Time for a new headset

mikeyyve
Go to solution Solved by DaftBehemoth,

If you're looking for a headset (and don't want to use headphones with a separate mic), I'd recommend the Sennheiser PC360's (the open ear version). I've had them for a few months now and I absolutely love them. Crystal clear, powerful sound :)

My Astro A30 headset is just really uncomfortable and I've finally gotten tired of it. I am looking to get a new headset for playing games, watching movies or listening to music. 

I would like to keep the budget at or below $200 if at all possible. 

I don't have a dedicated soundcard so I will be using on board audio. (at least for now)

I was thinking about going with something like the Sennheiser PC 350, Razer Kraken Pro, or maybe Sennheiser 558s with a snowball. 

Honestly I would probably rarely record audio for videos or commentary or anything so this is primarily for voice communication. 

Any thoughts about any of these options? I also welcome any other suggestions you may have!

Sennheisers + snowball, you do not want a headset believe me, sound quality is so much better on headphones.

Grab separate headphones and mic like the 558's you mentioned. Other good headphones in that range are Beyerdynamic DT770/990 (pro versions) or audiotechnica ath-m50.

Definitely the 558 and snowball. If you can get a dac too then that would be good. Mabye the fiio e10

Nzxt Phantom 410 - I5 4670k stock - 7950 vapor x @ 1000mhz/1250mhz - Msi Z87 G45 - 8gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1600mhz - TX650 - Benq XL2420t - Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Deathadder 2013

to be fair the PC363D sound is better than my HD 448's even when using it on a laptop so if you really need a headset get those on the cheap or something but I hear the 350's are just as good.

If you're looking for a headset (and don't want to use headphones with a separate mic), I'd recommend the Sennheiser PC360's (the open ear version). I've had them for a few months now and I absolutely love them. Crystal clear, powerful sound :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Why do you suggest the open ear version? Do they block out at least a little background noise? I play in the same room as my brother so I just want to make sure I'll be able to hear the awesome sound.  :P

Why do you suggest the open ear version? Do they block out at least a little background noise? I play in the same room as my brother so I just want to make sure I'll be able to hear the awesome sound.  :P

This is kinda personal preference, but open air headsets allow your ears to breath and the sound bounce around your ears and out the side of the headset naturally. It provides a clearer, more accurate soundstage. The cons to this are that you will definitely ear everything else in your room (until you turn up the sound a bit :P), and they won't sound as bass-y as something like Beats headphones (if you're into that type of thing, they sound awful in my opinion).On a less important note, I prefer the looks of the metal mesh on the sides of the PC360 as opposed to the plastic on the sides of the PC350 :)

I think that you'll get a good headset either way, but I can only speak from my personal experience with the PC360's. They sound brilliant :D

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Open ear headphones give a larger soundstage than closed ear. A larger soundstage gives better positional accuracy. Check out this guide. It is everything you need to know for buying headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

The conclusion is, for positional accuracy you will find it hard to beat the Audiotechnica ATH-AD700 or the Sennheiser HD 598. The AD700's are a bit cheaper but you will get slightly better bass out of the HD 598's. Both are brilliant for listening to music (unlike gaming headsets) but understand that they are both bass light.

They both are very comfortable but I wouldn't recommend the AD700's for anyone with a very small head. In saying that, I wouldn't expect them to stay on very well if you're jumping around the place anyway. These are a set of cans for listening to stuff at home. I wouldn't recommend for out and about use. 

Noise cancellation isn't going to be great all. It isn't really an issue unless your brother is blaring music out of speakers. I would be more worried that he will get pissed off because he will be able to hear everything you are listening to. If I bang up the volume on my AD700's, I can easily hear everything playing from across the room.

The thing is though, these are some of the best headphones for gaming. They will be much better than Astro A40's which are "meant to be" the be all and end all for gaming headsets.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I would love to grab the HD 598 but at that price I wouldn't be able to get any microphone... Also what is the difference between the snowball and snowflake in quality?

I would love to grab the HD 598 but at that price I wouldn't be able to get any microphone... Also what is the difference between the snowball and snowflake in quality?

Like I said, grab a pair of AD700x's, they will be just as good as the 598's.

Snowball is better quality, snowflake is okay, but is a much smaller form factor.

I don't have much room on my desk, or else I would get a full sized microphone, but if it's just skype/game chat, nobody really cares. Just get something cheap that works. 

This is kinda personal preference, but open air headsets allow your ears to breath and the sound bounce around your ears and out the side of the headset naturally. It provides a clearer, more accurate soundstage. The cons to this are that you will definitely ear everything else in your room (until you turn up the sound a bit :P), and they won't sound as bass-y as something like Beats headphones (if you're into that type of thing, they sound awful in my opinion).On a less important note, I prefer the looks of the metal mesh on the sides of the PC360 as opposed to the plastic on the sides of the PC350 :)

I think that you'll get a good headset either way, but I can only speak from my personal experience with the PC360's. They sound brilliant :D

I think I'm going to get the PC 360s.As much as I would love to do the separate mic and headphones I am a senior in college so I'm taking this equipment along with my desktop back and forth between home and dorm life quite a bit so the less I have to back up the better.

I only have one more question. Are they comfortable to wear with glasses on?

I think I'm going to get the PC 360s.As much as I would love to do the separate mic and headphones I am a senior in college so I'm taking this equipment along with my desktop back and forth between home and dorm life quite a bit so the less I have to back up the better.

I only have one more question. Are they comfortable to wear with glasses on?

Yes. I wore them with glasses for a few months and I didn't have a problem with it. I did recently get contacts again (after a few years without) and I can say that they're more comfortable without the glasses. I'm sure you'll be fine though.