MSI R9 390 Alt-Tab Display Issue

KDBOrion

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so please be forgiving.  I have recently upgraded from a GTX 960 to an MSI R9 390 (my first AMD gpu).  I am experiencing a strange issue where my display looks weird after Alt-Tabbing.  It sometimes happens when exiting or entering a game as well.  This only happens to full screen applications.  The best way I have to replicate it is to open up a game and Alt-Tab until it happens.  If I Alt-Tab back into a full screen application, it goes away most of the time.  Please see the pictures attached, and any advice is appreciated.  It is worth noting that I bought this card secondhand, which is why I am worried.

My Specs:  Intel i5 4670,  Intel DH87RL m/b (don't judge, it was all I could get my hands on at the time :)), 12GB ram, MSI R9 390 8GB, Antec True Power 750W Gold PSU.

Software: Windows 8.1 Pro (Tried 10 Pro as well), Crimson Edition 16.1.1 Hotfix.

Nothing is overclocked.
I don't know if this is relevant, but I see that the memory clock jumps up and down from 150 to 1500 every 2-3 seconds while typing this.

I have tried a different version of windows as mentioned, and also re-downloaded the drivers and re-installed.  

I would also like to ask another question.  I saw fallout 4 running on a different PC with an R9 290X at full graphics, and it was running great, but I get horrible fps even on low settings.  Is this because of the new crimson drivers?  Would using older drivers solve it?  I know this is a known issue at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

gpu drivers

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

10 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

gpu drivers

My first guess, but why can't I find anyone experiencing similar issues?  I will try removing my drivers with DDU and reinstall to see what happens, but it will not be my first time reinstalling the drivers, so I don't think it will make a difference.

4 minutes ago, KDBOrion said:

My first guess, but why can't I find anyone experiencing similar issues?  I will try removing my drivers with DDU and reinstall to see what happens, but it will not be my first time reinstalling the drivers, so I don't think it will make a difference.

I have honestly never seen this before. And I have been running AMD cards left and right. Drivers don't make your card do that. Unless you didn't remove the Nvidia drivers

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

7 minutes ago, afyeung said:

I have honestly never seen this before. And I have been running AMD cards left and right. Drivers don't make your card do that. Unless you didn't remove the Nvidia drivers

I removed them, but ran DDU just now to be safe.  I have my intel HD drivers still installed though, since I sometimes use it to run a second monitor if I have to.  I will reinstall my AMD drivers and see what happens, and also try a previous driver for good measure if this doesn't solve the problem. 

Ok, so I tried Crimson 15.12 as well and I am experiencing the same issue.  I also disabled the onboard display in the BIOS and used DDU to remove its drivers and still the same result.  I think I may have a damaged card.

5 minutes ago, KDBOrion said:

Ok, so I tried Crimson 15.12 as well and I am experiencing the same issue.  I also disabled the onboard display in the BIOS and used DDU to remove its drivers and still the same result.  I think I may have a damaged card.

Probably. If it works fine with the 960. Then the 390 is busted

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Did you buy the card brand new? I've experienced a similar issue and I sent it back to the store and got a new one. Still have the driver CD that came with it?  Try those drivers.  If that doesn't work I don't think this is a software problem. 

If you have some spare time try to put the Gpu in a different pc. 

And what about the temperatures? 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

I have a problem like this where whenever i tab out while using my XFX R9 390x, my screen goes black and stops displaying all together on my monitor.. the only way i can fix this, is to restart my PC.. It's a right pain in the ass..

1 hour ago, KDBOrion said:

10 minutes ago, RubberDucky_EN said:

I have a problem like this where whenever i tab out while using my XFX R9 390x, my screen goes black and stops displaying all together on my monitor.. the only way i can fix this, is to restart my PC.. It's a right pain in the ass..

I had a Sapphire 390x which was DOA; it did exactly the same thing but worse, as in blacking out areas entirely. I advise both of you to RMA.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

1 hour ago, RubberDucky_EN said:

that could be from faulty PSU or an unstable OC. What are those?

Just now, Alexokan said:

that could be from faulty PSU or an unstable OC. What are those?

Well i haven't OC'd my GPU at all, so it couldn't be that, and i am using a Novatech 750w Powerstation v2 semi-modular psu that i got about 2 years ago, though, it has shown no other signs of dying.. I'm really not sure. 

2 minutes ago, RubberDucky_EN said:

Well i haven't OC'd my GPU at all, so it couldn't be that, and i am using a Novatech 750w Powerstation v2 semi-modular psu that i got about 2 years ago, though, it has shown no other signs of dying.. I'm really not sure. 

It looks like that is a mult-irail configuration for the 12v, which could be causing you issues. 

I know I had issues with a dying PSU that supplied the 12v on multiple rails with my 390. I had coil whine and intermittent display issues, both of which went away after replacing the PSU. 

but, it could be any number of things, wouldn't hurt testing another PSU to verify. 

19 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

It looks like that is a mult-irail configuration for the 12v, which could be causing you issues. 

I know I had issues with a dying PSU that supplied the 12v on multiple rails with my 390. I had coil whine and intermittent display issues, both of which went away after replacing the PSU. 

but, it could be any number of things, wouldn't hurt testing another PSU to verify. 

I don't think the rails are the issue. My Antec HCG900 works on four 12v rails and my 390x is working fine. Now if the PSU is dying that's a whole other ballgame.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

1 minute ago, sushisharkjl said:

I don't think the rails are the issue. My Antec HCG900 works on four 12v rails and my 390x is working fine. Now if the PSU is dying that's a whole other ballgame.

Also, surely if my PSU was failing, i'd experience issues while putting the components under load etc when i am drawing the most power from the wall?

Edit: Grammar

Just now, RubberDucky_EN said:

Also, surely if  my PSU was failing, i'd experience issues while putting the components under load etc when i am drawing the most power from the wall?

You most likely would. I don't think the PSU's at fault; try RMA'ing the card.

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

You most likely would. I don't think the PSU's at fault; try RMA'ing the card.

I'll contact XFX. I bought the card around 3/4 of a year ago now, so i'm not so sure that i can return it via amazon, but it came with a warranty card, so i'll give XFX a shot and see what they say. This issue only started occurring recently, so i'm really not sure.. Perhaps the GPU itself developed a fault? I have used it pretty much continually every day and frequently running it under full stress since i got it, so that might factor in to this issue.

1 minute ago, RubberDucky_EN said:

I'll contact XFX. I bought the card around 3/4 of a year ago now, so i'm not so sure that i can return it via amazon, but it came with a warranty card, so i'll give XFX a shot and see what they say. This issue only started occurring recently, so i'm really not sure.. Perhaps the GPU itself developed a fault? I have used it pretty much continually every day and frequently running it under full stress since i got it, so that might factor in to this issue.

XFX has lifetime warranty so you should be good on that front.

Just now, Alexokan said:

XFX has lifetime warranty so you should be good on that front.

Yep, i'll check it out. I assume this is still the case if i buy it from a third party such as Amazon?

5 minutes ago, RubberDucky_EN said:

Also, surely if my PSU was failing, i'd experience issues while putting the components under load etc when i am drawing the most power from the wall?

Edit: Grammar

wouldn't rule it out. The main symptom I was getting was black screens and freezes, system would stay powered up.  

Just now, Alexokan said:

wouldn't rule it out. The main symptom I was getting was black screens and freezes, system would stay powered up.  

Yes, this sounds like the same issue that i'm having. Everything else including audio would be perfectly fine, but nothing would display on my monitor. It happens occasionally, but is certainly irritating when it does.. 

9 hours ago, dionkoffie said:

Did you buy the card brand new? I've experienced a similar issue and I sent it back to the store and got a new one. Still have the driver CD that came with it?  Try those drivers.  If that doesn't work I don't think this is a software problem. 

If you have some spare time try to put the Gpu in a different pc. 

And what about the temperatures? 

My temps are normal and I didn't buy the card new, but will be returning it tonight.  I will try reseating it, but I doubt that it will make a difference.  

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies.  

So today I went back to the guy I bought the card from and we tested it in his PC.  It works perfectly.  I'm starting to wonder if it could be my motherboard or PSU.  I'm going to try and get another PSU and motherboard to test in my PC tomorrow.