Clanscorpia

Do you think the forum is dying?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the forum is dying?

• Yes
    • No
    • Growing
    • Other

I have been here only for a few days, but I have noticed as a whole, forums are slowly dying. Im a member on numerous car forums and it seems in the past year, People have faded away and not many new members are coming in to fill the gap. Most people are moving to social media as that is the big thing now. Twitter, Facebook, instagram, and snap chat is where everyone is going now. Its sad but Social media I believe is one of the sole reasons why forums are starting to die out.

I see new posts every minute. So i dont think so.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

14 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

The forum now is ridiculously slow it always pisses me off. And also, the mobile version sucks, is way too clunky, and the recent topic are at the bottom, below at least 5 miles of crolling. Has cut my forum viewing time down with at least 90%. Really sad to have to say this.

Interesting that this is my 1000th post though :P

Its become faster every day since upgrade. And I really don't understand whine about recent topics panel. It didn't show at all in previous mobile version. You can also get direct bookmark to recent views, or create your own custom page for it. So in the end you are just lazy and blame forums for that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

No... In fact, I feel it has grown way too large, threads that are complicated and hard to solve are buried quickly by easy to answer threads. 

Not pointing any names, but I've seen people with hundreds of posts under their belt ask ridiculously simple questions (with bad grammar) or answer incompletely/with incorrect information, probably for the sake of racking up post counts...

It might just be me, but even though it took more time for replies (like a years ago? not sure), but averagely speaking, the posts were more thought out and informative :|

This topic comes around constantly, yet the forum continues to grow

maybe you are just bored

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have been a member of dead forums in the past. This place is far from dead.

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

1. Its become faster every day since upgrade.

2. And I really don't understand whine about recent topics panel. It didn't show at all in previous mobile version.

3. You can also get direct bookmark to recent views, or create your own custom page for it. So in the end you are just lazy and blame forums for that.

Having to use numbers because you can't do anything with moving quotes at all in the mobile version, previously you could easily move things around, and split quotes... Anyways,

1. Good, but it's still incredibly slow compared to the old forum, which IIRC was blazing fast.

2. But why would anyone use the mobile version? I just used the desktop version on my phone, and the recent topics thing was on the right on the home page.

3. Not sure what you mean here, maybe a feature I don't know about yet. Can you maybe explain a little more on this point? :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I don't think it's dying yet but I personally slowly stopped using it regularly (visiting daily to about 1-2 week). My main issue is the forum feels slower (despite people saying otherwise) and the fact that whenever I like, quote, etc, the page refreshes which kind of turns me off from doing it because of the overall slowness.

I think the reason you feel its dying is the reordering of topics. I use to mainly look at the top of the page when general, off topic, reviews, etc. were at but now things are rearranged a bit. The off topic is all the way at the bottom and either people don't want to scroll down or don't know it's there but that thread is dying.

edit: last time I was here the off topic was at the bottom...I'm I going crazy o.O

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

51 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

3. Not sure what you mean here, maybe a feature I don't know about yet. Can you maybe explain a little more on this point? :)

That what Activity streams are supposed to do. Sadly you can't set them to show only topics. @Syntaxvgm has some improvements for this version.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

29 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That what Activity streams are supposed to do. Sadly you can't set them to show only topics. @Syntaxvgm has some improvements for this version.

I've seen his thing (I think), but I suppose that doesn't work on my phone (and also the things he changed weren't really things I wanted to change :P (we're maybe talking about a different thread))

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I used to be one of the older forum users (ygohome). After the forum credentials were hacked, when I logged in It asked for me to change my password (rightly so), which I did.  But it also asked me to confirm my email address.  Neither my gmail nor my other emails would receive the authorization emails.  I would occaisionally retry about once or twice a month and I gave up. I think the problem was similar to how the new forum has issues with some microsoft domain emails.

That was awhile ago.  I recently I heard mention on the WAN Show that there was a new updated forum, so I decided it was time to try again, today.  Yay, I'm back (but with a newer account).  So maybe some of the drop in posts or missing older users was similar to what I ran into.