Microsoft sides with Apple (so against the FBI request for a backdoor)

GoodBytes

IMO there's a bigger issue to this who debacle. If Apple relent and give the government the key then the government have the key. They can literally use it over and over and anybody with an IPhone may as well leave it unlocked on the table for the government to browse through.

I get the impression they've realised Apples security is to strong for them so they're using this whole situation to get themselves a master key.

I'm not against Apple unlocking the phone, I am strongly against them handing the us government a master key to all Apple devices.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

This stuff is just getting ridiculous.Now Apple admittedly has the power to access information on your phone against your will

Apple currently has no way to access data on a locked iPhone. The FBI want a custom OS made that bypasses the timeout after incorrect tries and to turn off the wipe feature that wipes everything on the phone after 10 failed tries. Apple can currently make this if they wanted but even that custom OS doesn't decrypt the data. The correct password is still neede to access the data on the phone. 

4 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:
Is that really how iPhones work? I honestly have no idea.  It seems like this is ultra strict, couldn't someone basically reformat someone else's phone just by guessing the pin wrong 10 times?

Yes but then all they have is a very expensive brick as now all the data has been erased and I believe the phone is still locked. It's off by default so kids don't wipe their parents phone :)

I think the only way to factory reset a locked iPhone is hooking it up to a trusted computer and using iTunes. Even then you are still wiping all the data so it's pointless for people after your information. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 hour ago, minimoose said:

I just want to throw this out there... 

I keep seeing people say that if you're a terrorist who has killed people and committed crimes you don't have any constitutional rights. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. All US citizens have certain rights such the right to an attorney and the right to a speedy trial. That isn't really applicable here, but it's still important. So even aside from the iPhone,  these people still have rights

Yeah, I agree. I'm sick and tired of the ideological scare-mongering that surrounds foreign terrorism. The notion that we need Big-Brother-esque government powers to pursue and prosecute these people completely fails to recognize a realistic scope of the threat and the efficacy of this means of containing it.

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Apparently Bill Gates has sided with the FBI, as well as Mark Zuckerberg. (Obviously, Gates is not as high standing in MS as he used to be, but it's still interesting).

Seems like Apple isn't backing down, though, They're reportedly prepared to use the First and Fifth Amendments to defend their position. 

Mark didn't actually side with the FBI, they took one sentence out of everything that he said and used that as his position. 

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg publicly voiced support for Apple rejecting the idea that technology companies should create “backdoors” for intelligence agencies and law enforcement.
“We’re sympathetic with Apple. We believe in encryption; we think that that’s an important tool,” Zuckerberg said on stage at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
“I don’t think requiring backdoors with encryption is either going to be an effective way to increase security or is really the right thing to do for just the direction that the world is going to,” Zuckerberg said.
Zuckerberg also spoke of the “pretty big responsibility” Facebook has to “help prevent terrorism and different kinds of attacks.”
“If there is any content that is promoting terrorism or sympathizing with ISIS we’ll take that off the service,” he said in an interview with journalist Jessi Hempel.
“We don’t want people doing that kind of stuff on Facebook. If we have opportunities to basically work with governments and folks to make sure that there aren’t terrorist attacks then we’re going to take those opportunities and we feel a pretty strong responsibility to help make sure that society is safe,” Zuckerberg said.
“We care about that. That’s a big deal. We take that seriously.”

http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/02/23/bill-gates-says-apple-should-help-fbi-break-into-terrorists-iphone.html

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

4 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

Mark didn't actually side with the FBI, they took one sentence out of everything that he said and used that as his position. 

http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/02/23/bill-gates-says-apple-should-help-fbi-break-into-terrorists-iphone.html

Of course they took their quotes out of context. Gotta bring in those clicks, eh?