Best upgrade path for AMD based system?

I'm currently sitting on a budget of £600 (roughly $860) and I need to make some magic happen. My poor little AMD based PC has always disappointed me no matter what I threw at it. Here are my current specs, just wondering what the best upgrade path would be:

AMD FX-8350

R9 270x

Gigabyte GA 990FXA-UD3

8GB Corsair Vengeance

120GB Samsung 850 Evo

500GB Hard Disk

I'm wondering whether I should hold out until Zen's ultimate release and pair one of those newer CPU's with something like a 390x or an R9 Nano? I'm also very tempted to swap over to the Intel/Nvidia side of things and get myself an i5 with a 980 but it's really pushing my budget to the limit.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, xdcharliedx said:

I'm currently sitting on a budget of £600 (roughly $860) and I need to make some magic happen. My poor little AMD based PC has always disappointed me no matter what I threw at it. Here are my current specs, just wondering what the best upgrade path would be:

AMD FX-8350

R9 270x

Gigabyte GA 990FXA-UD3

8GB Corsair Vengeance

120GB Samsung 850 Evo

500GB Hard Disk

I'm wondering whether I should hold out until Zen's ultimate release and pair one of those newer CPU's with something like a 390x or an R9 Nano? I'm also very tempted to swap over to the Intel/Nvidia side of things and get myself an i5 with a 980 but it's really pushing my budget to the limit.

if ur willing to spend over 600 USD, u shouldn't be using AMD, their cpus are very underpowerd right now, and zen doesn't look very promising IMO.  you can keep most of ur parts, but pickup a 970 for about 300 USD a 4790k for about 350 USD and then any z97 mobo for up to 150 USD.  You will see an incredible boost in performance.

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

Stick with the 8350 until Zen and see if you can push for a R9 Nano/Fury, as both perform better than a 980.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

What's your PSU?

Corsair CX750M, if it seems a bit of a high wattage, it's because I originally ran crossfire 270x's but saw no real gain in performance.

2 minutes ago, xdcharliedx said:

AMD FX-8350

R9 270x

Gigabyte GA 990FXA-UD3

8GB Corsair Vengeance

120GB Samsung 850 Evo

500GB Hard Disk

I would suggest I bigger hdd and and I would wait until the 400 series gpus comes out comes out. 

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

Being on the Intel and Green team myself, I must say the AMD platform is a bit underwhelming right now. But in the interest of answering your question fairly - you can always wait for the release of the new architecture. We never know if the team red might surprise us. That said, if you can't wait, you can up your GPU, it the most logical step up.

3 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

if ur willing to spend over 600 USD, u shouldn't be using AMD, their cpus are very underpowerd right now, and zen doesn't look very promising IMO.  you can keep most of ur parts, but pickup a 970 for about 300 USD a 4790k for about 350 USD and then any z97 mobo for up to 150 USD.  You will see an incredible boost in performance.

Is the 970 a substantial upgrade over the 270x? I don't want to be spending so much on overhauling all I have to be stuck with an average performing rig y'know?

14 minutes ago, xdcharliedx said:

AMD FX-8350

R9 270x

Gigabyte GA 990FXA-UD3

8GB Corsair Vengeance

120GB Samsung 850 Evo

500GB Hard Disk

Can't speak to what Zen is going to be like, but as of right now if you want a good CPU you buy an Intel.

As for GPU, get a 390X over a 980, and get a 980ti over a Fury X if you're insistent on buying right now. For GPUs I would recommend waiting for Pascal/Polaris and see how those cards shake out.

22 minutes ago, xdcharliedx said:

AMD FX-8350

R9 270x

Gigabyte GA 990FXA-UD3

8GB Corsair Vengeance

120GB Samsung 850 Evo

500GB Hard Disk

nowhere.

best upgrade path is intel.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

12 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

OK, keep your 600 GBP, RAM, Case, PSU, storage and sell your CPU, GPU and MB and get something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£296.28 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£26.49 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£79.60 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  (£299.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £702.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-18 17:12 GMT+0000

You can wait too if you want :P

Thanks for this, looks like the best way to go as of right now.

17 minutes ago, xdcharliedx said:

Is the 970 a substantial upgrade over the 270x? I don't want to be spending so much on overhauling all I have to be stuck with an average performing rig y'know?

+75%

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-270X/2577vs2188

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, xdcharliedx said:

AMD FX-8350

R9 270x

Gigabyte GA 990FXA-UD3

8GB Corsair Vengeance

120GB Samsung 850 Evo

500GB Hard Disk

Look back at my option.  Keep most of your stuff.  The 970 easily out performs the 270x and is close to the fury/nano, for way less.  And don't waste money on skylake, it's performance gains vs haswell are not worth the almost 100 dollar premium.  Get a 4790k and a 970 with any z97 board that fits your needs.  It will last you the longest and is the best price/performance for you.  Don't wait for zen, it doesn't look promising enough and I can tell you that the 4790k will be better for sure.

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>