Argh!!! It's impossible for me to make a choice!

AIJ
Just now, ServerSide_Drew said:

Yeah it would... IF he had a high frequencies CPU. GTX Cards tend to out-preform AMD cards when the CPU frequency is lower do to the architecture

Well he doesn't have the cpu yet and hopefully he will listen to us and go with an i5 insted.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

1 minute ago, roctrebira said:

Well he doesn't have the cpu yet and hopefully he will listen to us and go with an i5 insted.

i5s are beyond my budget. The FX-8320E is like 200$ for me including quebec tax and the less expensive i5 is 290$.

########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
#######################

you have been visited by ascii stephen harper the pc builder

nothing bad will happen to you unless if you post "ignfdofsginedsoignoifdn" in this thread

why? because you'll be banned for spam

lol

Just now, AIJ said:

i5s are beyond my budget. The FX-8320E is like 200$ for me including quebec tax and the less expensive i5 is 290$.

Yes but the boards for the i5 will be cheaper as and you wont need to buy an aftermarket cooler which will make it all come out to about the same.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

1 minute ago, AIJ said:

Drop me a private message. I may have a solution for you to the processor issue

My Rig: 2x Xeon x5690 @ 3.45Ghz 24GB DDR3 EEC RAM Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 SuperMicro X8DT3 Windows Server 2008 R2

Here's a little TL;DR of what you need to know about the GTX 970 and R9 390

R9 390 works better in VRAM-bound scenarios and compute bound scenarios and is best paired with higher end processors

GTX 970 works better in CPU-bound scenarios and tessellation bound scenarios and is best paired with lower end processors

1 minute ago, ServerSide_Drew said:

Um NO. The tri fan design works FINE. Its not the best but its NOT a shitty cooler by ANY streach of the imagination

When the STRIX's thermals are close to that of the reference 290X, it's a bad cooler.

There are much better performing solutions because pretty much any other brand will top the STRIX in cooling.  ASUS offers the worst cooling for the R9 390. Gigabyte comes close though.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, AIJ said:

What is your budget for your new system?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Out of those ones you linked OP, the XFX DD Black Edition.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

3 minutes ago, roctrebira said:

Yes but the boards for the i5 will be cheaper as and you wont need to buy an aftermarket cooler which will make it all come out to about the same.

Around 1200-1250CAD excluding tax, but don't go around making me builds on PCPP as I have disabled a lot of stores.

########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
#######################

you have been visited by ascii stephen harper the pc builder

nothing bad will happen to you unless if you post "ignfdofsginedsoignoifdn" in this thread

why? because you'll be banned for spam

lol

MSI or Sapphire or XFX or PowerColor

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Would urge you to go intel. 

But, I am fairly happy with my XFX 390. It's not the best, but it was the cheapest. 

Who the hell are these people saying its okay to buy Asus AMD cards? Please keep your bad advice to yourself. @OP get MSI, Sapphire ir XFX double dissipation.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Who the hell are these people saying its okay to buy Asus AMD cards? Please keep your bad advice to yourself. @OP get MSI, Sapphire ir XFX double dissipation.

Is this still about that one ASUS R9-290X DCUII that had VRM issues? I've seen people repeat the narrative, but never the proof.

Just now, Majestic said:

Is this still about that one ASUS R9-290X DCUII that had VRM issues? I've seen people repeat the narrative, but never the proof.

Is my Asus card with poor VRM cooling proof enough?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Is my Asus card with poor VRM cooling proof enough?

Mehhh... in that case we should also stop recommending MSI cards because my 980 has VRM issues aswell (suspected). I'm not so sure about that now since it blew up on me yesterday. Jury's out.

Sadly proof like this will only be anecdotal, because reviewers hardly take the time to be this critical. 

Just now, Majestic said:

Mehhh... in that case we should also stop recommending MSI cards because my 980 has VRM issues aswell. 

Sadly proof like this will only be anecdotal, because reviewers hardly take the time to be this critical. 

IIRC the 290X DC2 showed high VRM temps in almost all reviews as well as 94*C core temps

Just now, don_svetlio said:

IIRC the 290X DC2 showed high VRM temps in almost all reviews as well as 94*C core temps

Yes as I said, I knew about the R9-290X DC2 having severe VRM issues. Also had reports of this pop up on different forums. But does it still apply to the newer models.

Let me check if ASUS changed anything on the design. In both the chokes/MOSFETS/CAPS used or added passive cooling.

Just now, Majestic said:

Yes as I said, I knew about the R9-290X DC2 having severe VRM issues. Also had reports of this pop up on different forums. But does it still apply to the newer models.

Let me check if ASUS changed anything on the design. In both the chokes/MOSFETS/CAPS used or added passive cooling.

DC3 is just as bad
99h.jpg

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

No its about the strix 390 having shitty cooling. And yes, the 290 (x) also had garbage coolers that were taken from Nvidia cards and put on amd cards.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

It's even worse if you flip the heatsink around. They attached the VRM cooling to the heatsink. Which on a stove like the 390X isn't a great idea.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r9_390x_gaming_8g_review,5.html top image.

Yeah, seems like it's pretty lacklustre. Also Hynix. Also the worst aftersales in the business. Ok, i'm convinced.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

It's even worse if you flip the heatsink around. They attached the VRM cooling to the heatsink. Which on a stove like the 390X isn't a great idea.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r9_390x_gaming_8g_review,5.html top image.

Yeah, seems like it's pretty lacklustre. Also Hynix. 

Hynix is fine - been using them for the most part - no issues