What could cause a GTX 970 G1 to run at PCIe x8 on any motherboard?

Dabombinable
2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The Gen 2.0 lanes run from the chipset, the top slot is the only one that uses lanes from the CPU, and as a result runs at x16, though only with my GTX 650ti plugged in.

Gen 2.0 lanes are through the chipset, but, there are other peripherals that use pci-e 3.0 lanes. I'm assuming by your comment that that implies you have no other devices using pcie 3.0 lanes.

HOWEVER, regardless of whether the card is operating at 16x or 8x

with PCI-E 3.0... it will NOT affect GPU performance

remember, in SLI or X-fire the GPU's operate at 8x with NO reduction in performance. PCI-e 3.0 at 8x simply has more bandwidth than a GPU needs to communicate with the CPU.

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Your going to use that board just to see if it's your card that has the problem or is it gpu-z that's derping and not give you the correct info.  Looks something like this in the bios

141010215308.jpg

7 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

He's saying to NOT use gpu-z to detect the pci-e lanes, but instead checking the pci-e setup in the BIOS.

Motherboard reports it as being at x8 as well (H87M Pro)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Maxxtraxx said:

Gen 2.0 lanes are through the chipset, but, there are other peripherals that use pci-e 3.0 lanes. I'm assuming by your comment that that implies you have no other devices using pcie 3.0 lanes.

HOWEVER, regardless of whether the card is operating at 16x or 8x

with PCI-E 3.0... it will NOT affect GPU performance

remember, in SLI or X-fire the GPU's operate at 8x with NO reduction in performance. PCI-e 3.0 at 8x simply has more bandwidth than a GPU needs to communicate with the CPU.

Its just annoying that's all and another problem that I want to sort out or at least find the cause of.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its just annoying that's all and another problem that I want to sort out or at least find the cause of.

100% agreed, I would be incredibly annoyed by the problem as well. I am however, out of ideas at the moment. Sorry.

39 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Motherboard reports it as being at x8 as well (H87M Pro)

I doubt Gigabyte will limit the gpu to x8, but they did with some of their low-end gpus. Your only option right now, if you can is to borrow a GTX 970 from your friend and see if it's still reports it at x8.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list