Can I fix a scratch on the mainboard?

Hey guys,

i bought a defective mainboard off ebay, just for fun and for the challenge to learn smth.

first i thought the problem would be the bent CPU socket pins, fortunately it wasnt that bad so after an hour i got all of them straight and in the correct position as good as new.

If i'm turning the system on, it provides energy to the cpu (since it gets warm) and at least the fans (havent checked more so far) but the display stays completely black in all possible configs.

after disassembling again, i noticed a rather small and not very deep scratch (possibly caused by a uncorrect mounted backplate). the paint coat is missing and you can see the copper inside but its not as deep as it goes through the copper. I'm just wondering how to fix this? Could this be the reason for it beeing defective or is this not that severe?

tried my best to take a picture, i hope someone knows something :)

_MG_0426-1.jpg

2 minutes ago, SharkyMoto said:

Hey guys,

i bought a defective mainboard off ebay, just for fun and for the challenge to learn smth.

first i thought the problem would be the bent CPU socket pins, fortunately it wasnt that bad so after an hour i got all of them straight and in the correct position as good as new.

If i'm turning the system on, it provides energy to the cpu (since it gets warm) and at least the fans (havent checked more so far) but the display stays completely black in all possible configs.

after disassembling again, i noticed a rather small and not very deep scratch (possibly caused by a uncorrect mounted backplate). the paint coat is missing and you can see the copper inside but its not as deep as it goes through the copper. I'm just wondering how to fix this? Could this be the reason for it beeing defective or is this not that severe?

tried my best to take a picture, i hope someone knows something :)

_MG_0426-1.jpg

Conductive paint???

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

try coloring in the parts missing with a pencil? idk 

Motherboard - Asus Z97-WS ll Processor -Intel i7-4790K ll Cooling- Custom Loop ll RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB(2x8) @2400 ll Graphics Card  - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI ll PSU - Corsair AX 1200 Watts ll SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ll HDD - seagate barracuda green 2TB & Seagate 4TB ll Case - Silverstone TJ11 ll Audio - Asus Xonar Essence STX  ll OS- Win 10 PRO 64-bit ll Keyboard- CM Storm QuickfireTK Green Switchesll Mouse- Logitech G502

I doubt thats why its not working.. just clean it.. put some paint on... but.. if its not working it's still not gona work...

1 minute ago, SlientNinja.cmd said:

try coloring in the parts missing with a pencil? idk 

Nice idea!!! :D I think he would need a bit more carbon to conduct the amount of electricity needed xD 

Member title post link!

3 hours ago, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

Nice idea!!! :D I think he would need a bit more carbon to conduct the amount of electricity needed xD 

Maybe not.. Many moon ago I used pencils to turn many a celeron back into pentium 3's :D

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

1 minute ago, givegomezthegun said:

Maybe not.. Many moon ago I used pencils to turn many a celeron back into pentium 3's :D

Aha nice :) They also work well along with rubbers at fixing scalextric cars :D 

Member title post link!

I would be very wary of trying to use conductive material to "fix" this... modern motherboards have more than one layer of copper channels. So basically trying to repair the damage that shows, could be dreating a short circuit on the board and essentially directing more current at a part not designed to handle it, at best this would result in a failing part on the motherboard, at worst completely trashing your CPU/GPU etc that you plugged in there.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

25 minutes ago, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

Conductive paint???

I do not believe you want to use conductive material on a trace. It'll short.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Conductive pen?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I do not believe you want to use conductive material on a trace. It'll short.

Surely it depends how much or in this case little you use and if you are accurate with it, following line of traces?

Member title post link!

Just now, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

Surely it depends how much or in this case little you use and if you are accurate with it, following line of traces?

If the conductive material is too close to the trace, it could violate minimal electrical clearance. PCBs are made with non-conductive material.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If the conductive material is too close to the trace, it could violate minimal electrical clearance. PCBs are made with non-conductive material.

Good point! Didn't think of that! 

Member title post link!

Just now, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

Good point! Didn't think of that! 

Also, if the person uses conductive paint and puts it on both traces with the material being a connecting trail, the two traces will short together most definitely.

Also, if the person uses conductive paint and puts it on both traces with the material being a connecting trail, the two traces will short together most definitely.

Yep! but if they connect up the traces with the right amount of "material" then it should be fine :) 

Member title post link!

2 minutes ago, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

Yep! but if they connect up the traces with the right amount of "material" then it should be fine :) 

But the two traces are already connected where they need to go. No damage has been done other than exposing them.

Edit: It looks like one of the two parallel traces on the right MIGHT be scratched through

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

But the two traces are already connected where they need to go. No damage has been done other than exposing them.

In which case a small amount of tape over the top "should" sort it :) 

Member title post link!

the traces are not cut through, is it failing because the traces are exposed? i'm a little bit confused. will scotchtape fix it temporarily?

i really dont care if anything fries since i bought the board (msi b75ma-p45) and the cpu (celeron g540) for 7$, so i could live with a do or die.

13 hours ago, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

In which case a small amount of tape over the top "should" sort it :) 

no luck... i've cleaned it all with ethanol, put a small piece of scotchtape over it, still the same issue. 

cleaned it again and sealed it with clear nail polish i got from my sister (thank god i have one :D) but still faulty.

is one layer of nail polish enough to insulate the copper or do i need more? :D