can I use the subwoofer from this speaker set?

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

you technically could with a bunch of adapters and cutting some cables but tbh you should just get a proper powered subwoofer with RCA input that you can directly connect to your receiver, and passive speakers for surround

I found this on craigslist http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/5460097822.html , and I am putting together sort of a home theater system in my garage.  So far I have 2 sony bookshelf speakers for my front channel, and a 5.2 channel onkyo receiver.  Could I use the subwoofer in this craigslist add as the sub for my system.  I noticed that it comes with it's own remote and wasn't sure how I would hook it up to my receiver, because the remot controls the bass and stuff like that.  Also, if those other speakers are good could I use those as my surround channel.  I am not exactley sure what kind of speakers are best for what channel so I guess I am asking what speakers should I use for which channel, 2 sony bookshelf speakers SS u6033, and if i get the speakers from that craigslist ad, a subwoofer and 2 Z4s

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

you technically could with a bunch of adapters and cutting some cables but tbh you should just get a proper powered subwoofer with RCA input that you can directly connect to your receiver, and passive speakers for surround

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

that's what I was thinking.  So, with my sony SSu6033's, should those be front or surround channel?  and i know what active and powered speakers are, but why should I use passive for surround and active for other channels?

1 minute ago, littlepigboy5 said:

that's what I was thinking.  So, with my sony SSu6033's, should those be front or surround channel?  and i know what active and powered speakers are, but why should I use passive for surround and active for other channels?

well an av receiver outputs power to the speakers, so you should use passive speakers everywhere otherwise you will damage them

the subwoofers usually have a special preamp output (via RCA) which is not amplified, so thats why you want a powered sub for a receiver

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

well an av receiver outputs power to the speakers, so you should use passive speakers everywhere otherwise you will damage them

the subwoofers usually have a special preamp output (via RCA) which is not amplified, so thats why you want a powered sub for a receiver

oh, so I don't want any of my speakers to be powered(except for the sub).  if my receiver is a certain wattage does that mean the sum of the wattage of all my speakers can't exceed the wattage of my receiver?

7 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

oh, so I don't want any of my speakers to be powered(except for the sub).  if my receiver is a certain wattage does that mean the sum of the wattage of all my speakers can't exceed the wattage of my receiver?

you dont need to worry about the wattage, they will work fine with the receiver

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

you dont need to worry about the wattage, they will work fine with the receiver

ok, thanks again