Would a GTX 960 or 970 be compatible with my current PSU?

Spacey93

So I was planning hopefully sometime soon to add a GPU to my current PC, as right now I'm just using integrated graphics. I'm still pretty new to PC upgrading, currently just using a prebuild with the following specs. Intel core i5 4460, 8GB RAM, H81m-plus motherboard, is this alright? I've heard the i5 4460 shouldn't have any problems with bottlenecking a GTX 960 or 970. But what I'm mainly concerned about is my PSU, which is a 400W ZALMAN ZM400-GVN. Would this be enough to power a GTX 960 or 970 without too much trouble, hopefully running most games on high settings at 1080p 60FPS?

does your PSU have the required plugs?

if it only has one plug

then you need to invest in another PSU

your system will not bottleneck the 970 or 960

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If your power supply has the correct plugs you will be just fine that power supply is sufficient enough to power  either one of those graphics cards. 

That system will not bottleneck either one of those graphics cards. 

2 minutes ago, striker477 said:

If your power supply has the correct plugs you will be just fine that power supply is sufficient enough to power  either one of those graphics cards. 

That system will not bottleneck either one of those graphics cards. 

Is it just some Pci-e cables I should be looking for? Because I think it's got a couple of those not connected to anything.

And ok that's great to know.

nvidia recommends a minimum 500 watt PSU for a GTX 970 system. they can get a little high imho but i like to do things the safe way especially of your going to OC. you can usually find a 80+ 500 watt evga PSU at a very reasonable price

as for bottle necking you will not see it on a haswell 4460. we have one built at the house with a 4430 and a evga 970 with 0 issues.

1 minute ago, Conan1600 said:

nvidia recommends a minimum 500watt PSU for a GTX 970 system. they can get a little high imho but i like to do things the safe way especially of your going to OC. you can usually find a 80+ 500watt evga PSU at a very reasonable price

That PSU, yes 500w minimum. Though a high quality say 80+ Gold 400w SeaSonic PSU could easily handle it

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

That PSU, yes 500w minimum. Though a high quality say 80+ Gold 400w SeaSonic PSU could easily handle it

Not planning on overclocking anything yet, just trying to get a steady 60fps on most games. So you don't think a 400W PSU is appropriate for a 970?

1 minute ago, Spacey93 said:

Not planning on overclocking anything yet, just trying to get a steady 60fps on most games. So you don't think a 400W PSU is appropriate for a 970?

Depends on the quality of the PSU, what it's max temps are, whether they used shitty capaciters ect. I don't have time to research this though @STRMfrmXMN may know the quality. If I re-call Zalmans aren't really great though don't quote me. Have not been to focused on tech lately.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

if you dont add to the system perhaps but if you are saying that the gold ratimg means better power that is incorrect. 400 watts is 400watts. period. the rating is for how well the psu converts electricity into thw maximum wattage of the psu. im other words a stated psu will reach 400 watts at 80% , 84% etc conversion loss. another thing to look at is what you may plug into usb ports such as phones, hubs, gaming keyboards etc. it all takes watts and if you underpower your system you ask for trouble thus the minimum rating from nvidia

4 minutes ago, Spacey93 said:

400W is enough but most 400W units are not great quality.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

here it does say recommended power supply 500W but in fine print below that it says 

"Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2 GHz processor. Pre-built systems may requrie less power depending on system configuration."

With his current specs he listed he would be under the psu's 400W so why wouldn't his current set up work?