Simply paying more is not a good solution to not cheaping out. The i7 will make very little difference over the i5 for gaming. 

How heavy is the work you are doing? Scale of projects?

so i did the math to all that components and i got up to $1750 total, thats because i already have the SSD and the GPU 760, which im running on my old rig now.

so $1750 is really too much for that kind of rig?

You could get a much better rig for $1750...or a cheaper build with similar performance.

The amount of money you might save from bronze to platinum isn't even a fraction of the initial cost difference for the psus.

You don't need to spend so much money. No offense, but you're just doing it wrong--it doesn't have to cost so much.

Corsair ssds are a bit notorious for being pricey and not having the performance to back it up. There's a reason why the highest rated ssd is the Samsung 840 Pro.

Sequential speeds don't really matter unless you transfer large files back and forth all day. What makes a ssd feel fast is the random read speed and the memory controller.

Simply paying more is not a good solution to not cheaping out. The i7 will make very little difference over the i5 for gaming. 

How heavy is the work you are doing? Scale of projects?

Well i work with large PSD files over 300mb each file, and movie files i use photoshop premiere and that's pretty heavy..

Okay how about this take off the SSD and GPU from the calculation cause i already have them,and tell me which components do u think will give me the same performance and that will cost me much less. If it's about $100 worth of saving then i rather get whe i7 and the platinum PSU.

can you make a me a small list of the components which you think is best for me and how much money will i save in the end.

I wrote you up that it will cost me total of $1750 USD, so how much do u really think i can save here

also make note that i really love this ASUS sabertooth Z87 motherboard and its not the most expensive one for sure, i love this board cause its got this armor on it which will protect the board from dust and what not and it looks pretty cool i must say.

thanks for your promt replies btw, much appreciated.

You could get a much better rig for $1750...or a cheaper build with similar performance.

Im okay with spending $1750 on a rig so what do u think i can get better hardware here for the $1750 money's worth than what i already wrote above?

Well i work with large PSD files over 300mb each file, and movie files i use photoshop premiere and that's pretty heavy..

Okay how about this take off the SSD and GPU from the calculation cause i already have them,and tell me which components do u think will give me the same performance and that will cost me much less. If it's about $100 worth of saving then i rather get whe i7 and the platinum PSU.

can you make a me a small list of the components which you think is best for me and how much money will i save in the end.

I wrote you up that it will cost me total of $1750 USD, so how much do u really think i can save here

also make note that i really love this ASUS sabertooth Z87 motherboard and its not the most expensive one for sure, i love this board cause its got this armor on it which will protect the board from dust and what not and it looks pretty cool i must say.

A platinum psu is just a waste of money in 99% of cases.

I'm thinking you can get the build down to $1300.

The sabertooth is not better than any other z87 mobo in performance. You're paying ~$80 more for the piece of plastic. 

I'm not jumping into making a parts list until I get a bit more info. People tend to suggest builds left and right right away without understanding what the system is for.

'Pretty heavy' is really vague. Be more specific. What's the quality of footage you are working with and what kind of content are you producing?

A platinum psu is just a waste of money in 99% of cases.

I'm thinking you can get the build down to $1300.

The sabertooth is not better than any other z87 mobo in performance. You're paying ~$80 more for the piece of plastic. 

I'm not jumping into making a parts list until I get a bit more info. People tend to suggest builds left and right right away without understanding what the system is for.

'Pretty heavy' is really vague. Be more specific. What's the quality of footage you are working with and what kind of content are you producing?

I don't wanna get into details now it doesn't really matter, but can you tell me the difference between the Platinum PSU's and Gold ones?

I don't wanna get into details now it doesn't really matter, but can you tell me the difference between the Platinum PSU's and Gold ones?

A small percentage in efficiency and usually better quality.

--Nothing you'd notice without at the very least 3 Titans.

You're overdoing it on the PSU and Underdoing it on the GPU.

I would wait for the AMD cards to come out and compare them to the 770/780.

I think your build is nice, if you want 16GB of memory, thats fine. If you want a platinum power supply. awesome too (though 1000 watts is alot for a single card). But i still think you should spend a litte more on graphics to compliment all the other very nice parts in your build. I would either suggest a 770 4gb model (everyone will argue to get 2gb buts its 10% difference in price) or wait for the replacement for the 7970.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell 3.5Ghz 8MB L3 Cache s1150 - Box 1 26118 CPU Cooler

This is a nice chip.

Corsair Hydro H100i Extreme Performance CPU Cooler 1

I'd consider the Swiftech H220 if you're going AIO liquid cooling.

Motherboards for Intel ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA1150, Intel Z87, DDR3 1866, 3xPCI-E, HDMI, DP 1

Asus is always a solid choice.

Memory Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600MHZ Dual Channel CL10-10-10-27 2

You can get a 16GB 1866mhz Cas 9 Mushkin Kit for around $140 or so...totally not biased or anything, nope!

VGA Cards Asus GTX760 2GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E 1

Solid choice for a graphics card.

Solid-State Drives (SSD) Corsair Force LS CSSD-F240GBLS-BK 240GB SSD Sata III MLC Retail 1

Get a Samsung or Crucial SSD instead.

Power Supply Antec High Current Pro PLATINUM 1000W Active PFC 13.5cm PSU HCP-1000 1

Honestly, overkill by a mile and a half for this set up. Get a nice 550w-600w PSU instead. Corsair has a new series out that's p nice.

Case Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Graphite Special Edition White Mid-Tower Case (No PSU)

This is a nice case, but it uses the lame USB 3.0 pass through and even with their newer silver edition, Corsair never bothered addressing it.

You could save yourself a little bit of money on your PSU.

Little overkill.

80 PLUS efficiency is nice, but it won't even really take effect if you aren't in the proper load percentage.

I don't think anyone has posted why 1000W is overkill; even Linus has talked about this in SEVERAL of his videos.

With your configuration now, even with overclocking, it might not even break 350W at full 100% load.

Why I say this? My system is running a Phenom II X6 1090T clocked at 4.1GHz and a Radeon HD 7970 @ 1150/1480 MHz. I've also go two SSD's and a HDD, along with LED lighting...and 8 fans in my system. It pulls a max of 371W from the wall socket...which is about 300W - 310W from the power supply. (I've got wall meter pics if you want proof)

Also, power supplies are MOST efficient when the load is in the range of about 40% - 70%. For a 1000W PSU, that's....400W - 700W. Basically, if you fall out of that range, the 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency is basically completely useless.

To be COMPLETELY honest, you are probably better of with a 500W - 650W unit (750W if you consider getting a second GTX 760). Like others have said, with the money saved, "invest" in a higher performing graphics card. Even then, a PSU in the 500W - 650W range is fine.

If you want to stick with 80 PLUS Platinum, here are a few to look into:

- Corsair has a AX / AXi 760W

- Seasonic has a SS-660XP2 660W OR SS-760XP2 760W

-  Antec EathWatts Platinum EA-550 550W OR EA-650 650W

- Fractal Newton R3 600W

As for 80 PLUS Gold, you've got plenty more options...

Even with my system, I'm using a Corsair 850W unit. I might be contradicting my "40% - 70%" load range, BUT, I was running 2 (even 3 back in the day) Radeon HD 5850's at one point, before I got my HD 7970. Plus, I'm considering in getting a second HD 7970 - since the price has dropped significantly for them in the past month.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>