Apparently, I'm stupid

WaitDontSh00t

Hello my fellow GPU people,

I've recently posted topics talking about and asking for help about a new build I'm going to make soon. 

The main parts will consist of a 6700k and 980Ti. 

I'm also going to be getting a new monitor. Most likely the PG279Q, X34 or PG348Q.

Depending on which monitor I get, I may SLI the Ti's to be able to get high frames with max settings. (Unless I'm wrong).

Anyways..someone, well a couple people told me that it would be stupid of me to get a 980 Ti, while Pascal is "Around" the corner. One person...and I quote...said.."It would be stupid to buy one now, they are almost 9 months old and we are like 3 months away from a double die shrink. The GP104 successor to the 980 will be at least a 25% higher performance than the Ti and cost $549...They will have DP1.3.....Better Dx12"...etc..etc..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have yet to really see any news that we are only 3 months away from Pascal.

Am I in the wrong here, buying now? I'm starting to doubt myself because of what some people have said. 

1 minute ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

I've recently posted topics talking about and asking for help about a new build I'm going to make soon. 

I'm also going to be getting a new monitor. Most likely the PG279Q, X34 or PG348Q.

Depending on which monitor I get, I may SLI the Ti's to be able to get high frames with max settings. (Unless I'm wrong).

Anyways..someone, well a couple people told me that it would be stupid of me to get a 980 Ti, while Pascal is "Around" the corner. One person...and I quote...said.."It would be stupid to buy one now, they are almost 9 months old and we are like 3 months away from a double die shrink. The GP104 successor to the 980 will be at least a 25% higher performance than the Ti and cost $549...They will have DP1.3.....Better Dx12"...etc..etc..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have yet to really see any news that we are only 3 months away from Pascal.

Am I in the wrong here, buying now? I'm starting to doubt myself because of what some people have said. 

There has been no official specific date announced, but generally NVIDIA releases their stuff around April/May of every year.

I am one of those people telling people to wait. It's a big change compared to the last few years of GPUs. It's a generational leap, they're making cards with 32gb of VRAM (possibly). 

But aside from rumors the facts are they're changing the nanometer process (its been a while) and introducing HMB, possibly a new GDDR.

If you're buying a card this year, it's worth it to wait no matter what. Either you get the next big thing or what you want now drops in price.

Some people are big on waiting for stuff to come out, but my view on it personally is if you do that you'll never be happy with the hardware you get. If it performs for what you want it to do now go for it, and if worst comes you can just sell it and upgrade. You might not break even but oh well.

6 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

I wrestled with same question and quite easily determined that it was best for me to buy now.  Many of the performance increases that have been announced for Pascal won't benefit my gaming needs, and current tech was more than enough for what I was wanting for the foreseeable future.  Plus, they likely will not release the entire line at once, and when they don't release the particular model you want, then what? You wasted all that time you could have been gaming?  I am in the buy now, sell and buy again in future camp.  But this is just a personal decision, and has a lot to do with how hard money is to come by for you or how frugal you are...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

4 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

I am one of those people telling people to wait. It's a big change compared to the last few years of GPUs. It's a generational leap, they're making cards with 32gb of VRAM (possibly). 

But aside from rumors the facts are they're changing the nanometer process (its been a while) and introducing HMB, possibly a new GDDR.

If you're buying a card this year, it's worth it to wait no matter what. Either you get the next big thing or what you want now drops in price.

The exact same thing can pretty much be said about any technology product, ever.... wait longer, get more performance for the dollar.  But at some point you need to jump, and if the specs, let alone the release date have not even been announced, I just don't get it waiting for stuff like "32gigs of VRAM," when 1) totally not needed and wont be utilized, and 2) will likely only be for the business grade cards...smaller die process means very little...and for his display/performance needs, a 980ti would do just fine...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

Just now, Low_Battery said:

snip.

I'm just saying, it's been a while for this particular change, in this particular technology (there's many subsets) we're talking about itt (even smaller subset), therefore I believe people should wait given they ask my opinion. 

We've been stuck at this chipset for a while, developers have figured out how to utilize them because each iteration was based on the last. 

Also they will be aimed at resolutions higher than 1080p. The 980ti shoots for ultimate 1080p gaming experience (which it does). But the 1080ti will shoot for 4k and the rest of the cards will scale down from there. Perhaps the 1070 will be the new 1080p king and cost half of a 980ti

It's like a console generation gap. There will be us pascal/polaris people who scoff at the thought of 4GB of VRAM on a $350 card. Us PPs (pascal/polaris) bathing in the benefits of the 16nm process. Us PPs relishing in the boundless resolution of our textures with 32gb of vram. I believe they will call it 'Super Ultra Dynamic Look at those textures I pissed my pants mode'. 

I'm the king of run on sentences 

12 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

It's like a console generation gap. There will be us pascal/polaris people who scoff at the thought of 4GB of VRAM on a $350 card. Us PPs (pascal/polaris) bathing in the benefits of the 16nm process. Us PPs relishing in the boundless resolution of our textures with 32gb of vram. I believe they will call it 'Super Ultra Dynamic Look at those textures I pissed my pants mode'. 

I'm the king of run on sentences 

lol.  Or you "PPs" regretting you waited so long for something that a) never materialized like you hoped, and/or b) doesn't give you the performance increase you thought.  First, a 980ti can run 1440p at the highest settings no problem, even some games at 4k, and have 6gigs of RAM.  Furthermore, what are these so called benefits of the 16nm process you speak of?  Smaller die - so what?  Maybe slight power cost savings, which will translate to maybe $5 a year?  Also, many of the well informed believe only their top tier business class will have anything near 32gb of RAM, and more RAM doesn't necessarily translate into "boundless resolution or more textures."  The games would actually need to utilize it, which likely they wont until a whole new generation of cards is available. 

You are welcome to your opinion, I am just explaining the other side ... the side that won't mind the PP's superiority complex because they will have been gaming at max performance for a long time, and will continue to do so even after the release..

P.S. Just look at the 980ti with 6 gigs or VRAM compared to the Titan with 12gigs, or other high VRAM AMD cards.  The 980ti often case outperforms many of these cards even with smaller amounts of VRAM...

2 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

P.S. Just look at the 980ti with 6 gigs or VRAM compared to the Titan with 12gigs, or other high VRAM AMD cards.  The 980ti often case outperforms many of these cards even with smaller amounts of VRAM...

You know what happens to games when new hardware becomes the standard right ;) you start missing out on stuff.

IF you're buying in the same year as the biggest change in like FIVE years, you should wait. 

7 minutes ago, branden_lucero said:

hello stupid, i'm steve.

Found the dad

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

17 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

You know what happens to games when new hardware becomes the standard right ;) you start missing out on stuff.

IF you're buying in the same year as the biggest change in like FIVE years, you should wait. 

Again, there is no argument that if you wait longer, you will be able to get more performance. 

Personally, I am going to wait until NVIDIA's "Godot" series though.

Depends how badly you need a new rig. If there are games you want to play that just won't run on your current system then go ahead and upgrade. You will get your money's worth in the mean time.

If you are paying at high and want to play on ultra, or at 1080 and you want to play at 1440 or 4k then wait and see what is available later on this year.

The improvements could be meh. Or they could be huge. Who knows.