Is this a good overclocking guide?

DND

Hey guys just wanted to ask if Jayz's video about overclocking is good?

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

Sure, GPU overclocking really hasn't changed since that video was made, so it's valid enough. 

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Sure, GPU overclocking really hasn't changed since that video was made, so it's valid enough. 

Oh i see so i just need the latest version of the after burner and the unigine valley for benchmarking? BTW if i'm hitting around 77 degrees celsius under load like playing witcher 3 would it still be practical to overclock?

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

2 minutes ago, DND said:

Oh i see so i just need the latest version of the after burner and the unigine valley for benchmarking? BTW if i'm hitting around 77 degrees celsius under load like playing witcher 3 would it still be practical to overclock?

If you're hitting 77C at stock then you shouldn't push it too much, just keep it under 85C for most cards. 80C is my cut off.

You can set up custom fan curves in accordance with your OC, so you can manage any extra heat you're creating. 

You should really be able to overclock a decent amount without adding much of any heat. It's when you're pushing the card to it's limits that the thermals will rise with each marginal increase in OC. 

1 minute ago, Alexokan said:

You can set up custom fan curves in accordance with your OC, so you can manage any extra heat you're creating. 

You should really be able to overclock a decent amount without adding much of any heat. It's when you're pushing the card to it's limits that the thermals will rise with each marginal increase in OC. 

How do i set-up that?

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

If you're hitting 77C at stock then you shouldn't push it too much, just keep it under 85C for most cards. 80C is my cut off.

Oh i see so more than 80C is pretty high.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DND said:

How do i set-up that?

It's part of the feature set included with afterburner, I don't know the exact directory because I'm at work - but fish around in the settings and you'll find it. 

3 minutes ago, DND said:

How do i set-up that?

Are you getting 77C on your G1 Gaming 970? That's quite hot at stock speeds, the 970 isn't that much of a heater.

10 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Read this kind of thing makes me so sad when my reference R9 290 hits 95C on stock speeds (and throttles down after a while).

3 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

It's part of the feature set included with afterburner, I don't know the exact directory because I'm at work - but fish around in the settings and you'll find it. 

Oh i see thanks. I'll try checking it.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Are you getting 77C on your G1 Gaming 970? That's quite hot at stock speeds, the 970 isn't that much of a heater.

I'm not pretty sure if that 77C is consistent but one day when i was playing NBA2K16 everything was maxed out i notice that the fans of my case was so loud and tried checking heat temps and i saw that that my gpu temps where around at 77C but that was around afternoon time and it was pretty hot here in PH. I was pretty shocked too that i got 77C btw would having a dual monitor set up affect the temps too? because when i was just using my old shitty LG LCD 17" monitor my temps won't even go above 60C everything maxed out but when i got my BenQ RL2455HM it got higher and i'm using my 2nd monitor too for net browsing while gaming.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, RafaelSoaresP said:

Read this kind of thing makes me so sad when my reference R9 290 hits 95C on stock speeds (and throttles down after a while).

Sorry man, 60C here is around my max for my 7970, it never goes higher :P That's the Sapphire coolers for ya. You could get something like an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme III or IV, those will cool your card down and keep it quiet. A bit pricey. You could also go the AIO route if you don't have enough space for the ~12 inch cooler.

13 minutes ago, DND said:

I'm not pretty sure if that 77C is consistent but one day when i was playing NBA2K16 everything was maxed out i notice that the fans of my case was so loud and tried checking heat temps and i saw that that my gpu temps where around at 77C but that was around afternoon time and it was pretty hot here in PH. I was pretty shocked too that i got 77C btw would having a dual monitor set up affect the temps too? because when i was just using my old shitty LG LCD 17" monitor my temps won't even go above 60C everything maxed out but when i got my BenQ RL2455HM it got higher and i'm using my 2nd monitor too for net browsing while gaming.

That's kinda weird for one of the best 970 coolers. How hot is it in your house normally?

Sorry man, 60C here is around my max for my 7970, it never goes higher :P That's the Sapphire coolers for ya. You could get something like an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme III or IV, those will cool your card down and keep it quiet. A bit pricey. You could also go the AIO route if you don't have enough space for the ~12 inch cooler.

That's kinda weird for one of the best 970 coolers. How hot is it in your house normally?

I can't really tell how hot is it in my house but maybe in the afternoon it would hit higher than 30C or around 32C cause the normal room temperature is 28C right?

EDIT: I'm playing Witcher 3 right now and it's around 1am here in the PH gonna try to monitor my temps maybe the temps i got was only due to the it is very hot in PH in the afternoon.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DND said:

I can't really tell how hot is it in my house but maybe in the afternoon it would hit higher than 30C or around 32C cause the normal room temperature is 28C right?

EDIT: I'm playing Witcher 3 right now and it's around 1am here in the PH gonna try to monitor my temps maybe the temps i got was only due to the it is very hot in PH in the afternoon.

Ok. Yeah, you can try and OC, just monitor your temps. Maxwell cards can handle really high temps, around 95C before they throttle, but I cannot recommend letting it get near that high.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Ok. Yeah, you can try and OC, just monitor your temps. Maxwell cards can handle really high temps, around 95C before they throttle, but I cannot recommend letting it get near that high.

Oh i see thanks. As of now i am only hitting 51-55C while playing witcher 3.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DND said:

Oh i see thanks. As of now i am only hitting 51-55C while playing witcher 3.

That's temps I'd expect to see on a 970. You can try to OC right now if you want, and see how high you can get. Just be careful when your room gets hot.

Just now, Kobathor said:

That's temps I'd expect to see on a 970. You can try to OC right now if you want, and see how high you can get. Just be careful when your room gets hot.

Yeah maybe it's just because of the hot temperature in the afternoon that i got 77C while playing. Maybe i could just turn off the OC profile when the environment is hot like in the afternoon. BTW just wanted to ask if by any chance i would play around an air condition room would my temps get better? Cause as of now the means of cooling here in our house is only electric fans hahaha. 

Spoiler

Just now, DND said:

Yeah maybe it's just because of the hot temperature in the afternoon that i got 77C while playing. Maybe i could just turn off the OC profile when the environment is hot like in the afternoon. BTW just wanted to ask if by any chance i would play around an air condition room would my temps get better? Cause as of now the means of cooling here in our house is only electric fans hahaha. 

If the temps in the room are cool, the card will be cool. Air conditioning will help.

Just now, Kobathor said:

If the temps in the room are cool, the card will be cool. Air conditioning will help.

Okay thanks a lot. Hoping i could get my mom to buy an aircon for my room so that the temps would be better.

Spoiler

Just now, DND said:

Okay thanks a lot. Hoping i could get my mom to buy an aircon for my room so that the temps would be better.

Well, AC can be expensive sometimes! I bet she'd get one if you helped her pay for it.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Well, AC can be expensive sometimes! I bet she'd get one if you helped her pay for it.

Hahaha yeah especially here in PH the prices get high like crazy like a 20$ cpu cooler would go up to 30$ here in PH.

Spoiler

I would also like to use this topic to ask about overclocking with afterburner.

I got my R9 390 nitro 1040MHz clock speed at stock.

How safe is it to overclock? What can dammage my card? If it's running beyond 90°C I know it's dammaging my card, but what about volate overclock? Like adding +50mV?

Does warranty cover overclocking? Can they even detect if GPU was overclocked?

I accidently set my fan to 20% once (fans are not spinning at 20%), and my card got to 95°C for like 2-3min. I was playing game and noticed huge FPS drop after few minutes. Checked monitoring software and temp was to 95°C peak for like 2-3min as I said. I know that was dumb mistake from my side, but how serious dammage could that cause?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Here's a quicker guid 

keep tunring core up until u crash 

in a Benchmark then back it off  abit

then add memory until u crash and back it off a it

then check ur temps if u have enough head room add up to 87 mv and repeat proces 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Just now, DND said:

Hahaha yeah especially here in PH the prices get high like crazy like a 20$ cpu cooler would go up to 30$ here in PH.

Really? I've never really looked at PC part prices for the Philippines, but that's a bit of a price jump.

Just now, Simon771 said:

I would also like to use this topic to ask about overclocking with afterburner.

I got my R9 390 nitro 1040MHz clock speed at stock.

How safe is it to overclock? What can dammage my card? If it's running beyond 90°C I know it's dammaging my card, but what about volate overclock? Like adding +50mV?

Does warranty cover overclocking? Can they even detect if GPU was overclocked?

I accidently set my fan to 20% once (fans are not spinning at 20%), and my card got to 95°C for like 2-3min. I was playing game and noticed huge FPS drop after few minutes. Checked monitoring software and temp was to 95°C peak for like 2-3min as I said. I know that was dumb mistake from my side, but how serious dammage could that cause?

390's aren't the best overclockers, but 1040Mhz is no big OC. Instead of changing the voltage, just try ramping the power limit up to the max, then OC as far as you can. As long as your temps are in-check you'll be totally fine.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Really? I've never really looked at PC part prices for the Philippines, but that's a bit of a price jump.

Yep dude the prices are way crazier like the R9 390x is around 440$ here in PH and the choices of parts aren't that many.

Spoiler

390's aren't the best overclockers, but 1040Mhz is no big OC. Instead of changing the voltage, just try ramping the power limit up to the max, then OC as far as you can. As long as your temps are in-check you'll be totally fine.

Well I managed to overclock to 1150MHz and 1600 for memory. Was stable during Valley benchmark at +50% load (that seems to be max) and + 40mV.

Tried 1170 and there was something weird starting to show so turned it off as fast as I could. But still temps were always below 77°C even when I had some "arif"-something on my screen. I just don't want to push it to +100mV because I'm afraid that might dammage my card.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB