Rate Build 1-10

Carlos Martinez

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($41.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($319.88 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($17.78 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $992.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-14 20:30 EST-0500

+1 for solid i5 pick

+2 for 390 > 970, like someone who actually knows their hardware

+1 for WD > seagate, like someone who actually knows their hardware

+1 for EVGA S.Nova psu, solid pickup.

-1 for gigabyte board, when there's a better quality asus board at that price

-1 for windows 10

-1 for limiting yourself to 8gbs, unless you buy a whole new kit of 16 (2x8gb)

Overall, 6.5/10, above average, but has issues.

(Yes, those +1's and -1's were completely irrelevant to final score)

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, Atmos said:

+1 for solid i5 pick

-1 for windows 10

I would agree with you, except for Win10. It's got DX12 support which if he's going to be gaming on it, is going to be a boon especially given the AMD card.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

I would agree with you, except for Win10. It's got DX12 support which if he's going to be gaming on it, is going to be a boon especially given the AMD card.

At the moment dx12 has a very small adoption rate, don't expect to see much out of it until late 2016 or early 2017.

Until then, dx11 is fine, and that way you don't have to deal with a buggy os forcing you to instal os breaking updates, and constant phoning home to microsoft and forced pushing of ads on your desktop start screen.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

+1 for solid i5 pick

-1 for windows 10

I'm sorry. But did you just put Asus in the same sentence as quality? You are a joker my friend.

Steve

7/10

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

+1 for solid i5 pick

-1 for windows 10

Fuck ASUS. Their Customer Support is terrible, my first board from them was DOA, and two of my friends had their X99 boards arrive DOA as well. If I could afford it, I would jump onto a Gigabyte or EVGA board the first chance I get. 

Also, Windows 10 is fine, and is much better than Windows 8. Don't knock off a point for this, because you're stick in the past. :)

At the moment dx12 has a very small adoption rate, don't expect to see much out of it until late 2016 or early 2017.

Until then, dx11 is fine, and that way you don't have to deal with a buggy os forcing you to instal os breaking updates, and constant phoning home to microsoft and forced pushing of ads on your desktop start screen.

If he does go with Win7 he'll still need to upgrade once 10 reaches maturity and when games start to really support DX12. The bugginess is a real putoff though.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

2 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

I'm sorry. But did you just put Asus in the same sentence as quality? You are a joker my friend.

asus motherboards are great

btw you should fix your signature since there is no longer a 3 line limit

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

Asus is regarded as one of the highest quality motherboard manufacturers out there mate, sorry you didn't know that, but that's the general consensus from across the tech community; I guess you should do your research.

And yes, I know there are great options out there, but if you had to pick a singular brand as having the highest qc for motherboards across all models, then it goes to asus. Msi's low end boards are trash, ASRock's low end boards are trash, gigabyte's low end and mid end boards are hit and miss, and don't even get me started on foxcon or biostar

2 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

Fuck ASUS. Their Customer Support is terrible, my first board from them was DOA, and two of my friends had their X99 boards arrive DOA as well. If I could afford it, I would jump onto a Gigabyte or EVGA board the first chance I get. 

Also, Windows 10 is fine, and is much better than Windows 8. Don't knock off a point for this, because you're stick in the past. :)

Just because you've had a bad experience with asus, does not mean that everyone has a bad experience. We're not talking customer support, we're talking about product. And once again, i defer that asus is widely regarded as having the best qc for their motherboards out there.

Windows 10 is also NOT fine. Between forcing updates that can potentially break programs you have installed, to phoning home to microsoft every chance it gets, to pushing ads into your everyday use. W10 will NOT be fine until microsoft rolls out the ability to stop all phoning home with personal data. 

Oh, also windows 8 and 8.1 were garbage, 8.1 was decades better than 8, but 7 was still just better; they didn't try to force a "touch friendly" interface on everyone, regardless of the platform they were on.

3 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Asus is regarded as one of the highest quality motherboard manufacturers out there mate, sorry you didn't know that, but that's the general consensus from across the tech community; I guess you should do your research.

And yes, I know there are great options out there, but if you had to pick a singular brand as having the highest qc for motherboards across all models, then it goes to asus. Msi's low end boards are trash, ASRock's low end boards are trash, gigabyte's low end and mid end boards are hit and miss, and don't even get me started on foxcon or biostar

ASUS has awful support, and awful quality control on their boards. Please pull the ASUS-branded wool from your eyes. Their boards are overpriced, the quality is subpar, and they attempt to sell their boards with unnecessary flashy features, versus quality hardware. EVGA and MSi stand as the best X99 chipset board manufacturers right now, and I'm willing to provide additional data if you wish to discuss this further. 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

asus motherboards are great

btw you should fix your signature since there is no longer a 3 line limit

I have to admit I used to be running 2 asus boards and still run one but on the sole reason i got killer deals. Sure, they be good quality but good luck when it goes wrong.

TBH, the best manufacturer is largely personal preference or else why would anyone buy anything else if the best manufacturer was defined. I'm not saying Asus motherboards are bad but as a company I prefer to spend my mulla elsewhere though if it's cheap i'm not gonna say no. Though I have to say one of my Asus boards that I was using for less than a year decided my CPU was running at 125c. Constantly. I didn't even dare RMA it from the terrible tales though I doubt it could be worse than Zotac.

Steve

1 minute ago, Laputacake said:

I have to admit I used to be running 2 asus boards and still run one but on the sole reason i got killer deals. Sure, they be good quality but good luck when it goes wrong.

My asus motherboard died. Wasnt even the motherboards fault.

I RMAd it and within a few weeks I had a brand new one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just because you've had a bad experience with asus, does not mean that everyone has a bad experience. We're not talking customer support, we're talking about product. And once again, i defer that asus is widely regarded as having the best qc for their motherboards out there.

Windows 10 is also NOT fine. Between forcing updates that can potentially break programs you have installed, to phoning home to microsoft every chance it gets, to pushing ads into your everyday use. W10 will NOT be fine until microsoft rolls out the ability to stop all phoning home with personal data. 

Oh, also windows 8 and 8.1 were garbage, 8.1 was decades better than 8, but 7 was still just better; they didn't try to force a "touch friendly" interface on everyone, regardless of the platform they were on.

I haven't had any issues with updates, but that's subjective and more about every users' individual experience. However, Windows 10's "phoning home" was introduced to Windows 7 and 8 via updates, so it's no longer a fair point. Additionally, please direct my attention towards ads? I don't have any in my start menu, notifications area, taskbar, or anything else. I haven't seen an ad since I installed Windows 10.

5 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

I haven't had any issues with updates, but that's subjective and more about every users' individual experience. However, Windows 10's "phoning home" was introduced to Windows 7 and 8 via updates, so it's no longer a fair point. Additionally, please direct my attention towards ads? I don't have any in my start menu, notifications area, taskbar, or anything else. I haven't seen an ad since I installed Windows 10.

Since windows 10 decided to automatically install itself on my machine and bricked the os, I can't take a screen cap from my actual desktop because i've since rolled back to a stable build of w7 ult; however that doesn't change the point that by default w10 displays ads in your start menu that you have to go into and manually turn off; and regardless of whether or not you have it turned off the os will continue to phone in with ads, but just not display them.

start_menu_sugested_app-600x443.jpg

(Censoring not required of personal information, photo is freely available in uncensored edit by betanews.com)

10 out of ten. Amazing value for 1000 bucks. you have 8gb of vram, DDR4, Skylake, monitor, and os

41 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Since windows 10 decided to automatically install itself on my machine and bricked the os, I can't take a screen cap from my actual desktop because i've since rolled back to a stable build of w7 ult; however that doesn't change the point that by default w10 displays ads in your start menu that you have to go into and manually turn off; and regardless of whether or not you have it turned off the os will continue to phone in with ads, but just not display them.

start_menu_sugested_app-600x443.jpg

(Censoring not required of personal information, photo is freely available in uncensored edit by betanews.com)

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but my start menu doesn't look anything like that...

F0P5mDg.png

I managed this solely via the "Personalize" menu.

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Granted its not a motherboard but I had a video card from ASUS, it said on multiple stores that it was a 1gb card

Windows said it was a 1gb card

asus  site said its a 512 hmm..maybe they have different models of the card

Nope it just incorrectly told windows it has 1gb and caused constant crashing in games when they tried to access the extra 500mb

Oh and they never took responsibility and replaced the cards with another comparableish functional unit, just rmaed with the same useless model.

And ads in the start menu? what the fuck are you talking about? ive been using win10 since launch and haven't seen A SINGLE ad

There was a suggested apps from the windows store thing which takes 0 effort to turn off..and im pretty sure it even suggested free apps though it

You have no god damn idea what you are talking about.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1 hour ago, NonaHexa said:

Agreed with everything save that last part, cause I don't know him that well, and he does bring up valid claims for win 10, though in fairness to win 10, most shitettings can be disabled, as for the ASUS mobo, I disagree fully as Gigabyte MoBos are stable as hell and I've been using them since forever, same with Kingston/Samsung it doesn't matter how bad-ass/popular your hardware may be, if it doesn't last long enough then it's pretty much useless...

OT: is greater than my own rig, so I'll rate it 9/10 as I don't have a proper basis of comparison save my own win exp/rating with 7.9/9

Conventional wisdom: Logic of the ignorant...
Assumption: Conventional wisdom of the arrogant...
AMD: r9 290x 4gig

AMD: FX-8350 Blk 8 core

GIGABYTE: GA-990 FXA-UD3 R5

KINGSTON: 1600 2x8/2x4 24 gb dual ch

THERMALTAKE: 750 W modular