null

null

people are getting their hopes up too much

btw intel is not a monopoly

you clearly have never seen a monopoly

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

people are getting their hopes up too much

btw intel is not a monopoly

you clearly have never seen a monopoly

Lol Nvidia is closer to a monopoly, buys most of it's competition, 3DFX/Voodoo, PhysX, but then ATI bought out Rage3d and was eventually bought out by AMD ....

hmm so much inbreeding going on with GPU market lol

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

null

I hope Zen is good and gives Intel a good kick in arse to actually make some significant performance improvements with their chips, but I'm still sceptical. I just have a feeling that Zen is massively over hyped and is going to be a disappointment. 

Intel also doesn't have a monopoly, they just dominate certain parts of the CPU market. 

intel is not a monopoly thats a large exaggeration. also to much hype will kill the product. it happened with  amds gpus its going to happen with zen as well 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

null

1 minute ago, cptavim said:

I know that they are not a complete monopoly, it would be illegal to do so. And what do you mean we are getting our hopes up? The processors will be  within range of haswell and skylake single threaded performance

there is no such thing as a partial monopoly.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 minutes ago, cptavim said:

The processors will be  within range of haswell and skylake single threaded performance

The fact that you (and many others) are making these claims with 0 proof and 0 real product in existence shows that you are getting your hopes up too much

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

null

Just now, cptavim said:

I know that they are not a complete monopoly, it would be illegal to do so. And what do you mean we are getting our hopes up? The processors will be on within range of haswell and skylake single threaded performance

Once again, you do not know how monopolies work. Monopolies can be legal of they are gained through legal means. If a company fairly beats another competitive company without using underhanded tactics, and the other shuts down, that is not illegal. 

Intel does not have a monopoly in the slightest, not by any definition of the word. AMD has competing products in every market. Server, consumer, and even mobile. You can argue that their products might not be on par with Intel's at the moment, but having a weaker product does not make the stronger product an obvious decision, let alone a monopoly. Other factors determine consumer buying trends. People still buy AMD CPU's, as evidenced by the recent new 990FX boards. 

Just now, cptavim said:

I know it's an exaggeration. Also how can too much hype kill a product? lol

Simple. Look at Duke Nukem. Game was decades in the making, and overhyped. Once initial release came, and everyone got the finished product, they were extremely disappointed. When something is hyped too much, people expect too much. Failure to meet expectations is bad.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

null

Just now, cptavim said:

Well its claiming 40% IPC gain over excavator and is said to be on par with haswell in terms of performance

On par with Haswell? So.. Intel's previous generation. Unless they go for a very value oriented approach (which AMD have said that they don't want to be the value option), then it's really going to be too little too late. It's a big improvement over their previous CPUs, but it won't mean much if it doesn't compete with Intel.

I know it's an exaggeration. Also how can too much hype kill a product? lol

to much hype people get there hopes up and then get disappointed when it does not perform they way they want it to happened with fiji, crimson drivers, Maxwell the list can go on 

Just now, cptavim said:

AMD has said that there is a 40% IPC gain over excavator.

Rule #1 in the computer hardware world: Never take a companies word on how fast their product is. ALWAYS wait for 3rd party reviews and benchmarks. 

Remember when AMD had that graph showing the Fury X being faster than the 980 Ti in like 10 games? Yeah... 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

On par with Haswell? So.. Intel's previous generation. Unless they go for a very value oriented approach (which AMD have said that they don't want to be the value option), then it's really going to be too little too late. It's a big improvement over their previous CPUs, but it won't mean much if it doesn't compete with Intel.

Considering Skylake is only 5% faster in IPC (while also being 5% slower in FPU) than Haswell, being on par with Haswell with larger core configurations is actually a pretty big deal. Especially considering Intel's latest news, that CPU's wont be getting faster, only more efficient. That being said, that 40% number means nothing until we see proof of it. I don't care who throws the number around... AMD, Nvidia, Intel, etc. Never take a companies word for it. 

The biggest improvement Skylake offers over Haswell, is all in the platform itself. DDR4, PCIE lanes, DMI 3.0, etc. CPU vs CPU, really isn't that big of a difference between Skylake and Haswell. 

3 minutes ago, cptavim said:

AMD has said that there is a 40% IPC gain over excavator.

"AMD has said"

uh, AMD has said a lot of things...

I really hope youre not just believing everything they say...

Spoiler

null

null

null

null

9 minutes ago, cptavim said:

I know that they are not a complete monopoly, it would be illegal to do so. And what do you mean we are getting our hopes up? The processors will be  within range of haswell and skylake single threaded performance

It hasn't been released yet, we don't know where it's performance will land. I think it is seriously unrealistic to think that amd well surpass Sandy, ivy, and reach haswell level in one architectural redesign. People always buy into AMD's hype, get burned, and then hate on AMD. I was like that too once upon a time, now I wait for their shit to get released before getting any expectations.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

null

Just now, cptavim said:

Yeah I really don't know much about monopolies ( except for the board game). I just said that because I know people would get riled up

No, that is not why you said it. You tried to defend that point twice in this thread thus far, mostly because you believed it to be true, not because you wanted to get a certain response from others. 

Posting the video as it is, and saying you hope it would do good is perfectly fine. However, spreading misinformation, and calling Intel a monopoly is wrong. 

2 minutes ago, cptavim said:

Did anybody even watch the video? It's 21 minutes long and it hasn't even been 21 minutes

Look at when the video was uploaded 

Yo calm down man lol. I just wanted a discussion, didn't mean to get into an argument.

This isnt an argument

Its just really ignorant of people to believe what a company like AMD says without any kind of proof

AMD also said that they were going to bring 25x better power efficiency

AMD also said the 290X was a titan killer

AMD also released fake benchmarks showing the fury X beating the 980 in nearly every game

see the pattern?

yeah

wait until Zen actually EXISTS and is reviewed by unbiased tech sources before saying "zen is great, zen is 25x more efficient, zen competes with haswell and skylake, zen supports ddr4, zen this, zen that"

Spoiler