M ATX vs M ITX

swety111

Hi guys, im planning on upgrading my rig once the next gen of CPU's (Zen and Kaby Lake/Cannon Lake) and GPU's (Polaris and Pascal) are released. My main goal is to upgrade but get smaller, my current build is in a corsair 780T with an ATX mobo, here's my part list if you want more details:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/VbZqcf

CPU and mobo are my upgrade priorities. I want to go smaller, to the point where my pc becomes pretty portable but im not sure how small I want to go, M ATX or M ITX. The cases available for M ITX are obviously smaller and some also come with a handle which i find a very attractive feature however the reduced number of pcie slots is very off putting as I like the idea of being able to go for a xfire/sli setup or a pci ssd in the future. In an ideal world manufacturers would still be making M DTX mobos but seeing as they don't I'm having difficulty weighing up the size and portability vs expandability advantages. 

basically with this info in mind would you recommend a very portable M ITX build or a somewhat portable but expandable M ATX build. Also which cases would you recommend for each form factor.

If you want to crossfire sli in the future matx is the way to go however if you are more confident in your gpu and want some more airflow matx is a better option.

In terms of cases the 350d is a compelling option from corsair along with the 240 air for mini itx the fractal node 202 is one of the best sff cases one can get right now

I'd probably say M-ITX, preferably with a horizontal motherboard (380T, the smaller brother of the 780T, for example). if you want something relatively easy to carry the last thing you want is a 2nd GPU.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

If you are willing to wait for those hardware releases then maybe by that time there will be more options in terms of cases. If the CoolerMaster Pro 5 is any indication of what their M ATX version is (Pro 3) then you can keep an eye out for that case as well when it gets released.

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

1 hour ago, Facety said:

If you are willing to wait for those hardware releases then maybe by that time there will be more options in terms of cases. If the CoolerMaster Pro 5 is any indication of what their M ATX version is (Pro 3) then you can keep an eye out for that case as well when it gets released.

That's the case I want to get as well. It should feature the same nice handles so that is nice I guess.

Also I would go mATX. mITX is often limited. Don't get me wrong: I loved my ITX build, but try getting a good USB3.1 1151 board....there are like non....or very expensive. With mATX you can later get a cheap add-in card when necessary, or do crossfire, or whatever.....

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)