iGPU Holding Back dGPU?

kennethnakasone

I noticed that when I have the dGPU by itself, I'm able to record 1080p 60fps on OBS, but when I enable to iGPU (and record the same monitor as before), OBS is only able to do 20~25fps. In the latter case, when I check the dGPU's utilization, it maxes out at about 50%.

Could someone shed some light on what's going on?

Just disable the iGPU/don't try to use it. You're not going to gain much more performance even if you get them working together. (and currently not, so just disable it lmao)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Uh, what exactly are you doing? I might have an idea of what's going on but you haven't given enough information.

3 minutes ago, SirSquid said:

What's your iGPU/igd and your dGPU/PEG?

2 minutes ago, zlolslavez said:

Just disable the iGPU/don't try to use it. You're not going to gain much more performance even if you get them working together. (and currently not, so just disable it lmao)

I'm using a Quadro K2000 with an Intel HD4600. I have two monitors (1xDP, 1xDVI) connected to the K2000, but I wanted to use a 3rd VGA monitor. I didn't have a DP-to-VGA adapter, so I tried enabling the HD4600 and connecting the 3rd monitor to that.

Just now, kennethnakasone said:

I'm using a Quadro K2000 with an Intel HD4600. I have two monitors (1xDP, 1xDVI) connected to the K2000, but I wanted to use a 3rd VGA monitor. I didn't have a DP-to-VGA adapter, so I tried enabling the HD4600 and connecting the 3rd monitor to that.

Okay, I'm with you so far. Even with the integrated GPU enabled OBS performance should not change unless you're using Quick Sync and displaying a lot on the monitor plugged in to the iGPU.

30 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Okay, I'm with you so far. Even with the integrated GPU enabled OBS performance should not change unless you're using Quick Sync and displaying a lot on the monitor plugged in to the iGPU.

That's kinda all there is to it. 

I have google chrome open on the monitor connected to the iGPU, and OBS is recording one of the monitors connected to the dGPU. Just to double check, I tried flipping the iGPU on/off a moment ago and checking if something in OBS changed, but besides the fact that OBS would record at 60fps properly when off, nothing else changed.

By the way, why would using Quick Sync / displaying a lot on the monitor connected to the iGPU negatively influence the dGPU? 

1 hour ago, kennethnakasone said:

That's kinda all there is to it. 

I have google chrome open on the monitor connected to the iGPU, and OBS is recording one of the monitors connected to the dGPU. Just to double check, I tried flipping the iGPU on/off a moment ago and checking if something in OBS changed, but besides the fact that OBS would record at 60fps properly when off, nothing else changed.

By the way, why would using Quick Sync / displaying a lot on the monitor connected to the iGPU negatively influence the dGPU? 

If you're using Quick Sync that means you're using the integrated GPU to encode the video, if you have the iGPU rendering something to a monitor it puts additional load on the iGPU, which can slow down the recording.