Is this a good overclocking guide?

DND
2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

In that case you should do as @Kobathor said. Remove fans and change thermal paste.

But be sure to check few guides before doing so. I have never done it before, but you will find tons of guides on web or just open another thread and other members of this forum will help you with it :) 

Yeah might as well do that. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

If you want to get rid of static, plug your PSU into the wall and touch it every once in a while. You could also just touch a metal desk or something grounded. It's really just grounding yourself.

Good thermal pastes for GPU's are:

Noctua NT-H1 (best)

Tuniq TX-4 (Tuniq TX2 is cheaper, but a bit worse)

Arctic Cooling MX-4 (AC MX-2 is cheaper, but a bit worse)

That's 5 choices. They're not ultra-cheap, around $10 a tube in the US, but there's lots in there and they're all very high quality. All non-conductive, and will last for years. Any thermal paste will do realistically, but better stuff will give better temps and last longer.

Source: http://www.maximumpc.com/geek-tested-17-thermal-pastes-face-off/#page-1

The only available Thermal paste in the nearest pc store are Cooler master/ Thermaltake and Zalman is this good?

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

Just now, DND said:

Yeah might as well do that. Thanks

The only available Thermal paste in the nearest pc store are Cooler master/ Thermaltake and Zalman is this good?

Depends which pastes. Cooler Master has a good one. It's the Cooler Master ThermalFusion paste, that would work great.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Depends which pastes. Cooler Master has a good one. It's the Cooler Master ThermalFusion paste, that would work great.

Okay i'll try checking if the CM thermal paste they have is that one. Thanks a lot.

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

1 minute ago, DND said:

Okay i'll try checking if the CM thermal paste they have is that one. Thanks a lot.

You're welcome! The Zalman stuff isn't good in case you were wondering, but I don't think the Thermaltake stuff is horrible.

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

You're welcome! The Zalman stuff isn't good in case you were wondering, but I don't think the Thermaltake stuff is horrible.

Okay bro then the Cooler Master is my only choice hahaha. BTW bro how do i grounding using the PSU? I just plug in the PSU in an outlet then i touch it? Wouldn't i be electrocuted by that?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DND said:

Okay bro then the Cooler Master is my only choice hahaha. BTW bro how do i grounding using the PSU? I just plug in the PSU in an outlet then i touch it? Wouldn't i be electrocuted by that?

You wouldn't be electrocuted by touching the metal housing of the PSU. Linus actually recommends it if you don't have an anti-static wrist strap, since it grounds you and takes all the static off of you. And yes, you just plug it in (that grounds the PSU, which lets the metal ground you) and touch it every few minutes.

Just now, Kobathor said:

You wouldn't be electrocuted by touching the metal housing of the PSU. Linus actually recommends it if you don't have an anti-static wrist strap, since it grounds you and takes all the static off of you. And yes, you just plug it in (that grounds the PSU, which lets the metal ground you) and touch it every few minutes.

Oh i see.BTW i don't have an anti-static mat like linus uses is it alright for me to use that anti-static thingy plastic thing that came from the gpu as something that i can place the gpu on?

Spoiler

Just now, DND said:

Oh i see.BTW i don't have an anti-static mat like linus uses is it alright for me to use that anti-static thingy plastic thing that came from the gpu as something that i can place the gpu on?

The anti-static bag is only anti-static on the inside, and it dissipates (conducts) the electricity on the outside. Don't use it. You can use any cardboard box, or a cloth mouse pad. Paper towels and things like that. Wood tables are fine. Mostly just anything other than carpet or something that would generate static.

overclocking differs from architecture to architecture, but the actual method hasn't changed much. You have your core and memory clocks, and their respective voltage regulators. More often than not, you can increase voltage offset for core or memory to get better clocks. preferred software for Nvidia is MSI afterburner, while the best software for AMD is Sapphire Trixx (especially for handling extreme voltage).

A good example where an architecture differs is AMD 290/390 cards, where the memory voltage is tied to the core voltage, forcing you to increase core voltage to push memory clocks, even if you don't want to overclock the core. Even worse, with 290/390 cards you need to raise both memory and core clocks as you raise core voltage to keep everything stable, with "sweetspot" core-to-memory ratios that should be followed for maximum stability. 

Anywho, the best overclocking guide will be geared toward the card you have, generic guides will only give you generic results.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

11 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

The anti-static bag is only anti-static on the inside, and it dissipates (conducts) the electricity on the outside. Don't use it. You can use any cardboard box, or a cloth mouse pad. Paper towels and things like that. Wood tables are fine. Mostly just anything other than carpet or something that would generate static.

Okay bro maybe i'll just use the box of my motherboard. BTW i could use any kind of PSU right?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DND said:

Okay bro maybe i'll just use the box of my motherboard. BTW i could use any kind of PSU right?

Any kind, just plugged into the wall. Your PC probably won't be next to you if you take it apart somewhere else, so if you have a cheap/old PSU lying around then it'll work.

Yes. He know what he´s doing.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Any kind, just plugged into the wall. Your PC probably won't be next to you if you take it apart somewhere else, so if you have a cheap/old PSU lying around then it'll work.

Okay thanks agian dude. Maybe i'll just use the psu in my old computer.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DND said:

Okay thanks agian dude. Maybe i'll just use the psu in my old computer.

You're welcome. Just be careful. Watch a tutorial online if you want to.

7 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

You're welcome. Just be careful. Watch a tutorial online if you want to.

Yeah i'm gonna watch linus guide on changing the thermal paste.

Spoiler

On 23/02/2016 at 1:53 PM, Kobathor said:

You could get something like an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme III 

Exactly what I've done. Can't stand this reference shit anymore. Hahaha

1 minute ago, RafaelSoaresP said:

Exactly what I've done. Can't stand this reference shit anymore. Hahaha

You did? Cool! I thought I needed it for my 7970, but it turns out that my fans were just bad- replaced them with new OEM ones, and the 60C temps are back. I kinda want to see it after it's put on, those big coolers are.. well, cool.

Just now, Kobathor said:

You did? Cool! I thought I needed it for my 7970, but it turns out that my fans were just bad- replaced them with new OEM ones, and the 60C temps are back. I kinda want to see it after it's put on, those big coolers are.. well, cool.

Yo bro! just wanted you to know i'm tryin to oc right now and i'm getting temps right now with 74C with +130 offset on core clock is that safe temps?

Spoiler